"Retro" Candy sites

jmcquown wrote:

> How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
> trip on the wayback machine :)

What amuses me is that the company who now owns the rights flat out refuses to bring back Turkish
Taffy. Doesn't look as though it would be all that difficult, but what do I know.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
>> trip on the wayback machine :)
>
> What amuses me is that the company who now owns the rights flat out refuses to bring back Turkish
> Taffy. Doesn't look as though it would be all that difficult, but what do I know.
>
> nancy

Bonomo... smack it on the curb taffy. Yep. They sell some "french" taffy, like that's the same
thing. Come on! I want vanilla taffy!

Also, Now&Laters used to be hard and you had to melt them in your mouth to get that taffy goodness;
now they are just soft and chewy. (sigh)

Jill

"PENMART01" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >"jmcquown" says:
> >
> >Bonomo... smack it on the curb taffy.
> >
> >used to be hard and you had to melt them in your mouth to get that goodness; now they are just
> >soft and chewy. (sigh)
>
> Thats what happens with age, Jill. <g>
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
> ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

As always, thanks for the laugh, Sheldon. LOL

kilikini

PENMART01 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" says:
>>
>> Bonomo... smack it on the curb taffy.
>>
>> used to be hard and you had to melt them in your mouth to get that goodness; now they are just
>> soft and chewy. (sigh)
>
> Thats what happens with age, Jill. <g>

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" says:
>>>
>>> Bonomo... smack it on the curb taffy.
>>>
>>> used to be hard and you had to melt them in your mouth to get that goodness; now they are just
>>> soft and chewy. (sigh)
>>
>> Thats what happens with age, Jill. <g>
>>

> Jill

So you can bash it on the curb?!!?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
--------

sunshine wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:59:19 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
>> trip on the wayback machine :)
>>
>> http://www.yesteryearcandy.com/
>>
>> http://peppermintpalace.com/pp2002/private.php3
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I have had http://www.californiacandy.com/oldfashpage.html book marked for a while. I like just
> looking around.
>
> ~sunshine

I like to have breakfast at Cracker Barrell. They have an "old country store" where you can buy
candy sticks and licorice whips. Also some great finds in things like funny toys and t-shirts. Hmmm,
I may just have to go there for breakfast tomorrow.

Jill

Frogleg wrote:
> This is a good site, too:
>
> http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index_dyn.asp

Just went poking around the site. I had forgotten about Gold Nuggets Gum!

--Charlene

--
THE SHRIMP A shirmp who sought his lady shrimp Could catch no glimpse, Not even a glimp. At times,
translucence Is rather a nuisance. --Ogden Nash

--

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Hark! I heard "Nexis" <[email protected]> say:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...

> > How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
> > trip on the wayback machine :)

> > http://www.yesteryearcandy.com/
> >
> > http://peppermintpalace.com/pp2002/private.php3

> Alas, none of them have the one candy bar I *really* want, which is a Bar None.

Same here, although I'm looking for either a Marathon Bar or a plain Chunky (no nuts or raisins). I
loved both as a kid, but can't find them anymore. OTOH, Peppermint Palace has *Zotz*, which I
haven't had for many years...

--
j.j. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~ ..fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
> > trip on the wayback machine :)
> >
> > http://www.yesteryearcandy.com/
> >
> > http://peppermintpalace.com/pp2002/private.php3
> >
> > Jill
>
> No wax bottles!
>
> maxine in ri

You can get those at Cracker Barrel. Got my kid some Nickl-Nips for Christmas. She loves them!

--
Tank

Gimme a candy smoke!

>Alas, none of them have the one candy bar I *really* want, which is a Bar None.

I used to love Marathon bars, which were chocolate covered caramel, and were braided and were a foot
long. I'd love to have one of those right now.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct proportion to the intensity
with which others try to prove him wrong" James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

>[email protected]
>Date: 1/24/04 11:59 AM Central

>How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
>trip on the wayback machine :)

In the 1970s many candies in the United States were reformulated from cane sugar to corn syrup. At
the same time many recipes changed because companies were automating their processes. The candy you
remember may not be the same candy today.

I like wine gums. Lions Confectionery still makes them as they did 100 years ago and that means
something to me. Many old candies have changes a lot. If Tootsie Roll brought back Bonomo's Turkish
Taffy would it be the old recipe or a new softer taff, kinder to fillings?

"Mpoconnor7" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I used to love Marathon bars, which were chocolate covered caramel, and
were
> braided and were a foot long. I'd love to have one of those right now.

Also known as Wig Wag? In Canada, Wig Wag was chocolate-covered caramel that was braided, more than
6" but less than 1', and thin. The wrapper was white with orange (and maybe pink?) printing, I
think. I remember them from the '70s, but I think they were discontinued sometime in the late '70s.
They are still being sold in the UK as Curly Wurly. Here's some info here
http://www.cadbury.co.uk/CTB/OurProducts/Curlywurly.htm (very little info, actually). Curly Wurly is
not as wide as Wig Wag was, but it tastes the same (or at least very similar to what I remember)

You can buy them on-line, such as at http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-5810089016179/candybar.html .
I am lucky in that in my city, there is a specialty candy shop that sells them. They're a little
expensive (about $1.40 Cdn?) but I buy one as a treat once in a great while. If I weren't poor right
now, I'd send you a couple. But I am, so sorry!

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!**

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:10:43 -0500, "Tank" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote

>> jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > How much fun is this?! True, you can still find some of the stuff in obscure places. But what a
>> > trip on the wayback machine :)
>> >
>> > http://www.yesteryearcandy.com/
>> >
>> > http://peppermintpalace.com/pp2002/private.php3

>> No wax bottles!

>You can get those at Cracker Barrel. Got my kid some Nickl-Nips for Christmas. She loves them!

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/index_dyn.asp

also has them.