Restoring bike to origal vs upgrading latest, better parts?

smith785

Mar 11, 2010
Hi, I am new to cycling and to this forum. I am restoring a bike for my girlfried. It is a Schwinn Passage 7-speed triple crankset somewhere year 1999 or so. As it was left outside, the rims, hubs, and derailluars are corroded beyond using. My question is would it be better and maybe cheaper to either stay with current 7-speed parts and restore or convert over to newer parts (crank, derail., 9-speed, etc.) I have been researching some, but would like some other opinions.

Thanks,

In my opinion, if a bike is in good condition and can be restored to original condition, and if you have the patience to make it happen, then that is the way to go.

However, if you want your girlfriend to experience the best that cycling has to offer, then upgrade it to more modern components. One thing to consider though is the value of the frame versus the value of the components. Is the frame worth saving or would it be better to just get her a new bike? If the bike was left outdoors, you really need to check the inside of the frame for corrosion, especially in the bottom bracket.

Also, what type of material is the frame made of? If memory serves me, I beleive that Schwinn frames of that time were all steel, and many were high tensile steel. If this frame is high tensile steel, or Hi-Ten, it probably is not worth upgrading. Or if it does not fit your girlfriend anymore, such as if it was her childhood bike, then you should look into getting a better bike that fits her rather than upgrading that one.

These are just a few things to consider. There are others and I am sure that someone else will point out any that I may have missed.

smith785 said:
Hi, I am new to cycling and to this forum. I am restoring a bike for my girlfried. It is a Schwinn Passage 7-speed triple crankset somewhere year 1999 or so. As it was left outside, the rims, hubs, and derailluars are corroded beyond using. My question is would it be better and maybe cheaper to either stay with current 7-speed parts and restore or convert over to newer parts (crank, derail., 9-speed, etc.) I have been researching some, but would like some other opinions.

Thanks,

Bin the bike - look for something newer in the classified ads or ebay/craigslist...