Reynolds MZM magesium tubing

Jim Adney wrote:
>>"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>magnesium: a curious duck!
>>>it corrodes, doesn't paint well, hard to work with, not as 'strong' as
>>>Aluminum,
>>>heavier than Aluminum,

> This is backwards. Magnesium is less dense than aluminum.
>
> BTW, one of the most common ways of "mining" magnesium is to separate
> it from sea water.

You can pick up manganese nodules from the sea-floor too.

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:07:33 +1300 Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jim Adney wrote:

>> BTW, one of the most common ways of "mining" magnesium is to separate
>> it from sea water.

>You can pick up manganese nodules from the sea-floor too.

True, but that's a completely different element.

-
Jim Adney [email protected]
Madison, WI 53711 USA

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:07:44 GMT, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:36:24 -0400, Dave Stallard
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Pardon my naive question, but doesn't magnesium burn?

>> Yes. So does iron, under the right conditions, but magnesium in
>> nearly any physical dimension can be ignited and sustain combustion in
>> normal atmosphere. It is, hoever, extraordinarily unlikely that a
>> bike frame made of magnesium would get ignited in anything that would
>> be considered normal, or even highly unusual but plausible, use.

> While it's true that mag will burn as you describe, I think that pieces
>of any substantial size aren't that easy to get ignited. Much more likely
>to ignite when it's in a powdery form, or small shavings, like from a lathe
>or end mill cut. A few years ago, a guy in a machine shop in the Redwood
>City (Calif.) area was making a fine cut on a mag part he was doing - only
>problem was that he decided to do it with the coolant off. Oops. He
>basically burned his boss's CNC lathe to the ground. Having a class D
>extinguisher handy is a good idea.

I visited a mag-al die-caster here recently. I'm sure that many
people don't realize that their "plastic" mobile phone is really
magnesium alloy, as well as many of the notebook computer frames.
Anyway, the die-casters's fire-suppression system is world class.
They have grinding people sitting in atmospheric-controlled rooms
wearing goggles and respirators, while the chips from grinding are
sucked into a manifold system which carries it safely to a baghouse.
They told me that if dust is allows to accumulate, the entire building
could explode like a bomb.

Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

On 25 Oct 2004 13:04:21 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Randall-<< I noticed recently that Reynolds is now producing a MZM magnesium
>tubing. Has anyone had any experience or technical knowledge of
>magnesium frames....??? >><BR><BR>
>
>Local guy here is importing 'Paketa' magnesium welded frames and in spite of
>the marketing hype about the ability to 'absorb' vibration, it sure seems like
>an expensive aluminum frameset, altho with magnesium tubes.
>
>These made in Russia BTW.
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria
>1833 Pearl St.
>Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535
>http://www.vecchios.com
>"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Russia is known for some excellent AL allows. Some of the stuff we
cast in Taiwan comes from Russian ingot.

Michael J. Klein [email protected]
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:08:01 +0200, Lou Holtman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave Stallard wrote:
>> Randall Shimizu wrote:
>>
>>> Reynolds MZM magesium tubing
>>> (https://vault2.secured-url.com/reynolds/magnesium.html)
>>>
>>> I noticed recently that Reynolds is now producing a MZM magnesium
>>> tubing. Has anyone had any experience or technical knowledge of
>>> magnesium frames....???

>> Pardon my naive question, but doesn't magnesium burn?
>>
>> Dave

>Yes, but aluminium and carbon burn too.

Not only Lou. Steel wool burns very well.

[email protected] (g.daniels) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> magnesium: a curious duck!
> it corrodes, doesn't paint well, hard to work with, not as 'strong' as
> Aluminum,
> heavier than Aluminum, uh.... burns lika expletive deleted! good for
> touring greenland.
> now IF! yawl happen to own a mag mine then...

Well it is 30% lighter than aluminum, burns only in powder form,
easier to work with than titanium, half the price of titanium and
absorbs roughly 3 times as much vibration (in frequency ranges that
count) than ti, Aluminum or cromoly.
One could subjectivly claim the ride feel is not good or not like it,
but these points are factual and not subject to opinion. Magnesium
leads the world in misinformation. I read opinions too often to not
post once in a while. Density is something we learn in highschool, Mag
is 2/3 the weight alumuminum for a given volume. Almost 1/5th steel,
2/5ths titanium in weight per volume.

It corrodes like steel does, like steel when it is protected it lasts
well and performs well. Nothing paints well when you don't follow
instructions. Mag can not be painted like aluminum, like wood or like
plastic. It is not aluminum, wood, or plastic. Apples and oranges.

Regards
JD