Restoring old wheels

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
I have a good number of old sets of wheels dating back from the late 80s before stainless steel spokes were available.

Anyway I was wondering whether sanding down the rust on the spokes and then painting over it with primer would be safe. The wheels will be used for training only, not sprinting or racing.

Use oiled steel wool; this will remove the corrosion but won't weaken the metal. My continued good health is a testament to the safety of the system.

BTW are early '80's suntour honor and shimano positron derailleurs worth anything?

Thanks for the advice, I remember selling a suntour honor a few months back but it (along with the bike) was in poor condition so I didn't get much for it.

garage sale GT said:
Use oiled steel wool; this will remove the corrosion but won't weaken the metal. My continued good health is a testament to the safety of the system.

BTW are early '80's suntour honor and shimano positron derailleurs worth anything?
They aren't worth anything to anyone but collectors or someone trying to restore a bike to original condition. You might try looking on eBay to see if any are listed and whats being asked for them.

If I was painting, I would try soap on synthetic abrasive pads. Steel wool is already lightly oiled and you will have to degrease prior to painting to remove that and whatever else you put on.