Reston VA bike routes/trails

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Baronn1, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    I'll be spending the week in Reston, VA. Looks to be pretty crowded, but I'll have my car, so can
    drive some distance to ride after work. Any suggestions to get off the beaten path, or at least
    roads with bike lanes? I'm willing to drive up to an hour. Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    no newsgroup access while away, please respond to sender . thanks.

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be spending the week in Reston, VA. Looks to be pretty crowded, but I'll have my car, so can
    > drive some distance to ride after work. Any suggestions to get off the beaten path, or at least
    > roads with bike lanes? I'm willing to drive up to an hour. Thanks!

  3. The best bike path is the W&OD (Washington and Old Dominion). It runs from National Airport to
    Purcellville, VA.

    I usually start at Reston Town Center and head south to the White House or north to Purcellville.
    Either ride is about 50 miles round trip. Instead of crossing the Potomac you can head south to Mt
    Vernon. I have not done it yet this year, but I think the ride to Mt Vernon from Reston is about 70+
    miles round trip.

    Reston is filled with local paved bike paths, but I think the W&OD is the most interesting.

    If you stay within Reston, I doubt that you will need your car to get to any of the rides I
    described above. However, if you do decide to take your car there are numerous places to park next
    to the W&OD.

    You might want to try the WHIRL ride on Saturday in Rock Creek. That would require a car to get to
    the start in Garrett Park.

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'll be spending the week in Reston, VA. Looks to be pretty crowded, but I'll have my car, so can
    > drive some distance to ride after work. Any suggestions to get off the beaten path, or at least
    > roads with bike lanes? I'm willing to drive up to an hour. Thanks!

  4. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    "Samuel Burkeen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The best bike path is the W&OD (Washington and Old Dominion). It runs from National Airport to
    > Purcellville, VA.

    A decade ago, I lived in Reston for 3 years and commuted on the W&OD trail to work in Alexandria. I
    agree with you view that it is a great bike trail most of the work week. But, it use to be almost
    impossible on weekends for rollerblades, walkers, etc. So I would guess that Baronn1 just needs to
    schedule his time accordingly.

    Reston itself is scenic with a selection of lakes (ponds) and I thought worthy of a cruise around.
    In addition to bike/pedestrian trails, the roads were in my memory fairly wide and accommodating.

    The area around DC major was growing so fast that I would just find some nice distant bike route
    (maybe near Frederick, MD) only to discover that it was filled with new housing developments the
    next time that I visited it.

    Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City

  5. Nick Keenan

    Nick Keenan Guest

    One place to look is www.waba.org.

    There are lots of bike trails in No. VA and the DC area. However I have to agree with the assessment
    that on weekends they are not a whole lot of fun because they are so crowded. Actually, they're
    downright dangerous. Unfortunately, the law in Virginia is that cyclists are prohibited from using
    the roadway if a bicycle path is present.

    You don't say whether you have a car or what kind of riding you like to do. If you are into
    sightseeing I have two recommendations. The first is to go into the city. DC is a very bikable city.
    Because of the threat of terrorism a lot of the roads around the Capital and the White House have
    been closed to cars, but they're open to bikes if we're not at Code Orange. So the best way to see
    the monuments is by bike. If you've never been I would go check out the Lincoln, Washington, and
    Jefferson memorials, then cruise by the Capitol and the White House. You can extend your ride by
    going into Potomac Park or the Georgetown waterfront.

    The other recommendation is Great Falls. I was out there a few weeks ago, and the river was so high
    from all the rain we've been having that it is quite awesome. The C&O canal towpath runs along the
    river on the DC side, but I wouldn't take it below the falls because of the crowding on weekends.
    Above the falls crowding is less of an issue, and the path goes for about 130 miles. If you want to
    go out from DC I would take MacArthur Boulevard the whole way. DC has a city-wide 25 mph speed
    limit, and MacArthur is locally famous as a place where speeding is not tolerated, so bikes coexist
    well with cars. It is also fun to start at Great Falls and go upriver or downriver from there.

    I realize this isn't really Reston, but it's close.