reynolds fork opinions

Mark A. Clark

Guest
Looking to replace the fork on a 1997 Klein Quantum Race
with a Reynolds. If I go with the Ouzo Comp version rather
than Pro am I missing out on anything other than the extra
weight of the alloy steerer? Besides the more affordable
price I think I would be more comfortable with an alloy
steerer anyway. Any thing else I should consider? Thanks.

Mark

"Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looking to replace the fork on a 1997 Klein Quantum Race
> with a Reynolds. If I go with the Ouzo Comp version rather
> than Pro am I missing out on anything other than the extra
> weight of the alloy steerer? Besides the more affordable
> price I think I would be more comfortable with an alloy
> steerer anyway. Any thing else I should consider? Thanks.
>
> Mark

You should also consider what fork rake you need. The
Reynolds website suggests the Ouzo Comp comes only in 43mm
rake while the Pro comes in 40, 43, 45 and 50mm.

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark A. Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
>Looking to replace the fork on a 1997 Klein Quantum Race
>with a Reynolds. If I go with the Ouzo Comp version rather
>than Pro am I missing out on anything other than the extra
>weight of the alloy steerer? Besides the more affordable
>price I think I would be more comfortable with an alloy
>steerer anyway. Any thing else I should consider? Thanks.

You should find out what the rake of your existing Quantum
fork is. I recall Klein has used some pretty short fork
rakes combined with fairly steep head angles. Many after-
market forks will not offer rake as short as the original
Klein forks and would alter the handling of the bike.

In addition to the steer tube difference, the Ouzo Comp uses
an aluminum fork crown, only the legs are carbon.

--Paul

"Mark A. Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looking to replace the fork on a 1997 Klein Quantum Race
> with a Reynolds. If I go with the Ouzo Comp version rather
> than Pro am I missing out on anything other than the extra
> weight of the alloy steerer? Besides the more affordable
> price I think I would be more comfortable with an alloy
> steerer anyway. Any thing else I should consider? Thanks.
>
> Mark

Unless you're built like a linebacker, you probably
won't notice the difference between alloy and carbon
steerers. Yes, your bike will weigh a bit less with the
carbon steerer.

There have been fewer and fewer carbon fork failures over
the years. If you DO need a Pro for the rake, I wouldn't
worry about it.

Mike