Reusing Quick Links?

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> Seems like there's been a thread on this before, but I can't recall a clear
> conclusion.
>
> I've been going through SRAM PC48's for a couple years now and mostly throwing
> out the used quicklinks.
>
> Lately been fooling around with larger chainwheels so have had to splice in an
> extra linke or two.
>
> That got me thinking that it might be nice to have a little box of extra links
> laying around at no extra cost.
>
> So: has anybody been reusing these things with impunity?

Yes, but they can be bought separately for small change, so why bother?

The SRAM links are a licensed version of the Craig's SuperLink. I have
not seen a Craig's package in a while but they used to say that the
link should last through about two chains, in other words, it wore a
bit more slowly than the standard chain link. Not sure if the
materials in the SRAM are equivalent and that is true, but I would be
tempted to try to reuse one on a second chain but not with 'impunity'.

- rick

--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Seems like there's been a thread on this before, but I can't recall a clear
> conclusion.
>
> I've been going through SRAM PC48's for a couple years now and mostly throwing
> out the used quicklinks.
>
> Lately been fooling around with larger chainwheels so have had to splice in an
> extra linke or two.
>
> That got me thinking that it might be nice to have a little box of extra links
> laying around at no extra cost.
>
> So: has anybody been reusing these things with impunity?
> --
> PeteCresswell

They wear just like a chain link. Broken chains really hurt. I would
not, do not reuse them.

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Seems like there's been a thread on this before, but I can't recall a clear
> conclusion.
>
> I've been going through SRAM PC48's for a couple years now and mostly throwing
> out the used quicklinks.
>
> Lately been fooling around with larger chainwheels so have had to splice in an
> extra linke or two.
>
> That got me thinking that it might be nice to have a little box of extra links
> laying around at no extra cost.
>
> So: has anybody been reusing these things with impunity?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Others have suggested keeping a used quick link in your saddlebag as an
easy way to reconnect a broken chain if that should occur. Emergency
use only for you or others you may be riding with. My latest quick
links are $2.95 after the various discounts. New chain, new quick
link. Or if you buy SRAM chains, the quick link comes as part of the
price.

well, i guess it depends on how often yawl clean your chain, how gritty
it gets while running, blah blah blah
when new chain time comes, take a look at the links shafts! is one side
thinner than the other?
is there a ledge worn into the shaft's middle?
is it time to change your socks?
then, on the other hand, we could say that some links are worn more
than other links.
this may or not be true depending on your point of view
but in general our opinion rests on the idea that some chain links are
reusable under some conditions
1. poverty
2. a UPS strike
3. the lbs really doesn't like you
4. you went an invested in tweo connex links and can't get your lazy

expletive deleted together to file the little expletive delted
down to spec
5. you threw away the used links-seven years worth. boy are you
stupid. you
don't throw stuff away.that's your first mistake. but i doubt
it.

there are two other factors to consider or implement: a) some chain
links runs are better than others, and c)road grit conditions change
wioth the seasons.

i hope this is of some help.

Per [email protected]:
> if the
>materials in the SRAM are equivalent and that is true, but I would be
>tempted to try to reuse one on a second chain but not with 'impunity'.

I think I'm going with the SRAM leaflet: "Always use a new Power Link when
fitting a new chain...."

Probably the lawyers talking, but in view of the potential consequences....
--
PeteCresswell

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:38:41 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Seems like there's been a thread on this before, but I can't recall a clear
>conclusion.
>
>I've been going through SRAM PC48's for a couple years now and mostly throwing
>out the used quicklinks.
>
>Lately been fooling around with larger chainwheels so have had to splice in an
>extra linke or two.
>
>That got me thinking that it might be nice to have a little box of extra links
>laying around at no extra cost.
>
>So: has anybody been reusing these things with impunity?

Not necessarily with impunity, but certainly with success. I caliper
the pins, and if they're not worn, the link goes into the spares bin.
About one in three passes the test, by the way, so I also have a
number of spares of the KMC "single use" snaplink sitting here, on
which the little nubs that are intended to make them non-removable
have mysteriously vanished, leaving file marks behind. Oddly enough,
I haven't had any trouble with them coming unsnapped, despite the lack
of the nubs. YMMV.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Per Qui si parla Campagnolo:
>Broken chains really hurt.

Been there... and agree 1000%...
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>but in general our opinion rests on the idea that some chain links are
>reusable under some conditions
> 1. poverty
> 2. a UPS strike
> 3. the lbs really doesn't like you
> 4. you went an invested in tweo connex links and can't get your lazy
>
> expletive deleted together to file the little expletive delted
> down to spec
> 5. you threw away the used links-seven years worth. boy are you
>stupid. you
> don't throw stuff away.that's your first mistake. but i doubt
>it.

6. Somebody isn't poor, but is sometimes *really* cheap. Like Yours Truly, for
instance.... But I've decided not to mess with the used links based on posts by
others in this thread.

It was just the idea of paying $4.00 for one lousy link when whole chains can be
had for $9.00 on sale....
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> 6. Somebody isn't poor, but is sometimes *really* cheap. Like Yours Truly, for
> instance.... But I've decided not to mess with the used links based on posts by
> others in this thread.
>
> It was just the idea of paying $4.00 for one lousy link when whole chains can be
> had for $9.00 on sale....

Don't you own a Seven?

Per Peter Cole:
>Don't you own a Seven?

**Sometimes*** really cheap..... Other times self-indulgent to the point where I
feel guilty sometimes.

Funny thing though - the Seven frame cost enough to feed an Indian village for a
month; but when I crunched the numbers from going through two off-the-shelf
frames that just couldn't be made to fit and one custom hardtail that turned out
to be worse than the off-the-shelf frames it turns out that if I'd just thrown
myself on SevenCycles' mercy on day 1 I'd have been ahead of the game by
somewhat more than what the Seven frame cost.
--
PeteCresswell

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Not necessarily with impunity, but certainly with success. I caliper
> the pins, and if they're not worn, the link goes into the spares bin.
> About one in three passes the test, by the way, so I also have a
> number of spares of the KMC "single use" snaplink sitting here, on
> which the little nubs that are intended to make them non-removable
> have mysteriously vanished, leaving file marks behind. Oddly enough,
> I haven't had any trouble with them coming unsnapped, despite the lack
> of the nubs. YMMV.

<chuckle> Thanks for that.

KMC's are widely available locally - and cheaply.
I noticed the "single use only" warning on the packaging and skipped them in
favour of the less common, more expensive SRAM Powerlinks. I'll pick the
KMC's up and give them a go with a file.

C.

Per C.J.Patten:
>I noticed the "single use only" warning on the packaging and skipped them in
>favour of the less common, more expensive SRAM Powerlinks.

The ones that come with my SRAM PC-48's bear a similar warning.
--
PeteCresswell