reusing shimano "special" hubs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by geos, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. geos

    geos Guest

    hello,

    is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these hubs,
    or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to make a
    wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas etc.

    thanks,
    geos

    Tags:

  2. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    geos wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    > wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    > possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these hubs,
    > or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to make a
    > wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I suppose you could make it work with 16 fiberfix spokes and a 16 or 32
    hole rim. It wouldn't be the safest or cheapest thing to do but it
    should be possible. You might need to smooth any sharp edges in the
    tapped flange to avoid cutting the kevlar.

  3. SYJ

    SYJ Guest

    geos wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    > wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    > possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these

    hubs,
    > or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to

    make a
    > wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?

    I would think that having some spokes custom cut/rolled (on both ends)
    would be the "best" solution.

    Or you could just buy some regular hubs, spokes, & rims.

    SYJ

  4. geos wrote:
    > hello,
    >
    > is there any way of using shimano hubs originally mounted in their
    > wheelsets like WH-7700 with nipples at the hub? I wonder if it is
    > possible and safe to make a wheel using traditional rims and these hubs,
    > or to drill a regural rims like Shimano's (on their side) and to make a
    > wheel with classic 16 spokes pattern? Anyone ever tried this?
    >
    > I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas etc.
    >
    > thanks,
    > geos

    Probably if you find a rim that can accept straight pull spokes at the
    rim, you could do it. Don't loose the 'nipples' at the hub, two types
    for the rear and really hard to find. Not sure why the fascination with
    this hub tho-DA or Ultegra conventional hubs work really well. I
    wouldn't go drilling holes in the side of a rim tho-