For those returning to the saddle after childbirth, finding the right progression is key to protecting pelvic floor health and healing core musculature. It often helps to work with pelvic floor physical therapists before moving back into aggressive upright or drop bar riding to ensure the body is ready for those positions.
Starting with low resistance indoor smart trainer spins can be a great way to eliminate balance issues and road vibration stresses while you rebuild. Gradually re engaging the transverse abdominis and pelvic stabilizers is also important to help prevent long term pain or prolapse.
What has been the most effective way for you to gradually rebuild core stability and pelvic floor strength before heading back out on the road?
Coming back to cycling after a long hiatus myself, I've found that patient core adaptation is just as critical as having the right gearing. You can't rush the body into a fixed position when the supporting musculature isn't ready to hold you there. Whether it's postpartum recovery or just re-adjusting after years away, I've learned that if the core isn't stable, the rest of the bike fit becomes a secondary issue because you'll be fighting the machine instead of riding it.
if the core isn't stable, the rest of the bike fit becomes a secondary issue because you'll be fighting the machine instead of riding it
. I've definitely felt that when I'm transitioning between different setups; if my stabilizers aren't firing, I notice my hips rocking or my pelvis tilting, which makes even a perfect saddle height feel completely wrong. It's a subtle bit of feedback, but once you start noticing it, it's hard to ignore. It makes those slow, steady sessions on a trainer even more valuable for learning how to keep that pelvis neutral while under load.