Restoring of an old skyjumper bike.

rabboman

Jun 4, 2014
Hey, I need some help on this matter. Im a noob when it comes to bikes and parts (well, I can fix a bike if someone asks...) but I need some help in coming to restoration. I have an aluminium framed bike with a front suspension (It's neither stiff or soft), it has a v-brake on the back and a disc brake on the front. It is 18 speed and has mountain tires. Well, my problem is that i would love to restore this beautiful bike as it is very light and quite fast but there are problems with the back v-brake and the gears simply refuse to change. Also, the chain would slip from time to time. I usually use a bike for amateur cycling on roads and I like fast bikes.
Could you please advise on parts for this kind of bike? Preferable mid-priced but of good quality.

It sounds more like "repairing" the bike would be simpler/cheaper then replacing the components.

What's wrong with the V-brake?

Are the deraileurs adjusted?

Shimano and SRAM make mountain bike components.

The v-brake doesnt want to return to open position no matter what adjustments are made. How can you check if they are adjusted..the front one is touching the chain on top gear and the back one doesnt pull the chain to sixth gear.

Some photos would help but:

If the brake doesnt return to the open position the cable might be over-tensioned. Or maybe the brake is jammed with rust or mud.

If the deraileurs still move then:

1. The cables might be improperly tensioned.
2. The deraileurs might need adjustment. Lot's of videos how to adjust them online. Googling "How to adjust bike deraileurs" will show some video links.

Btw there are lots of bike repair videos - instructions in Park Tools website:

http://www.parktool.com/

Cant send photos at the moment as the bike isnt with me. But thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by rabboman

Cant send photos at the moment as the bike isnt with me.
But thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

Good luck!
smile.png
Check back with some photos / updates or something!
smile.png