Restoring a Old Bike

Blademun

May 27, 2005
Hey all, I recently found a old Fuji Monterey laying on the side of the road. I was shocked when i saw it and stopped, turned and looked it over. The poor thing must've been sitting there forever: its tires were flat, the chain was off the crank and completely rusted in a ball wrapped around the broken rear derailler. The rear brake was missing as well and the frame has alota rust spots.

Anyway, I took it home, and am now contemplating restoring this vintage bike. It had all suntour on it, Suntour Seven I belive. The frame and fork are in good condition, they have no cracks, holes, dents or serious rust patches: all the rust is superficialn. Would Restoring this bike be worth my time? I'd like a nice, solid beater bike I don't have to worry my head off over when leaving it locked up outside walmart and stuff. I'm willing to drop 200$ on it to get it up to speed. Any recommendations? (I'll be sanding and repainting the frame while I collect parts for my project.)

i do not see why not. it is fun and theraputic. how many bikes do you have? the thing is to not get to crazy with $ unless you have way too much then what the heck! i have an old bianchi just put a sealed bottom bearing and replaced the crank. i have probably spent 200 bucks on this 40 dollar bike. i really enjoy this old ten speed and it is a nice ride. i wanted to buy new wheels for it but i can not buy better than are already on it. so for now i am done. got some others to work on anyways.

I am doing a similar thing to a 19 year old steel frame that I purchased. Fortunately, I have enough take off parts (from my current bike which I am upgrading) so that I will have to purchase only a few additional items (calipers, seat post and saddle.) It is an interesting project that will be very satisfying.

My intention is to turn it into a flat bar urban bike. And yes, this will be the bike that I can leave locked up outside of Starbucks and not worry about it.

Attached is a photograph of the frame (red Specialized) and a photograph of the components (currently mounted on a black Giant) that I will be adding to it.

Nice! That Giant looks awesome, are you going to be turning it into a full road-bike?

As for my number of bikes, I have 3 now. The Fuji, a Marin Highway One, and a (older) Rocky Mountain Hammer. I have the hammer up for sale but that could always change. The Marin is my primary bike, and its the one I am always worrying about. I'm so sick of lugging my 5 pound U-lock wherever I go with my Marin. I can't say I have tons of money to blow, but this is something I'm willing to take time on, and hang out on Ebay to snag a deal here and there.

I have a question: Does a old style frame like the Fuji Monterey accept new BB's? What size should I get? 68 or 73mm? Its BB is shot, dead, grinds and barely turns. I have to replace it before it can be called rideable.

Blademun said:
Nice! That Giant looks awesome, are you going to be turning it into a full road-bike?

As for my number of bikes, I have 3 now. The Fuji, a Marin Highway One, and a (older) Rocky Mountain Hammer. I have the hammer up for sale but that could always change. The Marin is my primary bike, and its the one I am always worrying about. I'm so sick of lugging my 5 pound U-lock wherever I go with my Marin. I can't say I have tons of money to blow, but this is something I'm willing to take time on, and hang out on Ebay to snag a deal here and there.

I have a question: Does a old style frame like the Fuji Monterey accept new BB's? What size should I get? 68 or 73mm? Its BB is shot, dead, grinds and barely turns. I have to replace it before it can be called rideable.
The Giant is a great bike. Yes it is awesome to ride, but now I need a full road bike. I have upgraded the drivetrain to 9 speed Dura Ace (It originally came with 105 derailleurs and a midrange Truvaitv crankset.) I will be replacing the wheels with ROL SL28 wheels, and will replace the bar with an FSA K-Wing Carbon bar. I expect it to be truly awesome when it is done.

I believe that the Specialized will look awesome with its red frame and primarily black components.

I don't have the answer to your question about the BB. You would best ask a local bike mechanic. I can tell you that my LBS has informed me that my take off BB will fit on the Specialized bike.

Ebay is always a great place to get components at very attractive prices - if you know what you are doing. I purchased my new drivetrain and handlebars on ebay and did quite well.

mgkaplan said:
I don't have the answer to your question about the BB. You would best ask a local bike mechanic. I can tell you that my LBS has informed me that my take off BB will fit on the Specialized bike.

Ebay is always a great place to get components at very attractive prices - if you know what you are doing. I purchased my new drivetrain and handlebars on ebay and did quite well.

Yes, a modern BB will fit - take the old one out first so you can be sure you get one with the same thread/width/taper etc and all will be well. Go for it - but beware of spending too much... I started building a replica of my race bike from 1981, using one of my old frames. I started off with good intentions, but ended up getting carried away buying new old stock parts from Ebay, and it currently owes me about £1,000 ($1800 or thereabouts..).

aa9t8 said:
i do not see why not. it is fun and theraputic. how many bikes do you have? the thing is to not get to crazy with $ unless you have way too much then what the heck! i have an old bianchi just put a sealed bottom bearing and replaced the crank. i have probably spent 200 bucks on this 40 dollar bike. i really enjoy this old ten speed and it is a nice ride. i wanted to buy new wheels for it but i can not buy better than are already on it. so for now i am done. got some others to work on anyways.

Any old Bianchi's got to be worth more than 40 bucks, surely... :) Got a picture?

"Would Restoring this bike be worth my time?" Of course but ...

Lift it and see if it is light weight.

Does the frame have attractive lug work or other qualities?

Undo the hubs and bb and see if bearing races and cones are in good condition. New Axels with cones $10 each. New BB $30. If the races are shot, that means new wheels.

Can the wheels be trued?

Are shifters in a location you like?

What would an already restored bike from craigslist/ebay cost? Someone might be selling a similar bike in working condition for $30.

xxamr_corpxx said:
How old? Stem shifters and 27 inch tyres old, or downtube-shifters "old"?
1982-3 Old, I did some research and found out the Monterey was a mid-range road-bike in the 80's. Unfortunately that meant it got stuck with Stem shifters and 27 inch tires. It did get Fuji's butted Valite tubing for the frame and fork. Heh, this bike is older then I am...

The frameset feels really light for steel. The wheels however weigh 4lbs each. :eek: The crank is also no fly-weight. The wheels roll great, but are a little out of true, nothing serious. The stem shifter is ok, I'd actually prefer them over downtube shifters. I undid the headset and checked its bearings, they are dirty but ok. I will probably be replacing the wheels and crank/bb so I won't worry about the other bearing conditions. New wheels and Crank for this bike would probably put it close to 25-28 lbs. I know what you guys mean about not going crazy over parts buying...because I keep wanting too! LoL

What would an already restored bike from craigslist/ebay cost? Someone might be selling a similar bike in working condition for $30.
Yes, that's probably what you should do if you just want an old bike. I bought my Morrison/Raleigh Pursuit with the same Suntour Seven drivetrain for $NZ 50, it's in quite nice condition and running well.

If you really want to do up the Fuji, I'd buy a mid-spec 2nd hand old bike from ebay and strip it for the parts - it'll turn out to be the cheapest way to go.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Yes, that's probably what you should do if you just want an old bike. I bought my Morrison/Raleigh Pursuit with the same Suntour Seven drivetrain for $NZ 50, it's in quite nice condition and running well.

If you really want to do up the Fuji, I'd buy a mid-spec 2nd hand old bike from ebay and strip it for the parts - it'll turn out to be the cheapest way to go.
Well, I went to my friends bicycle shop, and while contemplating what to do with the Fuji he offered a old Trek 300 that was in much better condition. It was all dissasembled and it took 3 hours to find all that parts and reassemble it again. He's willing to sell it to me for 50$. I put my Marins wheels on it, and its downtube shifters handled my 9 speed cassette ok...so I think I'll talk him down to 40$ by not buying the wheels, and then buying a hundred dollar pair somewhere and a 8-9 speed cassette. I need a different stem for it too, something higher or shorter. It could use new brake-pads and some brake tuning as well. Braking on it is kinda frightening..

Its was fun re-building the Trek. I was suprised at how light and well it worked for something made 20 years ago. With some new wheels on it, it'll glide like butter over ice.