Reynolds 631 or alu7005

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by carted00, Oct 10, 2004.

1. carted00

carted00 New Member

I've got the chance of buying a bike for training and club10 mile TTs with either the above for the same price because the 631 frame is a discontinued model.

I understand that there are differences/preferences for and against steel or alu frames.

What I'd like to understand is if the 631 frame is much of a bargain. It's essentially £140 for either option but;

a) I don't know what a 631 frame costs new
    b) What would a 631 frame generally weigh.

I currently have a 853MM and it's the dogs gonads and is as stiff as a stiff thing.

This new bike would be to replace an ageing 753 frame with old, old Shimano 600 components.

It's also worth noting that this 631/7005alu frame will be ridden in all weathers and won't possibly get the tender loving care I give to my 853MM.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Tags:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack New Member

Are you big and heavy?

What brands are the frames, and what brand is the 7005 tubing?

Have you ridden aluminium before?

If you find 853 stiff, I'm sure you'll find the 7005 stiffer, although it obviously depends greatly on the fork.

That price for the 631 sounds like an absolute bargain to me, especially if it's new, and even more so if it's a brand name.

The weight difference is hard to judge, and it obviously depends on the size. 7005 can range from (these are only educated guesses) 1450g (no fork) to 1700g if it has very large tubes, but most likely around the low 1500s. A lugged 631 frame is likely to be around the low 1800s, but could be as high as the high 1900s.

I must say it's nice to have an alu frame you can ridei n the rain and not have to worry about cleaning all that much, but if you'll be doing rides longer than 2 hours, alu can be a bit of a grind.
    :)
    check out Weight Weenies for a better idea on weights:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadframes

Not all the frame materials are mentioned, and the weights are without fork.

3. carted00

carted00 New Member

Both frames are made for a UK bike shop. Their bikes have been used by the GB teams so although what I'm looking at is the low end of their range they have some pedigree.

My 853 was made by one of the best frame builders in the world who made frames for a number of pro teams. The tubing has a teardrop shaped down tube and oversized chain stays si is very stiff.

I weigh about 14.5 stone at the moment but am coming back from a long enforced layoff. I'll get down to 12ish.

The 7005 weighs 1650g, the 631 is lugless. I will be fitting carbon forks to the frame.

Darren

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I weigh about 14 stone, and I've managed to crack 2 alu frames that lasted about 2 years each, with pretty hard riding.

The 7005 sounds a bit heavy to me. I have a 58cm 7003 that is about 1500g
    The lugless 631 could even be under 1800g. I have a Columbus Genius frame that weighs 1670g, and a Columbus steel Cervelo that weighs 1690g, so, you never know.

I know weight is not everything, but I don't think I'd buy an alu frame that was that heavy -- there's no point -- one of the benefits of alu is supposed to be the light weight. You can have a stell frame of similar weight that will last at least twice as long. I also have an old alu Giant that weighs 1386g!! (size L)