Revised Page & New Pix (Again!)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Nelson Binch, May 12, 2003.

  1. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me his, basically so I could
    learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So, in a frenzy of
    tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my stable (including my
    wife's this time!)

    Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
    $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex) but I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this
    sport building and maintaining my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!"
    then I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not what I'm about.

    I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

    Tags:

  2. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me his, basically so I could
    learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So, in a frenzy of
    tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my stable (including my
    wife's this time!)

    Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
    $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex) but I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this
    sport building and maintaining my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!"
    then I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not what I'm about.

    I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.

    http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me his, basically so I could
    > learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So, in a frenzy of
    > tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my stable (including my
    > wife's this time!)
    >
    > Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
    > $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex) but I get a large portion of my enjoyment in
    > this sport building and maintaining my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about
    > the "RIDE!" then I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not what
    > I'm about.

    So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it. I too enjoy working on bikes, and building them
    (now that i have had the chance). the pride in building a bike is similar to an artist creating a
    sculpture. in order to show of the fine job you have done, it is necessary to allow others to see
    it, either in person, or via photographs. A lot of hotrod makers will list the specs of their
    creation. why? so others can marvel over their selection of components, and then check the picture
    to see how they all fit together into one perfect machine.

    > I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.
    >
    > http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html

    He he, i did that too in my page address posting a while back.

    I guess, contrary to opinion, we are all human.

    May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still link
    to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.

    IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    | > Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me
    his,
    | > basically so I could learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.)
    | > So, in a frenzy of tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my
    | > stable (including
    my
    | > wife's this time!)
    | >
    | > Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
    | > $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex)
    but
    | > I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this sport building and
    maintaining
    | > my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!"
    then
    | > I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not
    what
    | > I'm about.
    | >

    | So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it. I too enjoy working on bikes, and building them
    | (now that i have had the chance). the pride in building a bike is similar to an artist creating a
    | sculpture. in order to show of the fine job you have done, it is necessary to allow others to see
    | it, either in person, or via photographs. A lot of hotrod makers will list the specs of their
    | creation. why? so others can marvel over their selection of components, and then check the picture
    | to see how they all fit together into one perfect machine.
    |
    | > I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.
    | >
    | > http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
    | >

    | He he, i did that too in my page address posting a while back.
    |
    | I guess, contrary to opinion, we are all human.

    Yeah. The link in my .sig leads there, but certain folks in here might not have the mental aptitude
    to figure that out :)

    | May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still
    | link to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.
    |
    | IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.

    Actually, those are thumbnails. They are 160x120 pixel versions of the shot which link to 640x480
    full size shots. I'm on a 56k dial-up modem, so it doesn't load too slowly. The big "group shot"
    takes the longest to load. I'm still experimenting with the software. I first tried using Microsoft
    PictureIt to shrink down the pix, but the "averaging" subroutine only made the images fuzzy, like
    they were out of focus. I then tried the software that came with the Fuji camera and it shrinks them
    better, I just didn't want them any smaller, making them presentable on the main page without
    necessarily linking to the big ones. Believe me, if it was loading the full size pix and shrinking
    them with HTML, it'd take 10 minutes or so to load.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

> [...]
    > |
    > | IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
    >
    > Actually, those are thumbnails. They are 160x120 pixel versions of the shot which link to 640x480
    > full size shots. I'm on a 56k dial-up modem, so it doesn't load too slowly. The big "group shot"
    > takes the longest to load. I'm still experimenting with the software. I first tried using
    > Microsoft PictureIt to shrink down the pix, but the "averaging" subroutine only made the images
    > fuzzy, like they were out of focus. I then tried the software that came with the Fuji camera and
    > it shrinks them better, I just didn't want them any smaller, making them presentable on the main
    > page without necessarily linking to the big ones. Believe me, if it was loading the full size pix
    > and shrinking them with HTML, it'd take 10 minutes or so to load.

    Yes, your right. i just re-checked the source. must have simply been the images all loading at once
    that gave me the impression.
    --
    ~Travis

  6. Technician wrote:
    > [email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.

    TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
    to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!

    Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
    Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>

    > May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still
    > link to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.

    I realy must concurr with Travis on this one. When I do finally get a real web-page for my bikes
    this is how I plan to do it. just a low-res thumbnail active link to a bigger, hi-res picture (or
    dedicated page ;-)

    > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.

    I found it buggy as hell.

    I got the L-View demo and was impressed enough to buy the program. (Which is VERY rare for me ;-)

  7. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    > Technician wrote:
    >> [email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.
    >
    > TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
    > to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!
    >
    > Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
    > Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>

    how about a good thump on the head instead....

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > [email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.
    >
    > TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
    > to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!

    Hmm, old habits die hard. if it is hard for me to kick that habit, good thing i never took
    up smoking.

    > Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
    > Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>

    And before you go, maybe i could interest you in a ride ;-)

    > > May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still
    > > link to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.
    >
    > I realy must concurr with Travis on this one. When I do finally get a real web-page for my bikes
    > this is how I plan to do it. just a low-res thumbnail active link to a bigger, hi-res picture (or
    > dedicated page ;-)

    Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps each
    bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).

    > > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
    >
    > I found it buggy as hell.

    Really, i have not had any problems with it. but then, i only use it for scaling and cropping (kind
    of a waste to wait for Photoshop to load for such a simple task).

    I know the old version had several bugs, the newer version seems to be fairly stable.
    --
    ~Travis

  9. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote

    > > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
    >
    > I found it buggy as hell.

    Really? I've been using it for years, and have had no problems.

    For general viewing, IrfanView. For editing, PaintShop Pro

    Pete

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    > > > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if
    you
    > > > need one.
    > >
    > > I found it buggy as hell.
    >
    > Really? I've been using it for years, and have had no problems.
    >
    > For general viewing, IrfanView. For editing, PaintShop Pro
    >
    > Pete

    It has also served me well, but PaintShop Pro is my favorite! A must-have for the web designer if
    Photoshop seems to expensive).

    Matt

  11. Penny S. wrote:
    > ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
    >
    >>Technician wrote:
    >>
    >>>[email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.
    >>
    >>TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
    >>to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!
    >>
    >>Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
    >>Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>
    >>

    > how about a good thump on the head instead....

    Naah, I'll just make him climb Lynx trail on my SS

  12. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Technician" sez

    | Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps each
    | bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).

    Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for the Big Sur and the Rockhopper
    active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page. Everything else just links to a
    larger version of the pic.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  13. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Technician" sez
    >
    > | Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps each
    > | bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).
    >
    > Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for the Big Sur and the
    > Rockhopper active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page. Everything else just
    > links to a larger version of the pic.

    See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  14. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    The Coca Cola classic cruiser is the ticket for me...

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me
    his,
    > basically so I could learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So,
    > in a frenzy of tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my
    > stable (including
    my
    > wife's this time!)
    >
    > Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
    > $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex)
    but
    > I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this sport building and
    maintaining
    > my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!" then I'd likely own just a
    > couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not
    what
    > I'm about.
    >
    > I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 5/6/2003

  15. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | The Coca Cola classic cruiser is the ticket for me...
    |
    | --
    | - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    Yeah, that thing is a blast. I built it as a 21 speed since Charlotte is kinda hilly. It's more
    comfortable to me than any "Comfort Bike"

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/12/2003

  16. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    > > "Technician" sez
    > >
    > > | Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps
    > > | each bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).
    > >
    > > Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for
    the
    > > Big Sur and the Rockhopper active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page.
    > > Everything else just links to a larger version of
    the
    > > pic.
    > >

    > See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
    > --
    > ~Travis
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    and fools seldom differ....

    Jon Bond sorry Nelson, no offense ;)

  17. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    | > > "Technician" sez

    | > > Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for
    | the
    | > > Big Sur and the Rockhopper active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page.
    | > > Everything else just links to a larger version of
    | the
    | > > pic.
    | > >

    | > See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
    | > --
    | > ~Travis
    | >
    | > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    |
    | and fools seldom differ....
    |
    | Jon Bond sorry Nelson, no offense ;)

    Heh. Actually, I'm watching Travis go through a learning process I did some 15 years ago. I too had
    to be convinced that a Murray MTB couldn't be made into a "real" MTB with fancy components (400LX.)
    My '89 MB-5 was the same enlightenment as he's about to have with the GT.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/12/2003

  18. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | news:MPG[email protected]...
    > | > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    Pete

    > | the
    > | the
    > | > >

    > | > See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
    > | > --
    > | > ~Travis
    > | >
    > | > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
    > |
    > | and fools seldom differ....
    > |
    > | Jon Bond sorry Nelson, no offense ;)
    >
    > Heh. Actually, I'm watching Travis go through a learning process I did
    some
    > 15 years ago. I too had to be convinced that a Murray MTB couldn't be
    made
    > into a "real" MTB with fancy components (400LX.) My '89 MB-5 was the same enlightenment as he's
    > about to have with the GT.

    That's why I finally got the new frame. The hardtail is nice, but I mean, there's only so much you
    can get out of straight gauge aluminum. the ride isn't "tweaked" by any means, its just decently
    stable, and kinda hard to turn sharply ;) Man, I can't wait until I get this frame built
    up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    But yeah, nice stable you got there. In the past two months, I've gone from one hardtail mountain
    bike to one 90% complete road bike (still need to run cables and add griptape and tune everything
    up), one hardtail mountain bike, and one parts-scattered-all-over-New-England Fully. Nothing like
    your stable though... that's a lotta bikes! Very cool picture at the top there.

    Jon Bond

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  20. Alexn

    Alexn Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote

    > you
    > > >
    > > > I found it buggy as hell.
    > >
    > > Really? I've been using it for years, and have had no problems.
    > >
    > > For general viewing, IrfanView. For editing, PaintShop Pro
    > >
    > > Pete
    > >

    > It has also served me well, but PaintShop Pro is my favorite! A must-have for the web designer if
    > Photoshop seems to expensive).
    >
    > Matt

    PaintShop Pro is nice, pretty cheap. But then again the cheap computer geek in me likes Gimp.

    Alex