Restore: ’61 Malvern Star 3 star roadie.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Marx SS, May 31, 2005.

  1. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Here goes. I know nothing much about these things.
    Bike is: 1961 Malvern Star 3 star roadie, my Dad’s. Not turned a wheel in 15yrs. Not sure about the components, hubs say “Norman” made in France. Brake calipers says “Ventura”. Rear casette is five cog. Horizontal drop-outs. Cotter-pin cranks. Flat ‘bars (was previously road ‘bars).
    Frame is a work of art paint wise, not faded, but battered & missing colour here & there.
    Wheels are straight but spokes are rusted badly & some broken on the front wheel.
    Steering, crank & hubs are binding slightly, but I think it’s down to a re-grease/rebuild.

    Before I start I was wondering if I could find out:
    1. Can I locate replacement parts – spokes, cogs/chain/chainwheel – for this vintage bike where the orginal items might be cactus.
    2. Did this bike originally come fitted with a rear derailuer, as it runs a 5-speed cassette? If so where can I source the original derailiuer, shifter & cabling?

    My intention is first to get it in a ridable state (with or without a rear derailuer).
    Second step would be to bring it up to a nice restored original condition & be capable for big rides ie 100kms. (I want ot ride it in the Melbourne ‘round the bay ride later this year).

    It would be nice to restore the frame paint job as it’s the the highlight of the bike, but would that detract from it’s value if I did? Is it worth anything anyway? (Not that I want to sell it)

    If all goes to plan it should be right for a lap of the bay in October & the a quick clean up to hang pride of place in the dinning room (sorry no pool-room) till next year…….

    http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505d.jpg

    http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505h.jpg

    Tags:

  2. eddiec

    eddiec New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2004

    *watching intently*

    Can't offer any insight myself, but I'm keen to hear the words of the wise as my father also has a v. v. similar old malvern star which looks incredibly similar frame-wise. The only difference being a der. dropout and currently running a 3-speed sturmey archer.

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    coolio!!!

    Horizontal dropouts?
    either it ran a Hubgear (as looks like there arent any bosses to run cables on it hence the taped on cable you now have)
    or its a tracks frame!

    Fixie Fixie Fixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    RTB?
    Hey, howabout a RTB-fixie-team???
    Anyone game?

  4. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Marx SS Wrote:
    >>
    >> If all goes to plan it should be right for a lap of the bay in October
    >> & the a quick clean up to hang pride of place in the dinning room
    >> (sorry no pool-room) till next year...
    >>
    >> http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505d.jpg
    >>
    >> http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505h.jpg

    > coolio!!!
    >
    > Horizontal dropouts?
    > either it ran a Hubgear (as looks like there arent any bosses to run
    > cables on it hence the taped on cable you now have)
    > or its a tracks frame!
    >
    > Fixie Fixie Fixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > RTB?
    > Hey, howabout a RTB-fixie-team???
    > Anyone game?
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    Oh hell yes...that's exactly the sort of frame I wish I could find.

  5. Andrew Blake

    Andrew Blake Guest

    I was about to offer you a swag of parts that I tore of a 1974 Raleigh, but
    then I saw the track ends, so they'll be no good to you.

    I do have two French Normandy hubs, 36 hole, quick release, need a new axle
    for the front. There's a dura-ace 5sp cluster on the rear, very worn on the
    large sprockets. The only othehr items of possible interest are 36h 27x1.25"
    Weinmann rims.

    You could either use a sturmey archer hub for gears, or build up a
    fixed/free wheel for the rear. Flyingdutch can hook you up with a hub.

    Andrew

    "Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Here goes. I know nothing much about these things.
    > Bike is: 1961 Malvern Star 3 star roadie, my Dad's. Not turned a wheel
    > in 15yrs. Not sure about the components, hubs say "Norman" made in
    > France. Brake calipers says "Ventura". Rear casette is five cog.
    > Horizontal drop-outs. Cotter-pin cranks. Flat 'bars (was previously
    > road 'bars).
    > Frame is a work of art paint wise, not faded, but battered & missing
    > colour here & there.
    > Wheels are straight but spokes are rusted badly & some broken on the
    > front wheel.
    > Steering, crank & hubs are binding slightly, but I think it's down to a
    > re-grease/rebuild.
    >
    > Before I start I was wondering if I could find out:
    > 1. Can I locate replacement parts - spokes, cogs/chain/chainwheel - for
    > this vintage bike where the orginal items might be cactus.
    > 2. Did this bike originally come fitted with a rear derailuer, as it
    > runs a 5-speed cassette? If so where can I source the original
    > derailiuer, shifter & cabling?
    >
    > My intention is first to get it in a ridable state (with or without a
    > rear derailuer).
    > Second step would be to bring it up to a nice restored original
    > condition & be capable for big rides ie 100kms. (I want ot ride it in
    > the Melbourne 'round the bay ride later this year).
    >
    > It would be nice to restore the frame paint job as it's the the
    > highlight of the bike, but would that detract from it's value if I did?
    > Is it worth anything anyway? (Not that I want to sell it)
    >
    > If all goes to plan it should be right for a lap of the bay in October
    > & the a quick clean up to hang pride of place in the dinning room
    > (sorry no pool-room) till next year...
    >
    > http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505d.jpg
    >
    > http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505h.jpg
    >

    > --
    > Marx SS

  6. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Marx SS Wrote:
    >
    >>If all goes to plan it should be right for a lap of the bay in October
    >>& the a quick clean up to hang pride of place in the dinning room
    >>(sorry no pool-room) till next year…….
    >>
    >>http://server3.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505d.jpg
    >>
    >>http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Marx748-250505h.jpg

    > coolio!!!
    >
    > Horizontal dropouts?
    > either it ran a Hubgear (as looks like there arent any bosses to run
    > cables on it hence the taped on cable you now have)
    > or its a tracks frame!
    >
    > Fixie Fixie Fixie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > RTB?
    > Hey, howabout a RTB-fixie-team???
    > Anyone game?

    yeah fix it!!

    RTB you say? Hmmm.

    --
    Nick

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    fix it!!
    fix it!!
    fix it!!
    fix it!!
    fix it!!
    fix it!!
    fix it!!
    fix it!!

    RTB fixie? could be just what the doctor ordered. I havent been tempted the last 2 to do this again but doin it fixed would not only add a huge challenge element to it but could be fun as a group. of course those of us with flip-flop hubs could change to suit :rolleyes:

  8. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309

    Marx,

    I'd be interested to know what you do with it. I have my eye on the Father in Law's Malvern Star.

    It's hanging in the back of his shed behind a lot of other stuff so I haven't been able to give it a really close inspection recently.

    He bought it and started racing it in 1947. Fixed gear. On the road and on the track. It still has his racing number plate on the frame. Also commuted on it - it has a dynamo and a light mounted on the fork. It has a fair bit of surface rust on the frame but I think it is sound. It's too small for me but I'd still like to see it done up.

    SteveA

  9. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > NoZX6R Wrote:
    >

    >>yeah fix it!!
    >>
    >>RTB you say? Hmmm.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Nick

    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    > fix it!!
    >
    > RTB fixie? could be just what the doctor ordered. I havent been tempted
    > the last 2 to do this again but doin it fixed would not only add a huge
    > challenge element to it but could be fun as a group. of course those of
    > us with flip-flop hubs could change to suit :rolleyes:

    If you could live with the shame.
    --
    Nick

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!

  11. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Accepted, only reason that I could see for paying the stupid amount of money to enter!

    Might have to put on the 75 to get best pack speed!

    PiledHigher

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    where does one get a 75T ? :rolleyes:

  13. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    my 7 yr old cannondale has horizontal dropouts, but cos it's a small frame, the dropouts are designed to allow the wheels to fit the frame.

    RTB - have been invited to go as part of a team, and with all this talk of funky bike porn attending, I'll have to go just for the drool factor!

    Whats a Hugbear Dutchy?? pls edify :D

  14. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hehe. somethin like a 'dropbear' ? :rolleyes:

    "HUBGEAR" then ?

  15. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    need caffiene need caffiene need caffiene need caffiene

    or maybe it was just a freudian slip??? hehehehe :D

  16. "Marx SS" wrote:

    > Here goes. I know nothing much about these things.
    > Bike is: 1961 Malvern Star 3 star roadie, my Dad's. Not turned a wheel
    > in 15yrs.

    <snip>

    > It would be nice to restore the frame paint job as it's the the
    > highlight of the bike, but would that detract from it's value if I did?
    > Is it worth anything anyway? (Not that I want to sell it)

    The 3 star is listed as the Oppy 3 Star Racer in 1957. In the early '60s the
    model line changed.
    http://canberrabicyclemuseum.com.au/MalvernStar/1957 brochure.htm

    However this may have had gears and dropouts as it is a racer. Earlier 3
    Stars were the Gents 3 Star Roadster, which would probably have had 3 speed
    hub gears and track ends.
    http://canberrabicyclemuseum.com.au/MalvernStar/1941-1945_catalogue.htm

    Love that saddle, a Brooks B17 if I'm not mistaken and looks to be in quite
    good condition. Very comfy to ride, they last ages if you care for them, and
    would cost something over $80 to replace new today.

    Cheers
    Peter

  17. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    PiledHigher wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >
    >>CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!!!

    > Accepted, only reason that I could see for paying the stupid amount of
    > money to enter!
    >
    > Might have to put on the 75 to get best pack speed!
    >
    > PiledHigher

    therein lies my problem with ATB.

    I'd prefer to just ride down the eastern side of the bay and back again.

    Having said that, right at the moment I can't really see how I could
    ride 200kms fixed at all :)

    --
    Nick

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    either can i ! but that's the beauty of June, aint it :D
    Besides, having missed a month with NO riding (trainer dont count :( )
    I'd be up for anything 'bout now

    maybe that eastside aint such a bad idea! Wouldnt have to pay, can just buy our own food, etc and there's always the train if it all gets too much
    (did i just type that?)

  19. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Thanks for the feedback on the 3 star.
    Would be nice with a flip-flop, but I'm not sure how cotter-pin cranks would like an amature on a fixed wheel.
    Will post pix of progress.

    I can't see myself doing the hills sth of Frankston on a fixed cog (the shame in walking them!!), but pennyfathings rode the ATB a few times.
    I won't speak any more on this untill I've taken it to the foot of Oliver's hill.

    Enter fee for ATB: Can't I just ride around, by my own ticket for the ferry etc, or is that not an option on that particular day?

  20. NoZX6R

    NoZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > NoZX6R Wrote:
    >
    >>therein lies my problem with ATB.
    >>
    >>I'd prefer to just ride down the eastern side of the bay and back
    >>again.
    >>
    >>Having said that, right at the moment I can't really see how I could
    >>ride 200kms fixed at all :)
    >>
    >>--
    >>Nick

    > either can i ! but that's the beauty of June, aint it :D
    > Besides, having missed a month with NO riding (trainer dont count :( )
    > I'd be up for anything 'bout now
    >
    > maybe that eastside aint such a bad idea! Wouldnt have to pay, can just
    > buy our own food, etc and there's always the train if it all gets too
    > much
    > (did i just type that?)

    that's worse than freewheeling!!!! ;)

    --