Returned my Bicycle Today....

I hope that you can get the bike back. If you are having a hard time with the shop where you bought the bike, you might try taking the bike to a different shop and tell them about the flats. Tell then that you would like to try adhesive backed rim strips and a puncture resistant set of tires and I'm sure that they will be able to help you. I know that you'll probably have to go a long way to get to another bike shop but you didn't have anything to do this weekend anyway, did you:rolleyes: ?

kdelong said:
I hope that you can get the bike back. If you are having a hard time with the shop where you bought the bike, you might try taking the bike to a different shop and tell them about the flats. Tell then that you would like to try adhesive backed rim strips and a puncture resistant set of tires and I'm sure that they will be able to help you. I know that you'll probably have to go a long way to get to another bike shop but you didn't have anything to do this weekend anyway, did you:rolleyes: ?
You know, that's a good point; and really, from what I read - once you have everything up and running a bicycle can last for years and years. A co-worker of mine has had a road bike for over a year without a single flat. So, while it isn't the most fun way to spend a weekend; I think it'd be worth it to get everything just right.

Edudbor said:
You know, that's a good point; and really, from what I read - once you have everything up and running a bicycle can last for years and years. A co-worker of mine has had a road bike for over a year without a single flat. So, while it isn't the most fun way to spend a weekend; I think it'd be worth it to get everything just right.
If you can find another shop w/ the same bike & tell them your experiance. The one shop i went to said that for a true it would be $15 & would take like 2-3 days... ok sure w/e... i picked it up no problem put it on the bike & another 2 spokes broke & most of them weren;t even tight in the first place... so i said screw them & went to one that was near my hometown when i was a kid... alittle bit out of my way, but they are much nicer people. & cost me less, did it in 10 mins, they broke a spoke & replaced it for free... the bike that i am going to buy from there is a little more exspensive, but they are much nicer people.

J5311 said:
If you can find another shop w/ the same bike & tell them your experiance. The one shop i went to said that for a true it would be $15 & would take like 2-3 days... ok sure w/e... i picked it up no problem put it on the bike & another 2 spokes broke & most of them weren;t even tight in the first place... so i said screw them & went to one that was near my hometown when i was a kid... alittle bit out of my way, but they are much nicer people. & cost me less, did it in 10 mins, they broke a spoke & replaced it for free... the bike that i am going to buy from there is a little more exspensive, but they are much nicer people.
Yeah - that's a good point too. I spent a lot of time shopping around and I went to the place with the cheapest prices. Typically, that means the worst service/support.

It's great for someone who knows what they are doing; but in my case I probably should have gone somewhere else and paid a little more.

Live and learn.

Happened to me too. Some new bikes come with the cheapest tires on the world market. Fit puncture proof/resistant tires and forget about punctures. Continental Sportcontacts are lightweight and include a kevlar layer, as do other brands. They are expensive but the ride is better and I rekon I have saved having to fix 50 flats over the last year as I was getting at least one flat a week on the old (new) generic tires, but none on the Contie's.

- even with cheap plastic rim tape , it can be held very nicely
in place with a round of masking tape..

- my Fuji Team (with DAce 7801 wheelset) did that to me once
(the rim tape shifted enough to expose the edge of one spoke hole)
and the inner tube punctured.

cheers.

Yes, something is definately weird there. I am writing an old 70's Schwinn and I have 6 dollar tires from fleet farm, 2.79 tubes from fleet farm, and all I used for rim tape or w/e (the padding between the spoke tops and your tube) was one round of electrical tape. I have been riding it ~1.5 months and I hit relatively big pebbles all the time and I have not had any problems whatsever.

I would really look at repurchasing that or another bike, but I would go to another shop that treats you a little better and does a little more to solve the problem (like you said they could have given you an extension or something on the return policy given the circumstance).

Flats happen. When I first got back on the road, I had three flats in a row. Rather disheartening. Last year, I rode all summer and never had a flat, and that was putting in 20 miles every other day, and 60-80 on weekends. (and thank heavens, I was riding tubies)

Some of this was getting a good setup - get rid of the plastic strip and getting proper rim tape, forget the super light or super cheap tires and get some that would hold up (just retired a set of Michelin Axxials, had one flat with them).

And some of this was learning to watch for road hazards, and avoid roads that had a lot of **** on them. The last flat I had (this spring), I was crossing railroad tracks. Should have gotten off and walked the bike - my fault for being lazy.