reusing rim tape?

Bill Henry

Guest
wle wrote:
> if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
> is there anything wrong with just
> putting it back and reusing it?
>
> what is likely to happen if i do that?

The RTMC (Rim Tape Manufacturing Coalition) will seize your wheels and

wle wrote:
> if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
> is there anything wrong with just
> putting it back and reusing it?
>
> what is likely to happen if i do that?

The RTMC (Rim Tape Manufacturing Coalition) will seize your wheels and
you could face a stiff fine and up to six months in jail!

if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
is there anything wrong with just
putting it back and reusing it?

what is likely to happen if i do that?

wle.

> if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
> is there anything wrong with just
> putting it back and reusing it?
>
> what is likely to happen if i do that?
>
> wle.

As long as it's not the cheap plastic stuff (which dies quickly whether you
remove it or not), it should be fine to re-use it. I've often re-used the
same velox rim tape when I've replaced an older wheel or rim.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

wle wrote:
> if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
> is there anything wrong with just
> putting it back and reusing it?
>
> what is likely to happen if i do that?

You'll probably put the tube and tire on the wheel, pump it up, and ride
off into the sunset (or the sunrise), and keep on riding.

(In other words, "nothing much." ;)

Pat

clean rim and spoke holes! clean rim with green abrasive pad and
solvent-thinner-cho(gettin rid of the thinner) or walmort prestonbe
silicone if not to grubby. get the clincher area clean.
helps to have a rear triangle wheel trueing stand. spin and clean.
wipe the velox clean with rag
using a good duct tape-nashua-not woolmort-
tape 2-3 inches of velox to the rim so nipple holes match and turn rim,
then turn rim feeding the tape on, maintaining opposite pressures on
rim and tape so the tape goes on stretched and tight after setting the
holes together.
then duct the over lap together
duct splits to the inner rim width cutting into the duct end an inch
with a razor then peeling down the roll a few inches for your rim
splicing duct length and razoring that off the roll.
the velox nipple hole is easily reinforced with duct. tape over after
cleaning then awl thru
lasts 'forever'. and buy an extra roll for the tool box.

Quoting wle <[email protected]>:
>if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
>is there anything wrong with just
>putting it back and reusing it?

I always do that (with the Velox "Fond of Janet" cloth tape - other stuff
tends not to work); a small piece of duct tape holds the join together
when it gets unsticky.
Today is Teleute, September.

On 12 Sep 2005 20:30:11 -0700, "wle" <[email protected]> wrote:

>if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
>is there anything wrong with just
>putting it back and reusing it?

If it's decent tape, no.

>what is likely to happen if i do that?

If it's decent tape, nothing.

Rim tape is just there to smooth out the surface and fill in the gaps.
As long as it does that, it's OK.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

You should never re-use rim tape. Also, you should always replace your bike
helmet if it's ever exposed to sunshine.

;-)

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:lIs*[email protected]...
> Quoting wle <[email protected]>:
>>if i take off rim tape to replace spokes,
>>is there anything wrong with just
>>putting it back and reusing it?

> I always do that (with the Velox "Fond of Janet" cloth tape - other stuff
> tends not to work); a small piece of duct tape holds the join together
> when it gets unsticky.
> --
> David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
> Today is Teleute, September.

One other thing to note about rim tape is that if it is not cloth tape but
some form of plastic beware. I just had a puncture due to the plastic rim
tape on my wheel failing and collapsing into the rim eyelet. The tape came
with the wheel on a decent bike but was clearly not up to the 145 psi (10
bar) pressure my tyres are rated at.