My roadie runs an Easton Crosslight Pro2 alloy frame, which is a cyclocross frame which does not run biddon cage mounts.
Currently I’m running a biggon cage out the front of my gooseneck, but would love to have a couple of biddon cages in the conventional places on the frame.

The option of running tri-like biddon cages out back (behind the seat) makes for a long reach behind for a swig & besides where else would I put my tubes & patch kit?

Is there anyone in Melbourne metro area that can retrofit biddon cage mounts on my frame?

I’ve asked about this at 2x LBS & got the response that it shouldn’t be attempted, with concerns that it might compromise the frame’s ‘integrity’ [strength].
160706a.jpg
[/IMG]

Just wondering if anyone has any comments really….

On 2006-07-16, Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there anyone in Melbourne metro area that can retrofit biddon cage
> mounts on my frame?

Don't know about that, but I do know that you can get "clip on" cages
that don't need the mount points. Might be worth looking into; it'd
almost certainly be easier than modifying a frame ...

(For the record: I had a pair of those cages back when I was on a 10
speed Hallmark road bike. This is going back a good ten or more years
....)

The minimalist way is to use a couple of beads of urathane sealant directly
onto the frame (to stop the cage sliding down / twisting sideways) and a
couple of cable ties to hold it down. The sealant will peel off later if
you want to remove the cage. Urathane is more durable than silicone and
will give a better bond. If you have any problems with bonding try the
marine version - called Sikaflex.

"Marx SS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My roadie runs an Easton Crosslight Pro2 alloy frame, which is a
> cyclocross frame which does not run biddon cage mounts.
> Currently I’m running a biggon cage out the front of my gooseneck, but
> would love to have a couple of biddon cages in the conventional places
> on the frame.
> ']Recent pic of offending bike.' ([image:
> http://www.cyclingforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/160706a.jpg)
>
> The option of running tri-like biddon cages out back (behind the seat)
> makes for a long reach behind for a swig & besides where else would I
> put my tubes & patch kit?
>
> Is there anyone in Melbourne metro area that can retrofit biddon cage
> mounts on my frame?
>
> I’ve asked about this at 2x LBS & got the response that it shouldn’t be
> attempted, with concerns that it might compromise the frame’s
> ‘integrity’ [strength].
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any comments really….
>

> --
> Marx SS

In article <[email protected]>,
Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:

> would love to have a couple of biddon cages in the conventional places
> on the frame

A couple of hoes clamps will do the job. Not elegant, but not
particularly ugly either.

--
Shane Stanley

Marx SS wrote:

>> Is there anyone in Melbourne metro area that can retrofit biddon cage
>> mounts on my frame?

Almost any decent LBS these days can fit good bidon mounts onto alloy or
steel frames, using the new 'pop rivet' style mounts. I've had these fitted
to my wife's bike for front rack mounts to carry panniers and they have
worked very well. The weight of a little bidon is insignificant by
comparison.

Try Abbotsford Cycles, Cecil Walker, St Kilda Cycles, Brunswick St Cycles,
Hillmans ...... the list goes on. I had mine done at Cycle Science in
Mitcham.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Marx SS wrote:

> I’ve asked about this at 2x LBS & got the response that it
> shouldn’t be attempted, with concerns that it might compromise
> the frame’s ‘integrity’ [strength].

It can be done, is terribly easy, and won't compromise the frame's strength.

You need to take the bike to a frame builder. They'll drill holes for the bidon cage bosses, and install bosses that are like oversize rivets. When they put them in, the inside bit mushrooms so they don't fall out, and they reinforce the hole.

Alternatively you can do it yourself. You can get the bosses (and the tool for installing them) from Ceeway. Just be very careful drilling the holes to ensure they're properly centered, or else your bidon cage will stick out to the side.

Cheers,

Suzy

Thanks everyone, I'll try the bike shops listed first, I would prefer to get a finished result so it looks as 'from the factory' as possible.
:)

Marx SS...gripsport can do this, and has done this. I know your cyclocross bike, its a weapon.

Marx SS wrote:

> Thanks everyone, I'll try the bike shops listed first, I would prefer to
> get a finished result so it looks as 'from the factory' as possible.
> :)

One point to note: Make sure you mount the cage far enough from the top
tube that you can get the bidon in and out easily...

--
BrettS

BrettS wrote:
> Marx SS wrote:
>
> > Thanks everyone, I'll try the bike shops listed first, I would prefer to
> > get a finished result so it looks as 'from the factory' as possible.
> > :)
> >

> One point to note: Make sure you mount the cage far enough from the top
> tube that you can get the bidon in and out easily...

and far enough from the bottom that it doesn't hit any possible second
holder, deraillier bracket etc *with* a biddon in it!

> --
> BrettS

Having rigged boats and maintained aeroplanes with alloy spars and the rule
is this - any time you remove material you weaken the member.

"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Marx SS wrote:
>
>> I’ve asked about this at 2x LBS & got the response that it
>> shouldn’t be attempted, with concerns that it might compromise
>> the frame’s ‘integrity’ [strength].

> It can be done, is terribly easy, and won't compromise the frame's
> strength.
>
> You need to take the bike to a frame builder. They'll drill holes for
> the bidon cage bosses, and install bosses that are like oversize
> rivets. When they put them in, the inside bit mushrooms so they don't
> fall out, and they reinforce the hole.
>
> Alternatively you can do it yourself. You can get the bosses (and the
> tool for installing them) from 'Ceeway' (http://www.framebuilding.com).
> Just be very careful drilling the holes to ensure they're properly
> centered, or else your bidon cage will stick out to the side.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy
>

> --
> suzyj

In article <[email protected]>,
"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote:

> but in this case you're putting in bosses that are considerably
> thicker than the tube walls

If you use standard rivnuts, you're certainly not adding any strength.

--
Shane Stanley

I gave Gripsport a call about this & he can organise it for me.
Grip Sport link.
Even though there may be concerns about drilled holes impacting on the frame's strength, being a cyclocross frame instead of a regular road or track frame, there is the hope that the tube walls & frame construction should be strudy enough to suffer the biddon cage mounts.

There are also these "Gizmos"

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.asp?f_b=zefal&cp=2&p=01-171887

Pete

Shane Stanley <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Marx SS <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> would love to have a couple of biddon cages in the conventional places
>> on the frame

>A couple of hoes clamps will do the job. Not elegant, but not
>particularly ugly either.

Thats what I use on my old clunker which did not come with the lugs.
Been on for 10-15 years with no problems.

Ted.
| Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |