resting heart rate

nitrogenmustard

Feb 3, 2004
hi everyone

i just went to wal-mart a few days ago, and whilst i was waiting for my perscription i sat down at that heart rate/blood pressure thing that they have, and to my astonishmnt, my heart rate was 37bpm. that is way lower than most other people that i know, but is it lower than other cyclists?
p.s.-what ould be the bpm of a professional endurance rider?

-nitro

Originally posted by nitrogenmustard
hi everyone

i just went to wal-mart a few days ago, and whilst i was waiting for my perscription i sat down at that heart rate/blood pressure thing that they have, and to my astonishmnt, my heart rate was 37bpm. that is way lower than most other people that i know, but is it lower than other cyclists?
p.s.-what ould be the bpm of a professional endurance rider?

-nitro

I would get a second opinion. Walking around Wal-Mart is not the way I understand that you get an accurate resting pulse. That seem mighty low to me. I would question the accuracy of the machine. I believe Armstrong's is 32. 37 seems very low to me but I am not an expert.

i get either 37 or 38 in the mornings with a polar HRM (measured every week after monday rest day)... it's not that low

It's pretty low if you're strolling around walmart. Proper resting heartrate taken after waking up would likely be even lower.

Mine is 36 when sitting on the edge of my bed or in a very boring lecture. I've had a few friend nudge me looking very woried for my health when it drops that low. Haha. Unfit students.......
Oh i'm 18 male and do a hell of a lot of distance training and racing.

On a really good day. First thing in the morning without raising my head my best is 48. AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS GOOD!

yeah.. it is low if you've been walking round bloody Wal Mart all day. damn those places are awful.

Almost embarrassed! :confused: Just started cycling, and just started checking my morning resting heart rate. I figured 56 is not two bad, as the national average (non riders) is 72?

So I’ve got room for improvement. Ride On Sam :p

my current resting heart rate is 61. This was taken when I first woke up using a Polar F1 before I got out of bed

I can make mine drop about 6 bpm by just thinking about total relaxation. At the same time, everything gets kind of a black overtone, like the world is fading away. I suspect this is a drop in blood pressure. Mine pegs in under 40 in the morning lying down.

ed073 said:
Tour riders heart rates are on the Polar homepage.

http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html

Great link ed073. I heard Polar was posting TDF riders HR profiles for different stages but I forgot to look. Thanks for reminding me and sharing this site. My resting HR has never dropped below 50. I max out about 205. 32 years old and have been riding for over ten years. Just bought a HR monitor 6 months ago and I have been able to focus on riding within a certain range, helping to drop my average resting HR.

KGnagey said:
Great link ed073. I heard Polar was posting TDF riders HR profiles for different stages but I forgot to look. Thanks for reminding me and sharing this site. My resting HR has never dropped below 50. I max out about 205. 32 years old and have been riding for over ten years. Just bought a HR monitor 6 months ago and I have been able to focus on riding within a certain range, helping to drop my average resting HR.

Please explain. "Riding within a certain range". I use the Kovarian (-1sp) method which bases my training zone on age and resting heart rate. I keep my intensity such that I stay in this zone. Except for attacking a climb.

Is there more that I am missing? Thanks, a Newcomer.

starship said:
Almost embarrassed! :confused: Just started cycling, and just started checking my morning resting heart rate. I figured 56 is not two bad, as the national average (non riders) is 72?

So I’ve got room for improvement. Ride On Sam :p

Well, I just took my rate here at work at my desk, and sure enough, I got a 72. I am.....average :eek:

Since we're on the subject of heart rates........has anybody out there tried one of the new strapless kind??? I'm just wondering what people think of them.

KGnagey said:

no worries mate! :D

ricstern said:
some, hopefully, interesting stuff there. if you click to the French language Polar site http://www.polarfrance.fr/TdF_2004/Tour2004_Equipe_du_Tour_Courbes_FC.html

there's at least one more riders data on there, maybe more in the future

ric
Looks like the french site is one stage behind the english site. The french site looks to have some more rider profile info though. Too bad I never took French class beyond high school.

KGnagey said:
Looks like the french site is one stage behind the english site. The french site looks to have some more rider profile info though. Too bad I never took French class beyond high school.

Your Latin seems to be OK, though.