Reynolds 555 tubing ?

still me

Guest
What is this stuff? OEM labeled 531 ? Something else ?

Whooops - I meant "Raleigh 555", not "Reynolds 555" - but the question
still stands as to what it is

Thanks

In article <[email protected]>,
still me <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is this stuff? OEM labeled 531 ? Something else ?

Raleigh 555 as your correction notes. It's not Reynolds tubing, you'll
find that sticker on the Japanese-made Raleighs of the 1980s. It was
probably Ishiwata or Tange, most likely the maker's name is stamped on
the steerer tube. ISTR reading that Panasonic built these frames for
Raleigh.

still me wrote:
> Whooops - I meant "Raleigh 555", not "Reynolds 555" - but the question
> still stands as to what it is

During the Huffy years, Raleigh used Asian seamed CrMo tube on some
Taiwan-built models with that label.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> still me <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > What is this stuff? OEM labeled 531 ? Something else ?

> Raleigh 555 as your correction notes. It's not Reynolds tubing, you'll
> find that sticker on the Japanese-made Raleighs of the 1980s. It was
> probably Ishiwata or Tange, most likely the maker's name is stamped on
> the steerer tube. ISTR reading that Panasonic built these frames for
> Raleigh.

I read somewhere that Reynolds had licensed the manufacture of 531 to an
Asian tubing supplier for a short period of time and that was called 555,
666 or something similar.

It seemed like a reliable report IIRC but they didn't cite their
source.....

Here's a link with some partial bum scoop:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-77636.html

From Sheldon's site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/models.html

Chas.