resting heart rate

mattjf

Jul 31, 2005
Quick question about RHR. This morning I used my polar HRM to measure my RHR. I had to roll over and pick it up off the floor and then try and get the strap on me without much movement. I then hit start on my watch and laid in bed for about 2 minutes. Should I take my average over these two minutes, or should I take the lowest value?

My HRM kept beeping every time it hit a new low, so then I'd lift my head to look and that would cause my HR to rise slightly.

For instance, from 00:01:15 to 00:02:05, my HR declined the whole time. It reached a low at 00:02:15 with 42bpm. The watch beeped and I lifted my hand and head to look at the watch. Over the next 25 seconds my HR rose to 53bpm and then began to fall again (I stopped it as it fell).

Would this mean my RHR is 42bpm?

-Matt

I usually try to lie on my side so that I can look at the HRM when taking a reading. Also, I try to get a reading over a minute or two rather than just a few beats. It may take about 10 to 15 minutes after you put on the strap for your HR to settle back down.

The two most important things about getting a RHR reading are repeatability and consistency. You'll want to take the measurement under the same conditions each time.

Oddly enough my RHR is almost always higher in the mornings when I wake up than just before I fall asleep at night.