Revised Page & New Pix (Again!)

Nelson Binch

Guest
Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me his, basically so I could
learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So, in a frenzy of
tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my stable (including my
wife's this time!)

Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
$1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex) but I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this
sport building and maintaining my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!"
then I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not what I'm about.

I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003

Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me his, basically so I could
learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So, in a frenzy of
tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my stable (including my
wife's this time!)

Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
$1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex) but I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this
sport building and maintaining my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!"
then I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not what I'm about.

I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.

http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003

> Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me his, basically so I could
> learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So, in a frenzy of
> tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my stable (including my
> wife's this time!)
>
> Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
> $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex) but I get a large portion of my enjoyment in
> this sport building and maintaining my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about
> the "RIDE!" then I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not what
> I'm about.

So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it. I too enjoy working on bikes, and building them
(now that i have had the chance). the pride in building a bike is similar to an artist creating a
sculpture. in order to show of the fine job you have done, it is necessary to allow others to see
it, either in person, or via photographs. A lot of hotrod makers will list the specs of their
creation. why? so others can marvel over their selection of components, and then check the picture
to see how they all fit together into one perfect machine.

> I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.
>
> http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html

He he, i did that too in my page address posting a while back.

I guess, contrary to opinion, we are all human.

May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still link
to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.

IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
--
~Travis

| In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
| > Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me
his,
| > basically so I could learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.)
| > So, in a frenzy of tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my
| > stable (including
my
| > wife's this time!)
| >
| > Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
| > $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex)
but
| > I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this sport building and
maintaining
| > my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!"
then
| > I'd likely own just a couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not
what
| > I'm about.
| >

| So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it. I too enjoy working on bikes, and building them
| (now that i have had the chance). the pride in building a bike is similar to an artist creating a
| sculpture. in order to show of the fine job you have done, it is necessary to allow others to see
| it, either in person, or via photographs. A lot of hotrod makers will list the specs of their
| creation. why? so others can marvel over their selection of components, and then check the picture
| to see how they all fit together into one perfect machine.
|
| > I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.
| >
| > http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
| >

| He he, i did that too in my page address posting a while back.
|
| I guess, contrary to opinion, we are all human.

Yeah. The link in my .sig leads there, but certain folks in here might not have the mental aptitude
to figure that out :)

| May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still
| link to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.
|
| IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.

Actually, those are thumbnails. They are 160x120 pixel versions of the shot which link to 640x480
full size shots. I'm on a 56k dial-up modem, so it doesn't load too slowly. The big "group shot"
takes the longest to load. I'm still experimenting with the software. I first tried using Microsoft
PictureIt to shrink down the pix, but the "averaging" subroutine only made the images fuzzy, like
they were out of focus. I then tried the software that came with the Fuji camera and it shrinks them
better, I just didn't want them any smaller, making them presentable on the main page without
necessarily linking to the big ones. Believe me, if it was loading the full size pix and shrinking
them with HTML, it'd take 10 minutes or so to load.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003

> [...]
> |
> | IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
>
> Actually, those are thumbnails. They are 160x120 pixel versions of the shot which link to 640x480
> full size shots. I'm on a 56k dial-up modem, so it doesn't load too slowly. The big "group shot"
> takes the longest to load. I'm still experimenting with the software. I first tried using
> Microsoft PictureIt to shrink down the pix, but the "averaging" subroutine only made the images
> fuzzy, like they were out of focus. I then tried the software that came with the Fuji camera and
> it shrinks them better, I just didn't want them any smaller, making them presentable on the main
> page without necessarily linking to the big ones. Believe me, if it was loading the full size pix
> and shrinking them with HTML, it'd take 10 minutes or so to load.

Yes, your right. i just re-checked the source. must have simply been the images all loading at once
that gave me the impression.
--
~Travis

Technician wrote:
> [email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.

TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!

Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>

> May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still
> link to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.

I realy must concurr with Travis on this one. When I do finally get a real web-page for my bikes
this is how I plan to do it. just a low-res thumbnail active link to a bigger, hi-res picture (or
dedicated page ;-)

> IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.

I found it buggy as hell.

I got the L-View demo and was impressed enough to buy the program. (Which is VERY rare for me ;-)

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
> Technician wrote:
>> [email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.
>
> TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
> to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!
>
> Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
> Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>

how about a good thump on the head instead....

> Technician wrote:
> > [email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.
>
> TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
> to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!

Hmm, old habits die hard. if it is hard for me to kick that habit, good thing i never took
up smoking.

> Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
> Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>

And before you go, maybe i could interest you in a ride ;-)

> > May i suggest thumbnails rather than high-res pics scaled down with HTML? of course they still
> > link to the full size. just loads a little quicker for us dial-up users.
>
> I realy must concurr with Travis on this one. When I do finally get a real web-page for my bikes
> this is how I plan to do it. just a low-res thumbnail active link to a bigger, hi-res picture (or
> dedicated page ;-)

Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps each
bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).

> > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
>
> I found it buggy as hell.

Really, i have not had any problems with it. but then, i only use it for scaling and cropping (kind
of a waste to wait for Photoshop to load for such a simple task).

I know the old version had several bugs, the newer version seems to be fairly stable.
--
~Travis

"ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote

> > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if you need one.
>
> I found it buggy as hell.

Really? I've been using it for years, and have had no problems.

For general viewing, IrfanView. For editing, PaintShop Pro

Pete

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote
>

> > > IrfanView is a good free program for scaling and cropping images if
you
> > > need one.
> >
> > I found it buggy as hell.
>
> Really? I've been using it for years, and have had no problems.
>
> For general viewing, IrfanView. For editing, PaintShop Pro
>
> Pete

It has also served me well, but PaintShop Pro is my favorite! A must-have for the web designer if
Photoshop seems to expensive).

Matt

Penny S. wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>
>>Technician wrote:
>>
>>>[email protected] says... So simple, and yet Pete F. cannot comprehend it.
>>
>>TRAVIS, let it go and STOP FSCKING TROLLING..... Stop being a dink or I will personally drive over
>>to Farmington, ME and repossess my frame!
>>
>>Remember I know here you live _and_ I know the serial # of that frame. Peeling the Hooksett, NH
>>Police sticker off of it will not help you! <insert smiley here>
>>

> how about a good thump on the head instead....

Naah, I'll just make him climb Lynx trail on my SS

"Technician" sez

| Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps each
| bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).

Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for the Big Sur and the Rockhopper
active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page. Everything else just links to a
larger version of the pic.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003

> "Technician" sez
>
> | Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps each
> | bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).
>
> Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for the Big Sur and the
> Rockhopper active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page. Everything else just
> links to a larger version of the pic.

See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
--
~Travis

The Coca Cola classic cruiser is the ticket for me...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Finally, I got to borrow a "real" digital camera. My father loaned me
his,
> basically so I could learn to use it and then show him how (after I unscramble his computer.) So,
> in a frenzy of tinkering with it this morning, I took all new pictures of all 12 bikes in my
> stable (including
my
> wife's this time!)
>
> Yes, I know none of them are wonder rigs. The most expensive one in the bunch would take about
> $1500-$2000 to duplicate all at once (the Cadex)
but
> I get a large portion of my enjoyment in this sport building and
maintaining
> my bikes, not just riding them. If it was **only** about the "RIDE!" then I'd likely own just a
> couple bikes (a MTB and a Roadie) but that's not
what
> I'm about.
>
> I also included the first "group" shot of my bikes in years.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 5/6/2003

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| The Coca Cola classic cruiser is the ticket for me...
|
| --
| - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Yeah, that thing is a blast. I built it as a 21 speed since Charlotte is kinda hilly. It's more
comfortable to me than any "Comfort Bike"

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/12/2003

> > "Technician" sez
> >
> > | Hey, now that's a thought Nelson. you had a "laundry list" (as Pete called it), and perhaps
> > | each bike could have a dedicated page with a component list (hey, to some people, it counts).
> >
> > Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for
the
> > Big Sur and the Rockhopper active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page.
> > Everything else just links to a larger version of
the
> > pic.
> >

> See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
> --
> ~Travis
>
> travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

and fools seldom differ....

Jon Bond sorry Nelson, no offense ;)

"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]...
| > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
| > > "Technician" sez

| > > Actually I'm already doing that, a bit at a time. I've got links for
| the
| > > Big Sur and the Rockhopper active and I'll switch the others over as I finish up the page.
| > > Everything else just links to a larger version of
| the
| > > pic.
| > >

| > See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
| > --
| > ~Travis
| >
| > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
|
| and fools seldom differ....
|
| Jon Bond sorry Nelson, no offense ;)

Heh. Actually, I'm watching Travis go through a learning process I did some 15 years ago. I too had
to be convinced that a Murray MTB couldn't be made into a "real" MTB with fancy components (400LX.)
My '89 MB-5 was the same enlightenment as he's about to have with the GT.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/12/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> |
> | "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | news:[email protected]...
> | > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

Pete

> | the
> | the
> | > >

> | > See, the 3 of us prove that great minds really do think alike ;-)
> | > --
> | > ~Travis
> | >
> | > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
> |
> | and fools seldom differ....
> |
> | Jon Bond sorry Nelson, no offense ;)
>
> Heh. Actually, I'm watching Travis go through a learning process I did
some
> 15 years ago. I too had to be convinced that a Murray MTB couldn't be
made
> into a "real" MTB with fancy components (400LX.) My '89 MB-5 was the same enlightenment as he's
> about to have with the GT.

That's why I finally got the new frame. The hardtail is nice, but I mean, there's only so much you
can get out of straight gauge aluminum. the ride isn't "tweaked" by any means, its just decently
stable, and kinda hard to turn sharply ;) Man, I can't wait until I get this frame built
up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah, nice stable you got there. In the past two months, I've gone from one hardtail mountain
bike to one 90% complete road bike (still need to run cables and add griptape and tune everything
up), one hardtail mountain bike, and one parts-scattered-all-over-New-England Fully. Nothing like
your stable though... that's a lotta bikes! Very cool picture at the top there.

Jon Bond

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote

> you
> > >
> > > I found it buggy as hell.
> >
> > Really? I've been using it for years, and have had no problems.
> >
> > For general viewing, IrfanView. For editing, PaintShop Pro
> >
> > Pete
> >

> It has also served me well, but PaintShop Pro is my favorite! A must-have for the web designer if
> Photoshop seems to expensive).
>
> Matt

PaintShop Pro is nice, pretty cheap. But then again the cheap computer geek in me likes Gimp.

Alex