Reversing Clogged Arteries

Skofeld

Guest
What is a good diet or supplements to reverse artery clog?

Skofeld wrote:
: What is a good diet or supplements to reverse artery clog?

Reversing atheroclerosis is quite an ambitious goal but it has been done by
very low fat Esselstyn and Ornish diets but they are hard to follow.

I would suggest pomegranate juice or pomegranates daily. Avoiding saturated
fat and transfat. Other antioxidants from natural sources. Omega-3 fatty
acids from both plant sources and fish oils.

--
Juhana

On 7 Jan 2006 01:43:13 -0800, "Skofeld" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is a good diet or supplements to reverse artery clog?

How do you know your arteries are "clogged"?

On 7 Jan 2006 01:43:13 -0800, "Skofeld" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What is a good diet or supplements to reverse artery clog?

What are your levels of fibrinogen and C-reactive protein?
Inflammation appears to be the culprit in "clogged" arteries. It would
be important to know if these two inflammation makers are elevated or
not before suggesting anything else.

The Pritikin Diet is less restrictive and has been documented as being
extremely effective in lowering blood pressure, blood sugar, blood
lipids, and probably also reverses plaque buildup in the arteries. It
can be found on the internet.

Dr. Ornish did a three month study of the effect of pomegranate juice
on the arteries and found that in a short time it caused some reversal
of plaque buildup. On the other hand the study was funded by Pom
Wonderful (brand) pomegranate juice company so you have to decide if
you want to try it. The amount in the study was one cup per day. It
is expensive--9 dollars for 46 ounces at my supermarket. It is more
expensive in the smaller bottles. It must be refrigerated and you can
find it in the fruit and produce section of your super market.

Pritikin, Ornish and others say that while exercise alone will not
reverse plaque buildup, it causes collaterals to form, thus forming
additional routes for the blood to travel--or something like that.

I just read a book called "The China Study" by Colin Campbell and he
claims that supplements have been found not to have the touted effect
and that whole foods have combinations of nutrients that work together
in ways the individual supplement does not. Is he right? I don't
know.

Dolores

Most likely, the person has a diet which is acting as a major oxidizing
agent. Avoid oxidized cholesterol and foods that have that effect,
such as any major source of unsaturated fatty acids (particularly the
way "Westerners" cook). Search this group for montygram and read my
dietary suggestions. I had an MRA done a couple years ago - no signs
of any atherosclerotic buildup (age 41 now).

dorsy1943 wrote:
: The Pritikin Diet is less restrictive and has been documented as being
: extremely effective in lowering blood pressure, blood sugar, blood
: lipids, and probably also reverses plaque buildup in the arteries.
: It can be found on the internet.

Good addition. I think that the Pritikin diet would work also, but I am not
aware of any studies showing that it would reverse plaque formation.

: Dr. Ornish did a three month study of the effect of pomegranate juice
: on the arteries and found that in a short time it caused some reversal
: of plaque buildup. On the other hand the study was funded by Pom
: Wonderful (brand) pomegranate juice company so you have to decide if
: you want to try it. The amount in the study was one cup per day. It
: is expensive--9 dollars for 46 ounces at my supermarket. It is more
: expensive in the smaller bottles. It must be refrigerated and you can
: find it in the fruit and produce section of your super market.

There are other and longer studies (up to three years) about pomegranate
juice.

:
: I just read a book called "The China Study" by Colin Campbell and he
: claims that supplements have been found not to have the touted effect
: and that whole foods have combinations of nutrients that work together
: in ways the individual supplement does not. Is he right? I don't
: know.
:
: Dolores

I have read The China Study, too. While I think that there is pretty
impressive stuff in the book Campblell has a strong bias when it comes to
certain things. I think that his basic approach to stress the importance of
whole diet over supplements is correct, but he ends up denying the
usefulness of supplements even when these have been shown to be beneficial.
One example is that belittles the importance of omega-3 fatty acids.

--
Juhana

montygram wrote:

> Most likely, the person has a diet which is acting as a major oxidizing
> agent. Avoid oxidized cholesterol and foods that have that effect,
> such as any major source of unsaturated fatty acids (particularly the
> way "Westerners" cook). Search this group for montygram and read my
> dietary suggestions. I had an MRA done a couple years ago - no signs
> of any atherosclerotic buildup (age 41 now).

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

You have earned the title: Food Faddist!

http://food.naturalhealthperspective.com/faddism.html
"Food Faddism is a dietary practice based upon an exaggerated belief in
the effects of food or nutrition on health and disease.

Food Faddism derives from these three beliefs:
2. That certain foods should be eliminated from the diet because they
are harmful.
If you keep at it long enough, you will find that Food Faddism
advocates have some type of abnormal condition.

In Conclusion: Food Faddists have a right to be concerned about these
issues. What is wrong with Food Faddism is their extremist position.
>From the Natural Health PerspectiveTM good health is about achieving a

proper balance in five areas: Diet, Nutritional Supplements, Exercise,
Attitude, and Resilience. Food Faddism is NOT about taking a moderate
approach. The lives of Food Faddists are out of balance due to their
extremist positions that good health is ONLY about their pet issues."

Yes, Search this group for montygram and read how he says that the
consumption of fish and other PUFAs in your diet is the cause of every
ailment known to man.
--
john gohde
http://naturalhealthperspective.com/

So Ornish and Pritikin wrote books on diet and went out and did their
own studies to show that their diets are effective. What else would
their studies find, other than their books are the best thing since
sliced bread? Better rush out there and buy their books. These guys are
geniuses. Ot is it genii?

Can you spell "conflict of interest"? "Self enrichment"? "Capitalism"?

Gull - eeee - bull.

TC

dorsy1943 wrote:
> The Pritikin Diet is less restrictive and has been documented as being
> extremely effective in lowering blood pressure, blood sugar, blood
> lipids, and probably also reverses plaque buildup in the arteries. It
> can be found on the internet.
>
> Dr. Ornish did a three month study of the effect of pomegranate juice
> on the arteries and found that in a short time it caused some reversal
> of plaque buildup. On the other hand the study was funded by Pom
> Wonderful (brand) pomegranate juice company so you have to decide if
> you want to try it. The amount in the study was one cup per day. It
> is expensive--9 dollars for 46 ounces at my supermarket. It is more
> expensive in the smaller bottles. It must be refrigerated and you can
> find it in the fruit and produce section of your super market.
>
> Pritikin, Ornish and others say that while exercise alone will not
> reverse plaque buildup, it causes collaterals to form, thus forming
> additional routes for the blood to travel--or something like that.
>
> I just read a book called "The China Study" by Colin Campbell and he
> claims that supplements have been found not to have the touted effect
> and that whole foods have combinations of nutrients that work together
> in ways the individual supplement does not. Is he right? I don't
> know.
>
> Dolores

Au Natural

Oil yourself up .. and eat vegetarian .
---------------------------------

Phosphatidyl choline (PC) penetrates effectively throughout the
epidermis

PMID: 10759821, UI: 20223832

www.usaweekend.com/00_issues/000305/000305eatsmart.html

Two types of vitamin E -- the antioxidant powerhouse -- can prevent
surgery in some patients with severe narrowing of the carotid artery in
the neck, one of the biggest causes of stroke.
Cardiologist Marvin Bierenbaum of the Kenneth L. Jordan Heart Research
Foundation in Montclair, N.J., gave 50 patients a vitamin E combination
of 100 milligrams of alpha tocopherol plus 240mg of tocotrienols. This
duo acted as a RotoRooter through the blockages in 40% of the patients.

http://tinyurl.com/859gd

Crude lecithin?whether from soy, corn, canola, rice or other oils?is
composed of a variety of compounds. Some of these components?such as
tocopherol or vitamin E?possess significant nutritional benefits. The
emulsifying phospholipid portion of lecithin contains
phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylsterine and other phospholipids.

http://tinyurl.com/8bejv

Athletes should get on the grain train

All aboard for energy, protein without the fat
August 22, 2000
Active people might know that grains deliver high-quality
carbohydrates, but more of them are avoiding the food group anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2526891.stm

Vegetarian diet 'cuts heart risk'

The diet combines vegetables, fruit and nuts

Eating more vegetables and soya-based products may be as effective at
reducing cholesterol as medication.

in particular, the anti-atherogenic properties of soy lecithin cannot
be attributed solely to its linoleate content.

PMID: 9733225 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Vopr Pitan. 2005;74(5):28-31. Links

[Influence of phospholipids on efficiency of dietary therapy and
parameters of lipids metabolism in patients with hypertension]

[Article in Russian]

[No authors listed]

The estimation of efficiency complex dietary therapy with inclusion of
phospholipids at patients with essential hypertension I and II stage.
It was carried out(spent), that inclusion of 2 grams of lecithin in a
diet for 4 weeks rendered positive influence on the clinical
presentation of disease, condition antioxidant status in cellular
membranes of erythrocytes and some biochemical indexes of lipid
metabolism.

PMID: 16313134 [PubMed - in process]

Lipostabil is phosphatidylcholine, a liquid form of lecithin, an enzyme
which occurs naturally in the body. It was first used in the 1950s to
dial down climbing cholesterol and triglyceride numbers and is approved
for use, according to the manufacturer, in Brazil, Germany, Italy and
South America.

http://tinyurl.com/3eh6p

http://alternativemedicine.wwwcomm.com/Article.asp?ID=2412

Cutting High Blood Pressure Naturally. It looks as if fresh fruits and
vegetables could once again be coming to the rescue, this time as a way
of controlling high blood pressure.

After only two weeks, their blood pressure dropped to levels previously
attainable only with medication.

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

TC wrote:

: So Ornish and Pritikin wrote books on diet and went out and did their
: own studies to show that their diets are effective. What else would
: their studies find, other than their books are the best thing since
: sliced bread?

Well, I know what your position is.

: Better rush out there and buy their books. These guys
: are geniuses. Ot is it genii?

I am quite surprised that you recommend their books. LOL

: Can you spell "conflict of interest"? "Self enrichment"? "Capitalism"?
:
: Gull - eeee - bull.

It would be nice to see some real substance in your postings.

--
Juhana

"TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So Ornish and Pritikin wrote books on diet and went out and did their
> own studies to show that their diets are effective. What else would
> their studies find, other than their books are the best thing since
> sliced bread? Better rush out there and buy their books. These guys
> are
> geniuses. Ot is it genii?
>
> Can you spell "conflict of interest"? "Self enrichment"? "Capitalism"?

Can you spell Atkins? Talk about calling the kettle black.

-DF