retro campy shifters schematic?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric, May 1, 2003.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    if this isn't on-topic, i don't know what IS... ;-)

    i won an ebay auction awhile back:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716798948&category=7295

    i have the standard campagnolo NR braze on shift levers which i've just started to replace with the
    newer auction shifters. my problem is there are more parts with this set of braze on shift levers
    than the old ones so it isn't a simple case of switching out the older parts for the newer ones.
    anybody have a schematic drawing of which parts go in which order? or can someone describe
    installation? there are 2 thin wire-like bronze-colored washers with a wide opening, four wider
    silver washers with small holes, two saucer like plates with campagnolo inscribed on them (figure
    these go on the outside), the wire handled bolts, two metal inserts which i figure go into the braze
    on studs AFTER the levers are installed and of course, the back plates with the lever stops. the
    four silver wide washers are throwing me a bit, as well as the wire-like smaller ones.

    i've installed the front deraileur's lever and it seems to be working fine so if no further info
    comes my way, i'll just duplicate what i did with the front one for the second lever. but if anyone
    can help confirm this, i'd much appreciate it.

    thanks

    eric zamora fresno, ca.

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAD7266F.711E%[email protected]...

    > if this isn't on-topic, i don't know what IS... ;-)
    >
    > i won an ebay auction awhile back:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716798948&category=7295

    > i have the standard campagnolo NR braze on shift levers which i've just started to replace with
    > the newer auction shifters. my problem is there
    are
    > more parts with this set of braze on shift levers than the old ones so it isn't a simple case of
    > switching out the older parts for the newer ones. anybody have a schematic drawing of which parts
    > go in which order? or can someone describe installation? there are 2 thin wire-like bronze-colored
    > washers with a wide opening, four wider silver washers with small holes,
    two
    > saucer like plates with campagnolo inscribed on them (figure these go on
    the
    > outside), the wire handled bolts, two metal inserts which i figure go into the braze on studs
    > AFTER the levers are installed and of course, the back plates with the lever stops. the four
    > silver wide washers are throwing me
    > bit, as well as the wire-like smaller ones.
    >
    > i've installed the front deraileur's lever and it seems to be working fine so if no further info
    > comes my way, i'll just duplicate what i did with
    the
    > front one for the second lever. but if anyone can help confirm this, i'd much appreciate it.

    It's described as "early". Hmmm.

    You have the 1987 Record Doppler retrofriction lever:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/DOPPLER.JPG

  3. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    "You have the 1987 Record Doppler retrofriction lever"

    almost sounds like a disease... ;-) is the doppler version a "good thing?"

    thanks andrew, p-e-r-f-e-c-t. i think. i'm going to try it out.

    eric

    eric paul zamora fresno, ca.

    > Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:42:35 -0500 Subject: Re: retro campy
    > shifters schematic?
    >
    > "eric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAD7266F.711E%[email protected]...
    >>

    >> if this isn't on-topic, i don't know what IS... ;-)
    >>
    >> i won an ebay auction awhile back:
    >>

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2716798948&category=7295
    >>
    >> i have the standard campagnolo NR braze on shift levers which i've just started to replace with
    >> the newer auction shifters. my problem is there
    > are
    >> more parts with this set of braze on shift levers than the old ones so it isn't a simple case of
    >> switching out the older parts for the newer ones. anybody have a schematic drawing of which parts
    >> go in which order? or can someone describe installation? there are 2 thin wire-like
    >> bronze-colored washers with a wide opening, four wider silver washers with small holes,
    > two
    >> saucer like plates with campagnolo inscribed on them (figure these go on
    > the
    >> outside), the wire handled bolts, two metal inserts which i figure go into the braze on studs
    >> AFTER the levers are installed and of course, the back plates with the lever stops. the four
    >> silver wide washers are throwing me
    >> bit, as well as the wire-like smaller ones.
    >>
    >> i've installed the front deraileur's lever and it seems to be working fine so if no further info
    >> comes my way, i'll just duplicate what i did with
    > the
    >> front one for the second lever. but if anyone can help confirm this, i'd much appreciate it.
    >
    > It's described as "early". Hmmm.
    >
    > You have the 1987 Record Doppler retrofriction lever:
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/DOPPLER.JPG
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    thanks peter.

    reinforcement is always good. ;-) and they do look pretty despite the slightly larger base barrel.

    now, does anyone have a spare #2 7306004 inner friction washer? dang if i haven't lost one of the
    two.... arrrgh.

    eric zamora fresno, ca.