Returned my Bicycle Today....

Edudbor

Aug 19, 2007
It purchased a Fuji Roubaix road bicycle 28 days ago (it came with a 30 day return policy).

As a totaly newbie, I started by riding around the block and what not to build up to the 11 miles I'd have to go each way to work and home; but my plan was always to commute to work. Finally, after 3 weeks of practice - doing 4-5 miles at a time; I decided to just go ahead and do the whole 11.

I got about 6 miles, then I had a flat.

It was my back tire, and I have no experience with bicycle repair...but I did switch it out (only to find out that my pump didn't work). A 5 mile walk later, I got to work and had some bike guys help me out. They inflated the tire and told me it seemed 'wrong' and that the tire wasn't "sitting correctly". I did manage to ride home though - it was great. I really enjoyed it.

I took it to the bike shop the next day (Saturday)...and they told me to was fixed on Sunday. They said it was a 'no charge' because it was something they screwed up. They said the rim-tape (I think?) they used was wrong or something. Another guy, with my same bike, had the exact same problem with his tire. I don't know if that's why I got a flat or not though.

So, today (Monday) I'm all pumped for my ride in to work. This time I had the correct pump (just in case) and all that jazz. I rode 2 miles and then my back tire went flat. No glass, rocks, screws, nails or anything in sight. The road was perfectly flat, no bumps or anything.

I took it back for a return because I only had 2 days more to do so...but I really liked the bicycle.

Can you guys tell me what you think was going on? There are little rocks and pebbles along the shoulder of the roads where I ride (I go from small town to slightly bigger town and there isn't much in between)....are road bikes not able to handle that? Or does it sound like I've just got a bad bicycle? They did admit that 'something' was wrong; maybe they didn't really fix it?

I really liked my bicycle and I'd defidently want another road bicycle if I replace it, but I feel guilty about returning all that **** and I don't want to get another bicycle only to find out that all bicycles are like this. Is there something I could have been doing wrong, or something I could have done to prevent the flat tires?

Thanks!
Anyway, I took it out today

Yes, pebbles can cause flats, avoid them at all costs.

Now onto fuji, for whatever reason, they all have trouble with flats out of the box. First thing I did when I bought mine was new tubes, tires, and rim tape. Not sure why, but those few things are never reliable on fujis, no matter what brand the bike is speced with. Shop I work at has problems all the time with flats on fujis and just switch stuff out and get credit from fuji for it. We've been calling it the "Fuji Curse" for about 2 years now. Build a bike, put it on the floor, and 20 minutes later a loud pop deafens all customers standing by the bike. Never happens with any other brand of bike we carry, though...

ToffoIsMe said:

Now onto fuji, for whatever reason, they all have trouble with flats out of the box. First thing I did when I bought mine was new tubes, tires, and rim tape. Not sure why, but those few things are never reliable on fujis, no matter what brand the bike is speced with. Shop I work at has problems all the time with flats on fujis and just switch stuff out and get credit from fuji for it. We've been calling it the "Fuji Curse" for about 2 years now. Build a bike, put it on the floor, and 20 minutes later a loud pop deafens all customers standing by the bike. Never happens with any other brand of bike we carry, though...
I really do try to avoid rocks and pebbles; but it'll be impossible for me to avoid completely. Do you think if I were to buy a different road bike I'd have better luck?

In total, I averaged about 20 miles per flat; but each time I tried to go more than 5 miles; I ended up with a flat. At that rate, I might as well be driving as my gas money is just buying new inner-tubes.

If I had a road bicycle with the skinny 'mountain' kinda tires; would it be better?

I'd make sure the rim tape is seated properly on the rims, otherwise you can get a flat on the inside from the tube being pinched/pressed on the edge of a spoke hole. Also, consider switching to kevlar belted tires like Continental Gatorskins for puncture resistance. Do those things and your troubles will be 99% solved.

(The 1% covers uncontrolable acts of God).

Go get your bike back and then invest in thorn resistant tubes, mr tuffy tire liners, velox cloth rim strips, and a good kevlar belted tire such as conti gatorskins, bontrager hard cases, or specialized armadillos. Problem solved.

ToffoIsMe said:
Go get your bike back and then invest in thorn resistant tubes, mr tuffy tire liners, velox cloth rim strips, and a good kevlar belted tire such as conti gatorskins, bontrager hard cases, or specialized armadillos. Problem solved.
If you like the bike, you should figure out a way to keep it. Try to work with the shop and see if they can come up with a solution you can feel comfortable with.

For instance, even though it is a 30 day return policy, maybe you could get them to agree to take care of flat issues for a longer time until it is solved. Of course, it will happen that you will get flats not due to any deficiency in the bike, but they should work to solve this particular problem.

Are you familiar with the term "pinch flat"? The reason I ask is that it is the only type of flat I've had for a while, and only happens when I'm to lazy to pump up my tires every couple of days or so.

Did they tell you and show you where the flat happened in the tube? Should be able to figure out if what's causing it - pinch, rim tape, road hazard, whatever.

Edudbor said:
....I really liked my bicycle and I'd defidently want another road bicycle if I replace it, but I feel guilty about returning all that **** and I don't want to get another bicycle only to find out that all bicycles are like this. Is there something I could have been doing wrong, or something I could have done to prevent the flat tires?

Thanks!
Sorry , all bicycles can and do get flat tires.

First off--all these new bikes come with non-adhesive slip-on plastic rim strips, and they're JUNK!!! They tend to shift (during tire mounting) and you get spoke-nipple flats. When you get a new bike or wheel, do yourself a BIG favor and take the tires off, toss them damn plastic "shifty-strips" in the trash and wind some old-fashioned adhesive fabric strips on there.

The slip-on plastic strips commonly cause flats by shifting, where the adhesive fabric strips will NEVER shift, and it's only a one-time hassle to put them on.

-----------

Secondly--
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are very puncture-resistant in the tread area.
They come in a bunch of different sizes but the N American distributor's site is down at the moment, so I can't post a link.

It is true that they're rather heavy, but sometimes "super-light racing tires" won't save you as much time as "fixing flats" will take. And flat tires on the way in to work is a pain in the azz. Get bulletproof tires, take a little longer and enjoy the ride.

You could also get airless tires I suppose, but there's a couple serious drawbacks to them--they ride even worse than the Marathon Pluses will.
~

Flats can be fixed easily. Learn how to do it yourself.

The next time it happens, look on the inner tube to see where the hole is.

If it is on the road side of the tube, run your fingers along the inside of the outer tube where the hole is to make sure there isn't a nail or piece of glass protruding through the tire. If there is take it out, else you will get another flat in a few miles.

If it is on the rim side of the tube, it's a rim tape problem. Get new rim tape.

Be careful putting the tube back inside the tire. Only use your fingers if you can, else you can get the pinch flats another responder spoke about.

If you must, get a more flat resistant tire, but this shouldn't be necessary. I commute 52 km round trip to work on Pro Race 2 tires a few times a week (and do longer rides on the weekends), and I've never had a flat since I put these on my bike a few months ago (fingers crossed).

On my hybrid bike, I bought hard rubber strips (don't know what they are called) that go between the tube and the tire. The idea here is that if anything punctures the tire, it can't puncture the hard strip. I've never had a flat on my hybrid since I installed these years ago (I also don't ride my hybrid very much anymore, so that could be part of the success I'm having). They are heavy though, and I wouldn't put them on my road bike.

If you liked that bike, stick with it. This is a problem that can easily be fixed.

Camilo said:
If you like the bike, you should figure out a way to keep it. Try to work with the shop and see if they can come up with a solution you can feel comfortable with.

For instance, even though it is a 30 day return policy, maybe you could get them to agree to take care of flat issues for a longer time until it is solved. Of course, it will happen that you will get flats not due to any deficiency in the bike, but they should work to solve this particular problem.

Are you familiar with the term "pinch flat"? The reason I ask is that it is the only type of flat I've had for a while, and only happens when I'm to lazy to pump up my tires every couple of days or so.

Did they tell you and show you where the flat happened in the tube? Should be able to figure out if what's causing it - pinch, rim tape, road hazard, whatever.
I'd heard that bicycle flats are often caused by under inflation; I had a floor pump with a guage and always pumped to 120 psi as instructed by the bike shop guy before riding.

But nobody showed me or told me what was wrong with the tubes.

I expected to get flats, occassionally; like once a month or so. But 2 out of the 3 times I try to get to work seemed like it was just too much :(

ToffoIsMe said:

Now onto fuji, for whatever reason, they all have trouble with flats out of the box.
yes-me too on my Fuji bought late 2006. Velox rim tape solved my flat problem. Talk about being ****** off!! Buy a $2400 bike and flat 5x in the course of the first 3 rides. Thank goodness for celll phones as I called my wife to pick me up as I ran out of tubes and patches.

Go and get your bike back. Get the proper rim tape as mentioned above. Get good tires (Michelin Pro2 race) and learn to fix a flat, although with the Michelins you may never have to...Now get out there and enjoy your new bike.

I'll second the change of tyres advice.

I bought a new Trek (Bonty select tyres) and a new Marin Mill Valley (Some Vittoria Ambrosio tyres I think) and I had 3 flats with the Trek in two months, with the Marin I had three flats in five trips (including one front blow out taking a corner which nearly had me off in very busy traffic).

I have replaced these variously with Michelin pro race 2, Bonty hard case and Conti gatorskin ultras. I have never had a puncture on any of these tyres.

I question why you would by a road bike as a commuter bike. I would have opted for a hybrid with wider, tougher, more forgiving tires, a more forgiving posture, more manuverable in traffic, and probably much less money. I guess that's your choice.

When I decided to commute on a bike fifteen years ago I went out and bought a used mountain bike and put a road tire on it, panniers for carrying stuff and it worked out great. I love it.

As far as "Flats can be fixed easily. Learn how to do it yourself." I don't agree at all. Even a front flat is a pain in the neck. And, the rear tire is a dirty job dealing with the chain and stuff, let alone just changing the tire. And, I can never get anywhere close to the proper inflation with a hand pump. My advice is to avoid flats at all costs.

Good luck,

Bob

Edudbor said:
It purchased a Fuji Roubaix road bicycle 28 days ago (it came with a 30 day return policy).

As a totaly newbie, I started by riding around the block and what not to build up to the 11 miles I'd have to go each way to work and home; but my plan was always to commute to work. Finally, after 3 weeks of practice - doing 4-5 miles at a time; I decided to just go ahead and do the whole 11.

I got about 6 miles, then I had a flat.

It was my back tire, and I have no experience with bicycle repair...but I did switch it out (only to find out that my pump didn't work). A 5 mile walk later, I got to work and had some bike guys help me out. They inflated the tire and told me it seemed 'wrong' and that the tire wasn't "sitting correctly". I did manage to ride home though - it was great. I really enjoyed it.

I took it to the bike shop the next day (Saturday)...and they told me to was fixed on Sunday. They said it was a 'no charge' because it was something they screwed up. They said the rim-tape (I think?) they used was wrong or something. Another guy, with my same bike, had the exact same problem with his tire. I don't know if that's why I got a flat or not though.

So, today (Monday) I'm all pumped for my ride in to work. This time I had the correct pump (just in case) and all that jazz. I rode 2 miles and then my back tire went flat. No glass, rocks, screws, nails or anything in sight. The road was perfectly flat, no bumps or anything.

I took it back for a return because I only had 2 days more to do so...but I really liked the bicycle.

Can you guys tell me what you think was going on? There are little rocks and pebbles along the shoulder of the roads where I ride (I go from small town to slightly bigger town and there isn't much in between)....are road bikes not able to handle that? Or does it sound like I've just got a bad bicycle? They did admit that 'something' was wrong; maybe they didn't really fix it?

I really liked my bicycle and I'd defidently want another road bicycle if I replace it, but I feel guilty about returning all that **** and I don't want to get another bicycle only to find out that all bicycles are like this. Is there something I could have been doing wrong, or something I could have done to prevent the flat tires?

Thanks!

To answer your more general question: No, road bikes are not supposed to be that way. I haven't had a flat in quite a few years, and more than 10,000 miles on mine. Of course, your mileage may vary as they say; if you ride on really bad roads (though it doesn't sound like you do; a few pebbles every now and then should be no issue at all), you can get more puncture-resistant tires, like the Conti Gatorskins that have been mentioned above. Otherwise, standard good-quality road tires are perfectly fine. Make sure you have proper rim tape, and the tires are properly inflated. Once those two things are taken care of, unless you have some bad luck and hit a piece of glass, nail, etc., you should not see any flats for many, many miles.

BobH said:
I question why you would by a road bike as a commuter bike. I would have opted for a hybrid with wider, tougher, more forgiving tires, a more forgiving posture, more manuverable in traffic, and probably much less money. I guess that's your choice.

When I decided to commute on a bike fifteen years ago I went out and bought a used mountain bike and put a road tire on it, panniers for carrying stuff and it worked out great. I love it.

As far as "Flats can be fixed easily. Learn how to do it yourself." I don't agree at all. Even a front flat is a pain in the neck. And, the rear tire is a dirty job dealing with the chain and stuff, let alone just changing the tire. And, I can never get anywhere close to the proper inflation with a hand pump. My advice is to avoid flats at all costs.

Good luck,

Bob
In high school and college I was somewhat of an avid runner; I've always enjoyed the local 'fun-runs' and 5-10k races the local suburbs would have during the summer.

When I started looking at bicycles I was looking at $100-200 dollar used/crappy sorts of bikes, but I figured; if I buy a $100 dollar POS bicycle and decide I really like cycling, I'd just end up buying a better bike and being out that money. (I ran into the same issue with my guitar; I bought an 'okay' one but before long I wanted a 'good' one).

I figured a decent road bike would still get me to work; but it wouldn't have any sort of storage rack (I just ride with a back-pack) and I'd still be able to use it for local amateur type bicycle races and what not.

I really do like the feel of the road bicycles and the riding position though.

Edudbor said:

Can you guys tell me what you think was going on?
I think that you have bad rim strips.

Rim strips protect the inner tubes from the spoke holes. If the rim strip doesn't cover every tiny little sliver of spoke hole, the air pressure within the tire will push the inner tube into that unfinished metal hole and cause repeated flats. The way to fix it is easy. Install the correct width Velox rim tape (or some similar product) that completely covers the bed of the rim from flange to flange.

One of the other posters indicated that was a common problem with Fuji. I can't say about Fuji but, when I had my own shop, we used to pull the tires from every single Raleigh road bike before we sold it and replaced the plastic rim strips with Velox. Customers don't like flatting during their first ride on a new bike and being told the rim strips are bad. Recently, I performed the same service for a woman customer who had recently bought a new Trek.

Plastic rim strips suck!

If you like the bike, don't sweat the tires. This thread has numerous solutions to the well-documented Fuji flat issue. I'd have been up front with the shop, told them I loved the bike, but ask that they solve the problem. Sounds like they were attempting to do their part. Probably a pretty good LBS.

Edudbor said:
I'd heard that bicycle flats are often caused by under inflation; I had a floor pump with a guage and always pumped to 120 psi as instructed by the bike shop guy before riding.

But nobody showed me or told me what was wrong with the tubes.

I expected to get flats, occassionally; like once a month or so. But 2 out of the 3 times I try to get to work seemed like it was just too much :(
So are you going to try to keep the bike and deal with what is probably a pretty simple issue? You really need them to tell you why the tubes are flatting. I'm very surprised that they would allow the situation to result in a returned bike rather than fixing the problem. Are they a decent shop?

eugkimj said:
If you like the bike, don't sweat the tires. This thread has numerous solutions to the well-documented Fuji flat issue. I'd have been up front with the shop, told them I loved the bike, but ask that they solve the problem. Sounds like they were attempting to do their part. Probably a pretty good LBS.
I don't know; I was pretty ****** - I called them on Sunday at 10:30am to ask when my bicycle would be done. They told me it was already finished and to pick it up anytime. The bike shop is a 40 minute drive for me; I drive out and when I get there they have no idea who I am, they have lost my paperwork and my bicycle is hanging from something with the tires (flat) laying on the floor. They told me to come back in a few hours and they'd have it done. They also accused me of 'skidding my tires' when I first brought it in (I ride like an old lady) as the cause of my tire related problems.

I really felt like the shop was less than helpful or friendly; and I only had another day or so before my 30 days would be up and they would no longer accept the return.

When I brought it in for the return I told them that I really liked the bike but was having trouble getting to work on time. I was 1 for 3 in my attempts and that buying new tubes was costing me more per mile than driving; I asked if there was something that I could use instead, like new tires. The girl at the counter said she wasn't too sure; but that road bicycles get flats a lot more than other stuff. She was very friendly, but I think she was about as new to bicycles as I was. And since I'm a n0ob to bicycles too, I wasn't sure if this was something that was easily fixed or a symptom of a more serious problem (and given that my experience with their repair department was shaddy at best...) I decided just to cut my losses and return the gear.

But after I did, I really missed the bike, lol.

If they'd have said, "Well, why not try these different tubes/tire/rim-tape/whatever and if you still have problems we'll take in back in 10 days" and I have totally gone for it; but I wasn't aware such things existed at the time.

I wish I would have made this thread first; but again, I was very concerned that something serious was wrong and that they wouldn't fix it after 30 days were up :(

Camilo said:
So are you going to try to keep the bike and deal with what is probably a pretty simple issue? You really need them to tell you why the tubes are flatting. I'm very surprised that they would allow the situation to result in a returned bike rather than fixing the problem. Are they a decent shop?
I've already returned the bicycle; oddly enough, it was the only really good experience I had with the shop. The girl that helped me was super friendly, but not very knowledgable (and neither am I).

The reason I made this thread was mostly to see if I had some fluke/screwed up/bad bicycle or if road bicycles are simply very fragile and need to be on roads that are completely free of small rocks and pebbles. I enjoyed the bicycle and I'd still really like to be able to ride to and from work. I really like the road bikes though and I'd prefer one of those over a commuter/mountain bike.

From what everyone is saying, it sounds like there was 'something' wrong and that I should be able to ride to work (which is great news for me). Either the rim-strip/tape (gah, what is that called again?) or I could have gotten different tires or used slim, or gotten protective something or other that goes between the tire and the tube, etc, etc....

I'll call the shop and see if I can't get all my gear back. If I can, I'll take apart the tires and all that jazz myself. This way, if something is screwed up, at least it will be my fault and not someone elses.