restoring classic full campy

obeeone

Aug 16, 2005
I have recently come into possession of a full campy Reynolds frame and componants circa 1970? I think. Hasnt been ridden in while, but everything works quite well ... lots of dust from the basement. Also a full Campy Raliegh same circa. I wish to restore/ ride these georgeous bikes... before I start taking them apart I was hoping for some advice/protocol for working on the bikes, in other words I dont want to turn this into a regretable mess. I wont to keep as stock as possible. Also How can I find out more about the full Campy? It is stunning even under all the dust, even the handlebars are engraved..... any help on any of the above will be appreciated. I have some experience with bikes rebuilding, just finished making a single speed out of an old Trek.... sweet indeed

thank all

obeeone said:
I have recently come into possession of a full campy Reynolds frame and componants circa 1970? I think. Hasnt been ridden in while, but everything works quite well ... lots of dust from the basement. Also a full Campy Raliegh same circa. I wish to restore/ ride these georgeous bikes... before I start taking them apart I was hoping for some advice/protocol for working on the bikes, in other words I dont want to turn this into a regretable mess. I wont to keep as stock as possible. Also How can I find out more about the full Campy? It is stunning even under all the dust, even the handlebars are engraved..... any help on any of the above will be appreciated. I have some experience with bikes rebuilding, just finished making a single speed out of an old Trek.... sweet indeed

thank all

Nice find! If the bikes are original and in reasonable condition, beware – in the long run you might actually reduce their value by restoring them, as collectors often like bikes to be in as original condition as possible,especially as regards paintwork etc. Just cleaning, lubricating and adjusting might be the better bet. Whatever you do, try and resist the temptation to fit parts from different eras, or to 'upgrade' to more modern components. Enjoy them as they were meant to be!

For lots of Campag info, look at www.campyoldy.com
Most Campag stuff is pretty easy to date, which should mean you can date your bikes with some precision. This is a really useful resource for all sorts of component dating.
http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

I'm jealous! Can you show us some pics?

Thanks for the reply, I will be only restoring to original condition, I must admit there is temptation to do more, but I will resist. I will post pictures asap. I found the campyonly www site last night and there was a picture with notes and it was exactly the bike I have:
http://www.campyonly.com/retrobikes/gallery.html
the pic is under John Barringers Haral.... looks to me exactly like the bike I have, componants, pedals, even the water bottle cage.....
thanks for your help I will keep posting updates so check back once in a while

thanks for your reply

ob1

obeeone said:
Thanks for the reply, I will be only restoring to original condition, I must admit there is temptation to do more, but I will resist. I will post pictures asap. I found the campyonly www site last night and there was a picture with notes and it was exactly the bike I have:
http://www.campyonly.com/retrobikes/gallery.html
the pic is under John Barringers Haral.... looks to me exactly like the bike I have, componants, pedals, even the water bottle cage.....
thanks for your help I will keep posting updates so check back once in a while

thanks for your reply

ob1

Now that looks like a nice find! Have fun with it.