Restoring Polished Ti Finish?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Peake, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. David Peake

    David Peake Guest

    I have a '98 Litespeed Classic that has a few areas where the polished
    finish has dulled. I've tried Pledge, BikeWash, etc., but to no avail. It
    looks like the finish has been lightly scratched in several areas (I'm not
    sure how I did that).

    Can anyone provide some guidance to restore the finish? I understand that
    its probably impossible to make it look brand new, I just want to make it
    look nice again. Is there some heavier duty polish/refinisher that someone
    could recommend?

    Thank you,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    > I have a '98 Litespeed Classic that has a few areas where the polished
    > finish has dulled. I've tried Pledge, BikeWash, etc., but to no avail. It
    > looks like the finish has been lightly scratched in several areas (I'm not
    > sure how I did that).
    >
    > Can anyone provide some guidance to restore the finish? I understand that
    > its probably impossible to make it look brand new, I just want to make it
    > look nice again. Is there some heavier duty polish/refinisher that someone
    > could recommend?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Dave

    Here's a quote from http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article42.htm:

    Polishing. Titanium can be mechanically polished by techniques similar
    to those used for stainless steel; reductions in wheel or mop speeds are
    often beneficial. If a high polish is required, light pressures are
    necessary during the final operations. Good results have been obtained
    with a canvas wheel coated with 240E1 `Alundum` grit, which can be
    blended with stearic acid for a finer finish.

    Ted adds: As you may know, polishing metal is a matter of producing
    uniformly-sized scratches in progressively smaller size, by applying
    finer and finer grades of abrasives. Although titianium itself is
    fairly soft, the surface of the metal quickly oxidizes, and the oxide is
    very hard so it takes some work to break through it. I suspect you will
    need power buffing wheels to make any headway. Doing this by hand would
    try the patience of Job.

    --
    Ted Bennett

  3. Per David Peake:
    >Can anyone provide some guidance to restore the finish? I understand that
    >its probably impossible to make it look brand new, I just want to make it
    >look nice again.

    Call SevenCycles and ask them.

    I had a rear triangle break - which Seven fixed.

    It was soooo clean, I couldn't believe it was the same rear triangle.

    It's gonna take me *weeks* to get that thing foul enough to match the rest of
    the bike.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per David Peake:
    >> Can anyone provide some guidance to restore the finish? I
    >> understand that its probably impossible to make it look brand new, I
    >> just want to make it look nice again.

    > Call SevenCycles and ask them.
    >
    > I had a rear triangle break - which Seven fixed.
    >
    > It was soooo clean, I couldn't believe it was the same rear triangle.
    >
    > It's gonna take me *weeks* to get that thing foul enough to match the
    > rest of the bike.

    I'm sure there's some mud nearby you can sling onto the rear end ;)
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. Ron Ruff

    Ron Ruff Guest

    David Peake wrote:
    > I have a '98 Litespeed Classic that has a few areas where the polished
    > finish has dulled. I've tried Pledge, BikeWash, etc., but to no avail. It
    > looks like the finish has been lightly scratched in several areas (I'm not
    > sure how I did that).
    >
    > Can anyone provide some guidance to restore the finish? I understand that
    > its probably impossible to make it look brand new, I just want to make it
    > look nice again. Is there some heavier duty polish/refinisher that someone
    > could recommend?

    If it is truly a mirror polish, then you need to use a metal polish...
    and a lot of work. If it is a brushed finish, scotchbrite will do it.

    Brushed finishes are the best IMO. It is sort of like a rough polish,
    and is easy to take care of... just use scotchbrite or sandpaper to
    restore. I did my whole frame with strips of 200 grit sandpaper... took
    about 6 hrs.

  6. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    David Peake wrote:
    > I have a '98 Litespeed Classic that has a few areas where the polished
    > finish has dulled. I've tried Pledge, BikeWash, etc., but to no avail. It
    > looks like the finish has been lightly scratched in several areas (I'm not
    > sure how I did that).
    >
    > Can anyone provide some guidance to restore the finish? I understand that
    > its probably impossible to make it look brand new, I just want to make it
    > look nice again. Is there some heavier duty polish/refinisher that someone
    > could recommend?

    Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish works well on titanium