Review: Specialized 'Element 2.0' Gloves

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
They suck.

Junk.

Worthless. Over-priced. Junk.

"Windstopper" / Packaging Wind Rating (5)
No. Not even.
Junk. Trash. Beyond garbage. Way beyond.

"Rated to 32° / Package F" Warmth Rating (4)
Like the Hell it is. It was 32° when I started riding this afternoon in the sun and my hands froze WITH wool glove liners inside these worthless excuses for cycling gloves. And no, my hands were not sweating.

Every time I turned into the head wind I could feel...or maybe NOT FEEL...my fingers going numb. Every time I turned out of the wind I regained some feeling in my numb fingers.

My rating: SAVE YOUR MONEY! Go to Wally World or Tractor Supply or Menards and buy 5 pairs of decent winter gloves for the same money. The big box store gloves work as well or better than these.

at $65 USD you'd expect them to be decent quality.
specialized-element-2.0-gloves-225385-01.8.jpg

I paid $60 and they are going right back to Spesh. Utter garbage when compared to the $1.99 (on sale) el cheap ski gloves I buy at Menards. And those ski gloves are on sale for $1.99 right now. I think I'll go buy 5 more pairs tomorrow for a 10-spot. Wear a pair for a couple weeks and then toss them into the wash and use them around the farm or stash them in the various vehicles for tire-changing work, snow shoveling or such.

The Element 2.0 claims 140 grams of Thinsulate insulation. My Tractor Supply Rubberized fabric winter glove cost $9.95 on after Christmas sale, have 200 grams of Thinsulate, rubberized stuff that really does block the wind and gauntlet cuffs w/draw strap that prevent gaps at the jersey cuff.

The Element gloves won't even close the inadequate Velcro wrist closure with the liners worn inside the gloves. The gloves also have a short cuff. Great for styling at the coffee shop, not so hot (or cold?) when your base layer and/or jersey sleeves pull up while on the bike.

For 40°-45° work the Element 2.0 gloves are adequate...but, then again what glove is NOT decent enough for those temperatures?

One positive note for the Element gloves. The finger tips are supposed have some sort of "Wiretap" touchscreen compatibility treatment. They work at least as well as any other glove I've used on my Garmin 510's touchscreen. Whatever it is...at least it didn't screw up using the touchscreen.

91hIG1NM2iL._SL1500_.jpg
Save your money on these as well. I love the Sugoi brand, it feels like their clothing is made for me. I'm an awkward fit for most brands,but....Their gloves suck!!! The stitching is very cheaply made and the cold goes through them like they were nothing. I'll be also waiting in line at Wally World,lol..

They suck.

Junk.

Worthless. Over-priced. Junk.

Now thats what I call an unbiased review! :D

Wanna join the "Volnix institute for Bike equipment testing"? :D We have openings! :D

Btw if you have 60€ for gloves burning a hole in your pocket, have you checked "Sealskins"? They seem pretty solid...

The touchscreen thing is just a conducting material. Maybe just wire?

lts me! :D Just an average every day cyclist knocking down a whole team worth of dope! :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

all-season-glove-black.jpg

Reactions: steve
I'm going to try these Element 2.0's again today in 40° temps and see if they work at even that temperature range. My fingers were so far gone yesterday shifting became a real effort and my middle finger was working better than the index finger...or maybe I was just thinking of flipping off Spesh?

DAYAM!!!!

I just went to the Sealskinz website and their over-priced road cycling gloves get some really shitty, but honest reviews!

http://www.sealskinz.com/US/gloves/extra-cold-winter-cycle-gloves

"I was not satisfied with the product, as i was really cold"

"...use for cycling and disappointed in that my hands very cold quickly in the recent freezing weather, particularly as advertised as cycle gloves for extra cold winter. Given the price and how advertised feel particularly disappointed."

"Ridden with twice, once in cold and dry (OK) once in cold and wet. They have no waterproofing qualities whatsoever, freezing cold, wet, oh so wet hands."

"Very disappointed by this product. I purchased for exactly what they call themselves - extra cold winter cycling gloves. In cold temperatures I still end up with frozen fingertips while cycling to and from work."

"Useless. These were bought as a Xmas gift. Used them three times now. Twice in wet conditions. IN the cold yes they keep your hands warm. But I ride in all weathers and have now used them in wet conditions, my hands were frozen by the time I got home as they absorbed the water, the inners get wet and the result is cold fingers."

"I still get painfully cold finger tips from the cold wind."

"I found my fingertips getting cold to the point of pain."

Yeah, Spesh and Sealskinz suck equally. I rate the above reviewers as totally trustworthy and you can trust CampyBob when he tells you that Spesh Element Gloves are just plain **** for Winter road cycling.

Maybe I can use them to shovel snow???

" like this reviewer's comment:

"These gloves are not even better than the gloves I bought from Aldi a couple of years ago !"

Egg.
Zactlee!!!

The $1.99 'ski' gloves from Menard's keep my hands Justas cold...er...warm as the $60 'Winter' cycling gloves.

Once again, cycling gear manufacturers lead the way in craptastic products at ripoff prices.

But they have Ze ConduitTM Material for contacting le SmartPhanny phones spirits when you drinky Spirits!! :D

Le Aldi Onez are cheap and are sold with a free can of white lightning! :p

you zould buy the liner too you sealskinz hater you.

Less bandwith for you from Virgins Solar ***** Server you non-comforming glove Diy-Alchemist - Witch! :D

1387560808_They-Live-3.jpg

Zey are like Zan Franzisko CNC Mill operating Hipster® Monkey ****, but from Europa!© and with a Natsi Sewing machine! No? :D

Do you wants the Merino Layer in Gray (which oddly might last longer) or in Hi Viz Zombie Green to wear on its own you Ex-Class 4 racer you? :D

Did 44 miles today in 40° to 37° temperatures. Wearing the Element 2.0 gloves with wool glove liners my hands were 'kind of cold' to 'just a little chilled'.

Again, no better warmth or performance from the Spesh gloves than from any department store Thinsulate glove found almost anywhere for $10 or less.

I would rate the freedom of movement as average...no heavy Winter glove gives me good finger control or range of movement even with toasty warm hands. For dexterity they are just meh.

Did 44 miles today in 40° to 37° temperatures. Wearing the Element 2.0 gloves with wool glove liners my hands were 'kind of cold' to 'just a little chilled'.

Again, no better warmth or performance from the Spesh gloves than from any department store Thinsulate glove found almost anywhere for $10 or less.

I would rate the freedom of movement as average...no heavy Winter glove gives me good finger control or range of movement even with toasty warm hands. For dexterity they are just meh.

And you are using thumb shifters too?!

Or did you do Shimano! today? :D

Maybe you needs. . . New hands?? :D

3A0.jpg

Campagnolo today and all the rides this week. It only took me one ride before I stopped trying to break my brake levers.

shitmaNO is da debil!

Pearl Izoooomi gloves for the win. All their stuff is good but I couldn't comment on their shoes.

I don't ride in freezing conditions often but they've helped in rides in the high mountains when it's been snowing. They're the thinner versions of the lobster gloves - basically well made lightweight gloves with a wind proof covering that was easy to slip over two fingers, hence the lobster moniker.

I've heard great things about the heavier winter versions from my friends back in Inger-land.

Pearl Izoooomi gloves for the win. All their stuff is good but I couldn't comment on their shoes.

I don't ride in freezing conditions often but they've helped in rides in the high mountains when it's been snowing. They're the thinner versions of the lobster gloves - basically well made lightweight gloves with a wind proof covering that was easy to slip over two fingers, hence the lobster moniker.

I've heard great things about the heavier winter versions from my friends back in Inger-land.

Hows their impact protection when you "Hit da house"? :p

Hows their impact protection when you "Hit da house"? :p

Wouldn't know - I was wearing Descente and Assos gear then with a Specialized helmet.

When I ride yo mamma, I do so without clothing or protection.

It seems like his fingers aren't the only things to suffer in the cold. From Bob's Christmas get together with a few gun toting rednecks comes his angelic tones:

It's official.

Swami is as queer as two boys kissing. An Engrishman...living in Kaleefornya...driving a Miata...posting gay **** videos. It all makes sense.

By P.I. I'm assuming you mean these top-of-the-line semi-lobster $120 REALLY over-priced gloves...almost identical to the only stupidly over-priced Spesh POS I recently bought?

No thanks. My $10 gloves have the gauntlet cuff, draw strap closure and more insulation than the P.I. wallet busters.

P.R.O. AmFIB® Super Glove
$120.00 USD
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=487&product_id=2521294&outlet=&color_code=021

or this?

P.R.O. AmFIB Lobster® Glove
$75.00 USD
http://shop.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=487&product_id=2521295&outlet=&color_code=021

The light version rubberized, 120 gram Thinsulate gloves for $11.24 at Tractor Supply:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ated-thinsulate-glove-bark-brown?cm_vc=-10005
Find them on sale around $9-$10.

Rubberized ****-brown gloves. What an ace find Bob. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out why those are on sale...

If you read the post you'd see that I put "the thinner version" of those gloves. Then again, I didn't phrase it in quasi-CampagNOlo-esque italianengrish so maybe that's why you failed.

The two lobster covers that went over fingers 1/2 and 3/4 were easy to unhook which left those fingers free when dexterity was required. The only downside was that I change into a bigger gear using my middle finger, so that was a little awkward at times having to use the 3rd finger instead.

After many a year of freezing my fingers and toes off I learned that comfortably warm fingers and toes are more enjoyable than a fat wallet. If lesser gloves fail, then it's time to give the good stuff a go. The Descente gloves I had back in the mid 90's were ace down to about 25F on wet/windy days. The padding wasn't overly restrictive but it did feel a little weird if your hands got a bit sweaty. Sadly, they died a horrible death during a decade in storage and the subsequent wash that followed.

Rubberized ****-brown gloves. What an ace find Bob. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out why those are on sale...

If you read the post you'd see that I put "the thinner version" of those gloves. Then again, I didn't phrase it in quasi-CampagNOlo-esque italianengrish so maybe that's why you failed.

The two lobster covers that went over fingers 1/2 and 3/4 were easy to unhook which left those fingers free when dexterity was required. The only downside was that I change into a bigger gear using my middle finger, so that was a little awkward at times having to use the 3rd finger instead.

After many a year of freezing my fingers and toes off I learned that comfortably warm fingers and toes are more enjoyable than a fat wallet. If lesser gloves fail, then it's time to give the good stuff a go. The Descente gloves I had back in the mid 90's were ace down to about 25F on wet/windy days. The padding wasn't overly restrictive but it did feel a little weird if your hands got a bit sweaty. Sadly, they died a horrible death during a decade in storage and the subsequent wash that followed.

Why did you get gloves? I thought you are in California!

Do the doctors in the ward make you wear them? :p

#Campy
Here, Endura, padded too! :p So you wont look like a Miner. :p

26831.jpg