Rethreading Raleigh bottom bracket / Bad Idea???

Robert Box

Guest
Because there are almost no 26 tpi Raleigh bottom bracket cups available, what is the downside to
having the bottom bracket threads chased to 24 tpi the "English" standard? Will this setup not live
in longterm use because of thread problems or ????

I know 26 tpi can be found , but it seems that in the long run using the 24 tpi standard would be
the better way to go

Comments please.

I did this about 20 years ago to an old BSA frame and it worked fine until the frame was finally
consigned to the scrapheap a few years later.

Nick

"Robert Box" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Because there are almost no 26 tpi Raleigh bottom bracket cups available, what is the downside to
> having the bottom bracket threads chased to 24 tpi the "English" standard? Will this setup not
> live in longterm use because of thread problems or ????

"Robert Box" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Because there are almost no 26 tpi Raleigh bottom bracket cups available, what is the downside to
> having the bottom bracket threads chased to 24 tpi the "English" standard? Will this setup not
> live in longterm use because of thread problems or ????
>
> I know 26 tpi can be found , but it seems that in the long run using the 24 tpi standard would be
> the better way to go

I just ran taps through mine about twenty five years ago, thinking that if it didn't work out I
could just fill the threads and recut. I've used that bike daily for quite a long time, the TA BB
has been opened three times and all is well.