Review - Cyclaire Plus Bike Pump

beanspropulsion

Feb 24, 2007
As promised earlier I thought I would give my thoughts opinions on this product:

pumppic.jpg

If you haven't heard about them before the Cyclaire Plus bicycle pump for presta/schrader valves uses a "ripcord" to power the compresser and will inflate to 120psi.

The pump arrived only 5 days after ordered, was packaged well and has comprehensive instructions.

Cyclaire002.jpg

Thank goodness it passes quarantine inspection!

Cyclaire005.jpg

Front of retail package

Cyclaire006.jpg

Rear of retail package

Cyclaire009.jpg

Attached to my modest machine

Once out of the packaging the unit feels solid and durable, the plastic and rubber casing is well finished and the unit sits on grippy rubber feet.

The unit is easy to use. However care needs to be taken when attaching the nozzle. I destroyed a tube after initially attaching the nozzle too far down the valve stem subsequently splitting the tube rubber when I had to use more force than would be necessary to detatch the nozzle.

Using the ripcord is easier than starting a mower with a lot less resistance. I was able to keep an upright position whilst pulling the cord, so it is easy on the back and certainly easier than using a pump.

The instructions claim that the unit will inflate most tyres within 2 minutes. This claim is plausible as it took around 4 minutes to inflate my road tyres to 100 psi.

Negative thought # 1. You need to cycle the pump in order to get a pressure reading which then slides back to zero, you don't seem to get a constant pressure readout unless you are actively pulling the cord.

Negative thought # 2. The unit has a small compartment in the base of the pump to hold a few puncture repair patches. The rubber bung cover falls out too easy rendering it useless. It feels like an afterthought to an otherwise fine product but doesn't affect the performance or asthetics.

The unit weighs just over 300 grams (compared to 200g for my normal pump) and measures 155 x 65 x 50 so is certainly able to be transported in a larger under saddle bag. My saddle bag isn't big enough so I will try it in the pocket of my cycling shirt and see how it goes.

All in all a good product, well designed and made of a durable materials that should go the distance.

Price was $47.83 aus including delivery at current exchange rates. Order online at www.cyclaire.com

(Please note I am not associated/affiliated with, or paid by Cyclaire.)

i currently own a first generation Cyclaire and it came with a saddle pack. i'm surprised that the revised version didn't. i'm also surprised that it took you four minutes to pump it up to 100psi, which is no different from the original Cyclaire. so much for their claim of 20% quicker. lastly, i'm quite surprised that the gauge indicator slides back to zero after every stroke. that certainly isn't the case with the original Cyclaire - the gauge indicator stays at the current pressure.

looks like i'll give this a miss and stick to the original Cyclaire. a much better improvement would have been size and weight reduction while increasing air fill per stroke.

boon

boon said:
i currently own a first generation Cyclaire and it came with a saddle pack. i'm surprised that the revised version didn't. i'm also surprised that it took you four minutes to pump it up to 100psi, which is no different from the original Cyclaire. so much for their claim of 20% quicker. lastly, i'm quite surprised that the gauge indicator slides back to zero after every stroke. that certainly isn't the case with the original Cyclaire - the gauge indicator stays at the current pressure.

looks like i'll give this a miss and stick to the original Cyclaire. a much better improvement would have been size and weight reduction while increasing air fill per stroke.

boon
You can get the saddle pack I just didn't choose that option.
It doesn't slide back after every stroke, but it does go back to zero when you stop "pumping". 4 minutes was a rough estimate but possibly I have bought a faulty one?

Thanks for your reply Boon, I will email Cyclaire and ask them.

Update.... i'm an idiot... have been pushing nozzle on to the stem too far, and this obviously impedes a correct pressure reading. Works fine now.