Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Reynolds Alta Race wheelset

Started by cycledogg · · Last activity · 4 posts · 521 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 July 2006
Last activity
31 July 2006
Original author
cycledogg
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
521
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    I have been considering to buy a set of these wheels. A friend of mine
    claims that they are the "lemons" of the Reynolds line of wheelsets.
    They are cheap and no better than what I currently have (2000 Mavic OP
    CD w/ Ultegra hub). Any good comments on these wheels?
    Cheers
    Rick in Tennessee

  2. cycledogg said:

    Hello,
    I have been considering to buy a set of these wheels. A friend of mine
    claims that they are the "lemons" of the Reynolds line of wheelsets.
    They are cheap and no better than what I currently have (2000 Mavic OP
    CD w/ Ultegra hub). Any good comments on these wheels?

    That present wheelset is pretty damn good. Don't let the fact that it is common
    mislead you into thinking it is mediocre. If you're going to replace them with a
    manufactured wheelset you'll have to get a pretty damn good one to better the
    combination of reliability and light weight you've got now.

    It won't be the bottom of anyone's line.

    Ron

  3. "cycledogg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,
    I have been considering to buy a set of these wheels. A friend of mine
    claims that they are the "lemons" of the Reynolds line of wheelsets.
    They are cheap and no better than what I currently have (2000 Mavic OP
    CD w/ Ultegra hub). Any good comments on these wheels?
    Cheers
    Rick in Tennessee

    The Alta's are selling on Ebay for $160 a pair. Cheap, but what you
    currently have are very fine wheels indeed. The Ultegra hubs will certainly
    be better than any of those found on a pre-packaged wheelset, except if
    those wheels come with Dura-Ace or Record hubs.

  4. Dave,
    There is a difference between the Alta and the Alta Race. Rick was
    asking about the Alta Race. I bought a pair brand new on Ebay for $340.
    I think the list is $599. They are very light and fast. I have done
    half a dozen mountain rides in Colorado so far and they are proving to
    be very nice and stiff. I think it's a good deal. The rear hub is not
    super quiet, but I like that people can here me coming while I pass
    them on the downhill 🙂

    Mike

    Dave Mayer said:

    "cycledogg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,
    I have been considering to buy a set of these wheels. A friend of mine
    claims that they are the "lemons" of the Reynolds line of wheelsets.
    They are cheap and no better than what I currently have (2000 Mavic OP
    CD w/ Ultegra hub). Any good comments on these wheels?
    Cheers
    Rick in Tennessee

    The Alta's are selling on Ebay for $160 a pair. Cheap, but what you
    currently have are very fine wheels indeed. The Ultegra hubs will certainly
    be better than any of those found on a pre-packaged wheelset, except if
    those wheels come with Dura-Ace or Record hubs.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.