Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

reusing shimano "special" hubs

Started by geos · · Last activity · 4 posts · 588 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 February 2006
Last activity
18 February 2006
Original author
geos
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
588
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. hello,

    is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these hubs,
    or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to make a
    wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas etc.

    thanks,
    geos

  2. geos said:

    hello,

    is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these hubs,
    or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to make a
    wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I suppose you could make it work with 16 fiberfix spokes and a 16 or 32
    hole rim. It wouldn't be the safest or cheapest thing to do but it
    should be possible. You might need to smooth any sharp edges in the
    tapped flange to avoid cutting the kevlar.

  3. geos said:

    hello,

    is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these


    hubs,

    Quoted message said:

    or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to


    make a

    Quoted message said:

    wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I would think that having some spokes custom cut/rolled (on both ends)
    would be the "best" solution.

    Or you could just buy some regular hubs, spokes, & rims.

    SYJ

  4. geos said:

    hello,

    is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these hubs,
    or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to make a
    wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas etc.

    thanks,
    geos

    Probably if you find a rim that can accept straight pull spokes at the
    rim, you could do it. Don't loose the 'nipples' at the hub, two types
    for the rear and really hard to find. Not sure why the fascination with
    this hub tho-DA or Ultegra conventional hubs work really well. I
    wouldn't go drilling holes in the side of a rim tho-

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.