resting heart rate

It's important to know that a high or low resting hear rate doesn't indicate your speed on a bike our even your endurance. Nor does a high or low max heart rate.

RowRunBike said:
It's important to know that a high or low resting hear rate doesn't indicate your speed on a bike our even your endurance. Nor does a high or low max heart rate.
I am curious about your name, row run bike. I would like to know about running bikes if there is such a thing and rowing bikes. Please fill me in.
Julie:confused:

My name stands for my 3 favorite sports, rowing, runing and biking. I have never heard of rowing or running bikes.

When Miguel Indurain was competing during the Tour De France, it was announced that his resting heart rate was 28. I've heard that more than once.
Mine is 61, I'm 52.

I chose "below 40" but I really should qualify that answer as it may not be totally accurate. I'm not exactly sure what constitutes "at rest". To get below 40 I'm practically comatose. All I need do is stand and walk across the room and I'm instantly in the mid to high 50s. The "below 40" I've observed on my Cardiosport HRM is "39" which certainly isn't much below 40 and I've only seen it a few times. Perhaps what's most important to me is that when I started cycling, my resting heart rate was in the mid to high 70s.

Just sitting around in the afternoon I can expect readings of around 48-52 but I'm also significantly older than prime cyclists which, I think, may lend to a lower heart rate. It certainly lends to a lower maximum and a lower maximum speed. :(

gntlmn said:
I can make mine drop about 6 bpm by just thinking about total relaxation...
I can make mine drop by about the same amount just by thinking "go lower, damn you!" a few times. :D

starship said:
Almost embarrassed! :confused: Just started cycling, and just started checking my morning resting heart rate. I figured 56 is not two bad, as the national average (non riders) is 72?

So I’ve got room for improvement. Ride On Sam :p
When I started cycling my resting HR was around 56-57.. now (2 and a half years later; and earlier, at the end of last summer) it's in the high 30s.

rek said:
When I started cycling my resting HR was around 56-57.. now (2 and a half years later; and earlier, at the end of last summer) it's in the high 30s.
I'm a little shocked at my own results... I have dropped from a resting HR of 72 BPM down to 62 BPM in the course of a couple of weeks.

Some of that has to be just normal variation, right? I only started cycling again for real about two months ago.

RedSky said:
I'm a little shocked at my own results... I have dropped from a resting HR of 72 BPM down to 62 BPM in the course of a couple of weeks.

Some of that has to be just normal variation, right? I only started cycling again for real about two months ago.
resting HR drops pretty quickly with training

Miguel Indurain and Brad Beven (a top australian triathlete) both have resting heart rates in the high 20's. Me - low 40's.

Resting heart rate is usually taken when you first wake up in the morning.

I'm new to the sport, just now trying to deceide the correct bike. I took my resting heartrate atmy desk at work and it was 60bpm. Hoping this is decent.

Any suggestions on a good first bike?:confused:

my resting heart rate is usually about 37-38 when I try measure in the morning. However, I am more impressed that you were able to keep such a low heart rate in wal-mart...my heart must jump 30-40 bpm when i walk into that store, for some reason everyone there drives me crazy. all the workers are soooo slow.

ed073 said:
Tour riders heart rates are on the Polar homepage.

http://tdf.polar.fi/tourdefrance/heartrates.html

The thing that's really amazing to me is when you look at the HR's for some of these guys while they are racing! I remember looking at Knaven's on a long road stage where they were riding something like 30MPH for 4+ straight hours with some good rolling terrain, his average HR for the day was only 135. Also, his max that day was only something like 168. I hit that coming up the hill I live on. My resting HR is in the high 40's but for me 135 is a recovery ride or a long slow ride, not a TDF stage!

corin said:
The thing that's really amazing to me is when you look at the HR's for some of these guys while they are racing! I remember looking at Knaven's on a long road stage where they were riding something like 30MPH for 4+ straight hours with some good rolling terrain, his average HR for the day was only 135. Also, his max that day was only something like 168. I hit that coming up the hill I live on. My resting HR is in the high 40's but for me 135 is a recovery ride or a long slow ride, not a TDF stage!

in part, the reason is that a) they're much fitter than you! thus 40 odd clicks an hour is a lot less work for them than you, and
b) they're riding in a group (i.e., lots of drafting). Therefore, the intensity is reduced when 'on the wheels', data from previous Tour stages show that actual power output can be exceedingly low when finishing in the lead group on a flat stage (i.e., 98 W).

Servais heart rate does go up when he works hard!

ric

ricstern said:
actual power output can be exceedingly low when finishing in the lead group on a flat stage (i.e., 98 W).
Thats very low

My current heart rate (sitting on my chair, doing nothing but browsing the web) is exactly 60. I want to get my heart rate even lower....how though?

In my thirties, my resting rate used to hover around 36... of course I'd get dizzy if I stood up too fast, but that's a different issue. Now, as I approach fifty, my heart rate averages about 42. My pet peeve is maximum heartrate guidelines, upon which so much training advice is based. If I push myself to nearly exploding capacity, my HR maxes out at 145... I can never approach the 170-175 range that is recommended (i.e. 220 minus your age). So much for generic training rules. Bottom line: if it feels like you're training hard, you probably are!

dkrice said:
In my thirties, my resting rate used to hover around 36... of course I'd get dizzy if I stood up too fast, but that's a different issue. Now, as I approach fifty, my heart rate averages about 42. My pet peeve is maximum heartrate guidelines, upon which so much training advice is based. If I push myself to nearly exploding capacity, my HR maxes out at 145... I can never approach the 170-175 range that is recommended (i.e. 220 minus your age). So much for generic training rules. Bottom line: if it feels like you're training hard, you probably are!

unfortunately, you should never have been prescribed exercise based on the 220-age regression equation, it only holds true for a population, and has a standard deviation of +-15 bpm. in other words it isn't useful to base training on that result. if you need to know your HRmax then you need to do a proper test, which should only be done after checking you're fit enough/healthy to do such testing.

ric