Reverse Worn Chainwheel?

Macmillin

Guest
I have a 53/39 Shimano 600 crankset (on an 8-spd setup) that has about 8,000 miles on it. The small
chainwheel appears to be somewhat worn, although I don't experience any chain skip yet. The large
chainwheel is in much better shape. I replace the chain about every 3,000 miles.

My question is, would it be possible to turn the small chainwheel around so that the other (unworn)
side of teeth are exposed to wear?

> My question is, would it be possible to turn the small chainwheel around
so
> that the other (unworn) side of teeth are exposed to wear?

Chainrings aren't symmetrical; the inside chainring will have an indented area for the chainring
bolts on one side, and not the other. If you reverse it, you'll have less thread engagement (not a
good thing, as chainring bolts do break once in a while) and also run a risk of running them into
your chainstay if you have close clearance.

Also, many chainring designs have teeth that are offset to one side, so that reversing one changes
the distance between chainrings. This can cause shifting difficulties.

And finally, this doesn't apply to your chainring, but on the outer chainring on a double, and the
outer two chainrings on a triple, there are special engagement ramps & pins that help with shifting,
and require the chainring be oriented in its designed direction.

news:[email protected]...