Returning to cycling after baby

shikoku1

Jun 11, 2006
Hi! I haven't posted in a very long time, but I was hoping you ladies could help me out!

I had a baby 4 weeks ago, and am very anxious to get back to riding. My only concern is that I had an episiotomy and am wondering if I should wait a little longer just to let that heal up. The area appears healed and I went out for a short ride down the road to test it out and it felt ok. I am just wondering how soon others returned to cycling after the same thing.

Thanks a lot!

I'd ask your doc whether sitting on a surgical incision after 4 weeks is a good thing too do. I'm guessing that the stiches have been removed and all seems to have healed well.

Normally I'd ask to see pics of the 'cut' too see what it looks like now - but I'm guessing that's not gonna happen. :p

Welcome to Cycling Forums. :D

Hi & congratulations!

What a fitness mom too, wanting to get all up and exercising so soon. Good for you :)

About your question, probably best directed at a doctor if you want the real specifics. Since you are asking us online I suppose a suggestion is in order...

Caveat 1: I've never had an episiotomy
Caveat 2: I've had other stuff done though..

With that in mind, I'd say wait until you are super, super comfortable and healed. For me that means you can touch/squeeze/pinch/put pressure/etc on the surgical area and feel no discomfort or pain. In other words, if you think you are recovered after 4 weeks, I'd play it safe and wait 8 weeks.

In the meantime though I'd be tempted to start on a recumbent bike or better still, a rowing, ski, or stairclimbing type machine. You'll still get the cardiovascular/fitness benefits of riding w/o compromising your healing.

Good luck & best wishes with the baby.

swampy1970 said:
I'd ask your doc whether sitting on a surgical incision after 4 weeks is a good thing too do. I'm guessing that the stiches have been removed and all seems to have healed well.

Normally I'd ask to see pics of the 'cut' too see what it looks like now - but I'm guessing that's not gonna happen. :p

Welcome to Cycling Forums. :D

I don't mean to be prudish or overly sensitive. And in general, I respect a lot of the advice/suggestions from swampy. However, I do want to say that it is difficult enough for women cyclists to be taken seriously, that I am a bit horrified that when a woman asks a legitimate question relating to her health and cycling, that she is faced with a sexually provocative comment. I realize that the comment was in jest, but seriously? was it necessary?

To the OP, good for you for wanting to get back out on the bike only a month after having a child. Training while raising your young family can't be easy, and I wish you the best of luck in meeting all your goals!!!

I think we must have had much different levels of episiotomies. I had a 4th degree and it took about 9 months before I could stomach the thought of sitting on a bike again. I had to have an additional repair with silver nitrate after several months though. Rode for a year and then got pregnant so off the bike again. The next one was a routine epi and it took another 9 months or so.

So I think if it doesn't hurt now, then you are probably healing very effectively. I would also ask your doctor, but take it slow, be smart, and monitor it often.

Congrats on your baby and good luck getting back into cycling! Two things burn off baby weight in my case, breastfeeding and cycling!

shikoku1 said:
Hi! I haven't posted in a very long time, but I was hoping you ladies could help me out!

I had a baby 4 weeks ago, and am very anxious to get back to riding. My only concern is that I had an episiotomy and am wondering if I should wait a little longer just to let that heal up. The area appears healed and I went out for a short ride down the road to test it out and it felt ok. I am just wondering how soon others returned to cycling after the same thing.

Thanks a lot!

Congratulation for having a baby first.
But for getting back to riding after baby, you must have to take suggestion of your doctor first. If he/she will tell it's ok then only getting back to the riding.

I'm sorry for having ZERO useful info to you but I just wanted to say Congrats on the baby! :D

shikoku1 said:

Thanks a lot!

Don't ask the doctor. If you are comfy, you are comfy. Took me a while, but I got back on the horse! I had more stitches than the Bayeux tapestry, but the area (I was told) has a good blood supply and if you are fit you will heal well. Good luck.

I just wanted to say thanks everyone for the words of wisdom and congratulations! I didn't get any notification in my inbox that I had replies, until today.

I went with my gut and comfort level. The midwife told me to wait til 6 weeks. I ended up participating in a race 5 weeks post baby (although what I did that day was just for fun) and a few races through the summer. It took a while to be completely pain free, but I thankfully healed well and was able to ride through the summer (when I had some time to get on the bike). Of course it has taken me all summer to get back to somewhat of where I used to be. So now to live on the trainer all winter and race next summer. Then time for baby #2!!

Thanks again everyone for all your input./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Except to the poster posting all the gibberish. ??

It's good to hear you are doing well, Shikoku1! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

I'll report the gibberish and see if that can be cleaned up.....