Returning To Biking

btay415

Aug 3, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hi, I am a returning biker! I am 15 years old and need advice on how to get better at biking. I usually go a couple miles every couple of days and then I have to go back to school. I was thinking on what I should do to start training to do better things such as riding long distances on weekends. I love riding and would like to do more but I just don't have a lot of time. I would like to know what I could do to get better. I have been riding a mountain bike for years but just got a new bike for my birthday. It is a Trek 1000 Road Bike 50cm 700cc. I love it and have only ridden it around the neighborhood a couple of times and hope to do it more. Just leave suggestions on what to do in your replies.

You're 15?
You have more free time to ride then most of the people on this forum, with any retiree's as an exception.
Just spend time riding, and spend time maintain your bike. Try to learn how to do all your maintenance yourself, lots of good free online resources.
Do you have a group of friends that bike as well? You have nights and weekends free to pursue riding.
Of course school is important, never go riding if you have schoolwork to do or a test to study for.
Eventually if you work hard at both school and bikes, you get to have an awesome life like some of us!
We work hard during the week and we ride hard other times and we take care of our families and those we love.

I am attracted to the thread title because I thought the thread starter is an oldie like me, hahahaaa. At 15, well, you are too young to say returning. The first thing to do is get a bike of your own. That done, find a support group. There's a lot of bikers around, I'm sure, especially the young bikers who's got the energy that they bike everyday during summer. Oh, how I admire those young bikers who seem to be attached too much to their bikes.

A few miles each day is great, and something that you can definitely build on. When you say you're busy, is there anything that you do during the week that you could travel to on your bike? This could be a key way to increase the number of miles that you do, and can also stop you from having to rely on lifts from your parents, which can only be a good thing! You need to think about your schedule - write it down if you feel that this would help you - and have a good think about when you have a little spare time that you could fit a ride into. You will find that there is somewhere to ride, but you might need to take a close look at the things you do during the week, first.

Welcome back! To me, there is nothing that is more fun that biking. It's a great way to stay in shape and have fun at the same time. By the way, be make sure to do things at your own pace. If you feel you need to take it slower since you're just starting again don't be afraid to give yourself some breathing room. Best of luck!

Wow, this is great. Good for you that you are 15 and getting back into biking. I wish you the best. When I was 15 I biked everyday also. I think that I need to get back into biking. If I did I might lose a little weight.

Your only 15 years old, don't rush yourself, you have more time to bike than most of the adults do, just train yourself, there's many guides on the Internet you can read about cycling.