Return to Campy

Graphxbiz

Feb 19, 2004
I was a convert to Shimano from Campagnolo back in the day - about after C-Record came out.
I have recently started purchasing new Campy Record parts online and noticed that the fit and finish of my beloved Campy is in no way on par with it's older descendents OR Shimano (especially the cranks). I always remembered these pieces as being the highest art of the component makers craft.
Am I being to finicky here, or what? Did I miss something along the way?

Oh well, I am still going to go ahead with an all-Campy bike and try to not let people look too closely. :D

Graphxbiz said:
I was a convert to Shimano from Campagnolo back in the day - about after C-Record came out.
I have recently started purchasing new Campy Record parts online and noticed that the fit and finish of my beloved Campy is in no way on par with it's older descendents OR Shimano (especially the cranks). I always remembered these pieces as being the highest art of the component makers craft.
Am I being to finicky here, or what? Did I miss something along the way?

Oh well, I am still going to go ahead with an all-Campy bike and try to not let people look too closely. :D
i am new to campy when i started racing...and their rapid up shift feature is great to have...you shold check out the new carbon record parts like the crank and the rear der. those are cutting egde

To each, their own. Personally, I think the new DA crankset is kinda weird looking, while the Campy carbon crank makes me want to empty out my bank account for no good reason.

Love those Ergo indexed shifters. Quick and precise. I put a Chorus group on two years ago - no regrets.

Very surprised about your point on fit and finish.

While I have not spent a lot of time observing Shimano fit and finish, I must say that my 2003 Chorus kit is absolutely puifect in terms of finishing. And I think it is really gorgeous too.

Maybe you got some "dud'' parts?

I hate to say it, but even though I have a full Dura Ace (9-speed) bike, I wouldn't mind building up a Campy bike. I just can't justify the cost since I have so much Dura Ace stuff lying around. I've never been a big Campy fan, but I will admit, I like the idea of their Ergo levers and how you can zap across multiple cogs when upshifting. Seems like it would be better than the "semi-auto" action of Shimano's STI stuff. I'm just worried that since I've been using STI so long, I'd get mixed up on the shifting.

cydewaze said:
I hate to say it, but even though I have a full Dura Ace (9-speed) bike, I wouldn't mind building up a Campy bike. I just can't justify the cost since I have so much Dura Ace stuff lying around. I've never been a big Campy fan, but I will admit, I like the idea of their Ergo levers and how you can zap across multiple cogs when upshifting. Seems like it would be better than the "semi-auto" action of Shimano's STI stuff. I'm just worried that since I've been using STI so long, I'd get mixed up on the shifting.

Hey cydewaze. Thanks for the reply.
You know, there is a good market for your extra DA stuff on ebay. That is what I plan to do with my parts - sort of takes some of the guilt out of it. :rolleyes:

Graphxbiz said:
You know, there is a good market for your extra DA stuff on ebay. That is what I plan to do with my parts - sort of takes some of the guilt out of it. :rolleyes:
Bah! Don't tempt me.

Actually, I wouldn't have much stuff to swap, as I'm already using non-shimano hubs, a SRAM chain, and a Chris King headset. Crank, BB, derailleurs, shifters, and brakes, and I'd be completely non-shimano.