Return from Dominican

Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan

Guest
L'Espérance <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> DH arrived home last night after a week in the Dominican. Along with
> some nice souveniers, he brought some neat food items. Included were:
> Dominican coffee, Dominican pure vanilla extract - clear and regular,
> Baldom Salsa Picante hot sauce, and a shredded coconut of which I will
> futher explain. His caddy was a fabulous individual and DH got to be
> quite friendly with him. He told him of how I was a real foodie who
> loved to cook and preserve things. His caddy was fascinated and told DH
> of his wife's wonderful cooking. Then he showed DH how to harvest a
> coconut with a maschette and drink the insides. His caddy arrived the
> day of DH's departure with a large container of prepared cocout that his
> wife had made as a gift to me! I took one taste of the coconut and was
> in heaven. This is the *best* I've ever tasted. It is moist, rich,
> creamy, and just downright delightful. They exchanged addresses so I'm
> going to send her down some jam and salsa. I can't wait to do food and
> recipe exchanges with her!

Sounds like the DH had a great time and you made out like a bandit. I'll
be watching for those recipes!

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

[...]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:13:39 -0500, L'Espérance <[email protected]>
wrote:

>DH arrived home last night after a week in the Dominican. Along with
>some nice souveniers, he brought some neat food items. Included were:
>Dominican coffee, Dominican pure vanilla extract - clear and regular,
>Baldom Salsa Picante hot sauce, and a shredded coconut of which I will
>futher explain. His caddy was a fabulous individual and DH got to be
>quite friendly with him. He told him of how I was a real foodie who
>loved to cook and preserve things. His caddy was fascinated and told DH
>of his wife's wonderful cooking. Then he showed DH how to harvest a
>coconut with a maschette and drink the insides. His caddy arrived the
>day of DH's departure with a large container of prepared cocout that his
>wife had made as a gift to me! I took one taste of the coconut and was
>in heaven. This is the *best* I've ever tasted. It is moist, rich,
>creamy, and just downright delightful. They exchanged addresses so I'm
>going to send her down some jam and salsa. I can't wait to do food and
>recipe exchanges with her!

I suppose he didn't bring back any rum, though. Sigh.

Anyhow, that sounds like a fine haul of goodies. Did he have any
problems with customs carying that food into the country? Or ar you
as French as your nom de clavier? US customs asked us repeatedly
whether we were bringing any food into the country last time we flew
back from France. No such questions were asked on the French end of
the trip, though.

I had some very good food in the Dominican Republic when I stayed
there a few years ago. There's a restaurant in Santo Domingo called
Meson de la Cava that really is in a cave. The place looks like a set
for a Sean Connery "Bond" film. Good, but goofy cocktails, yummy
appetizers, and a wait staff dressed like extras in Thunderball. But
it was the seafood and produce that wowed me. We stayed with a
friend, so we had a kitchen, which meant that I got to cook. That and
the sushi place ("suchi" actually) that served a salmon and roasted
plantain roll that still has me thinking after four and a half years.

modom

modom wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:13:39 -0500, L'Espérance <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>DH arrived home last night after a week in the Dominican. Along with
>>some nice souveniers, he brought some neat food items. Included were:
>>Dominican coffee, Dominican pure vanilla extract - clear and regular,
>>Baldom Salsa Picante hot sauce, and a shredded coconut of which I will
>>futher explain. His caddy was a fabulous individual and DH got to be
>>quite friendly with him. He told him of how I was a real foodie who
>>loved to cook and preserve things. His caddy was fascinated and told DH
>>of his wife's wonderful cooking. Then he showed DH how to harvest a
>>coconut with a maschette and drink the insides. His caddy arrived the
>>day of DH's departure with a large container of prepared cocout that his
>>wife had made as a gift to me! I took one taste of the coconut and was
>>in heaven. This is the *best* I've ever tasted. It is moist, rich,
>>creamy, and just downright delightful. They exchanged addresses so I'm
>>going to send her down some jam and salsa. I can't wait to do food and
>>recipe exchanges with her!

> I suppose he didn't bring back any rum, though. Sigh.

He brought back a jug of Brugal rum :)

> Anyhow, that sounds like a fine haul of goodies. Did he have any
> problems with customs carying that food into the country? Or ar you
> as French as your nom de clavier? US customs asked us repeatedly
> whether we were bringing any food into the country last time we flew
> back from France. No such questions were asked on the French end of
> the trip, though.

He had no problems with customs. The main problem with customs seems to
be fruits or vegetables and he had neither. The coconut was considered
a prepared food.

> I had some very good food in the Dominican Republic when I stayed
> there a few years ago. There's a restaurant in Santo Domingo called
> Meson de la Cava that really is in a cave. The place looks like a set
> for a Sean Connery "Bond" film. Good, but goofy cocktails, yummy
> appetizers, and a wait staff dressed like extras in Thunderball. But
> it was the seafood and produce that wowed me. We stayed with a
> friend, so we had a kitchen, which meant that I got to cook. That and
> the sushi place ("suchi" actually) that served a salmon and roasted
> plantain roll that still has me thinking after four and a half years.

I'll have to ask him the names of the restaurants other than the resort.
He said the food was quite good as he patted his expanded tummy.