resting HR and preformance

crazyb1

Feb 29, 2012
Is low resting heart really a reliable indication of physical fitness? While some cyclists might have hr as low as 28, I don't think everybody can physically get to that point. So how do you figure out how low you can go? I'm just curious.

Actually there are a few...very few that do have a resting pulse rate in the high 20's, Lance Armstrong was in the low 30's. One of the pros I read about, can't remember his name, had an average rate lower then Lance yet he could never beat Lance. This leads me to believe that the resting heart rate is not the most important factor, it's part of an equation that has other factors that make up the sum total.

You can't figure out how low you can go. Don't fret over how low the resting pulse rate, is rather worry about training, the pulse rate will figure it itself out!

I've heard a better metric is not how low the RHR is, but how quickly it recovers from an elevated rate.

But, I also agree with Froze--ride, ride, ride and let the heart figure it out on its own.

Originally Posted by Froze .

Actually there are a few...very few that do have a resting pulse rate in the high 20's, Lance Armstrong was in the low 30's. One of the pros I read about, can't remember his name, had an average rate lower then Lance yet he could never beat Lance. This leads me to believe that the resting heart rate is not the most important factor, it's part of an equation that has other factors that make up the sum total.

You can't figure out how low you can go. Don't fret over how low the resting pulse rate, is rather worry about training, the pulse rate will figure it itself out!
Big Mig recorded 28bpm. It was first published in Bicycling Magazine at 38, then they ran a retraction the month after correcting it to 28 lol!

My ex-lady had a resting HR 10 beats lower than mine, needless to say I could crack her on any ride. Obviously not a comparative indicator.

Originally Posted by crazyb1 .

Is low resting heart really a reliable indication of physical fitness? While some cyclists might have hr as low as 28, I don't think everybody can physically get to that point. So how do you figure out how low you can go? I'm just curious.
There are very few ways to lower your heart rate. Long term exercise seems to help. Fatigue will help.

---

I get up and work a couple hours and then bicycle. My heart rate is up to 60 by the time I get on my bicycle. Not the lowest, but there are no prizes.

During the past few years I haven't been the fittest person around but during an overnight stay in hospital a couple of years ago, my heart rate would constantly dip into the 30s when I tried to sleep - which would set off the alarms and wake me up. I wish a low resting heart rate was an indicator of fitness because if it was, I should be flying!

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

During the past few years I haven't been the fittest person around but during an overnight stay in hospital a couple of years ago, my heart rate would constantly dip into the 30s when I tried to sleep - which would set off the alarms and wake me up.
I wish a low resting heart rate was an indicator of fitness because if it was, I should be flying!
I'm right with you. I have had the exact same thing happen to me the last time I was in the hospital. I'm a really deep sleeper so the alarms didn't wake me up...the nurses shaking me did. I repeatedly told them I workout that's normal but they didn't really listen until I gave a rather annoyed and ****** "I train 7 hrs a day, that's normal, I'm sick I need to sleep!!". I can't remember if they silenced the alarm or lowered the HR that set off the alarm but they didn't wake me after that. And I also wish my RHR was a fitness indicator, after sitting for 1 min in the doctors office they measured 40bpm.

its not an information to compare you with other riders, resting pulse is an indication for you of your own body, serious cyclists should keep a log through the year, first thing to do once you wake up, in general terms resting HR is going to decrease as you get in shape, you can also cross check with other variables to avoid overtraining for example, it might be as important as to keeping a weight log,