Restricted knee lift post operation - Flat Bar or Road bike?

Georgia Darcy

Apr 10, 2013
Hi, I cannot bend my right hip as far as I used to due to total hip replacement last year. Wanting to join a casual road riding group; they're not speedsters but hold a steady pace. I am reasonably fit. Would I be better going for the comfort of a flat bar over a road bike or will they leave me behind?! Can I compensate using seat height adjustment on either bike type? Any comments appreciated, thanks :)

It all depends on fit. You shouldn't have any issues with a road bike if the fit is appropriate. A number of years ago I broke a hip in a bike crash and was back on the bike 6 weeks after the surgical repair. I did go through a lot of physical therapy--months of it--and I know that helped with regaining range of motion. I think you're best option would be to test ride some road bikes to see how they feel. If you have issues, discuss them with the shop to see if they can make an adjustment to saddle height that might work better for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Georgia Darcy
You could try using shorter crankarms. That will require less hip and knee flexion. The difference isn't much, but then again, it might help.

Reactions: Georgia Darcy
Thanks both for the feedback. I bought a women's flat bar road bike Avanti Aria 3 (top of the range in Avanti women's FBs). Did 50ks on it today with the group and loved it. Replaced hip did fine.

Georgia Darcy said:
Thanks both for the feedback. I bought a women's flat bar road bike Avanti Aria 3 (top of the range in Avanti women's FBs). Did 50ks on it today with the group and loved it. Replaced hip did fine.
Excellent!