Reynolds Ouzo Pro installation guide online?

Scott Gordo

Guest
I've picked up a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork with a 1" carbon steerer.
There's already a wedge inside the steerer (as opposed to a star nut),
and I'm not planning on cutting it as it fits well in my frame. I don't
have a manual for installation. Because I haven't dealt with carbon
steerers before, I don't want to get the torque wrong.

Couldn't find a manual at http://www.reynoldscomposites.com or
http://www.reynoldsusa.com. Anyone know where I could find it?

If not, can anybody provide torque settings for the top cap and stem,
and any warnings on what to do and not do with a carbon steerer?

TIA,

Scott

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I've picked up a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork with a 1" carbon steerer.
> There's already a wedge inside the steerer (as opposed to a star nut),
> and I'm not planning on cutting it as it fits well in my frame. I don't
> have a manual for installation. Because I haven't dealt with carbon
> steerers before, I don't want to get the torque wrong.
>
> Couldn't find a manual at http://www.reynoldscomposites.com or
> http://www.reynoldsusa.com. Anyone know where I could find it?
>
> If not, can anybody provide torque settings for the top cap and stem,
> and any warnings on what to do and not do with a carbon steerer?
>
> TIA,
>
> Scott

I got that fork with my Calfee frame and they put their logo on it, but
didn't give me an installation manual, but I haven't had a problem with
tweaking it. I should probably just call Calfee because they're about
the most helpful people I've ever dealt with, much like Maverick. Just
barely tighten the play out on the compression nut and then clamp down
the stem to it's specs, or read the online King docs and use those
guidelines. I got Calfee's barstem and no specs or manual with that
either so just use standard carbon steerer torques, around 6 NM. I've
gotten to the point where I wing it by hand now, and don't overdo it, so
one of these days it will come loose and I'll go off the cliff, hence my
interest in your thread.

Check the FAQ at renoldscycling.com at the "maintenence" link. There's
a section in the FAQ on their forks, but pretty sparse, and a reference
to the fork installation manual, which isn't to be found. Surprisingly,
they seem to have online maintenence manuals for all their products but
their forks. I just figured out that reynoldscomposites.com is the same
as reynoldscycling.com. But I did stumble into
reynoldscycling.com/documents.

And let us know what you learn if it's elsewhere.

Bill Westphal

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I've picked up a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork with a 1" carbon steerer.
> There's already a wedge inside the steerer (as opposed to a star nut),
> and I'm not planning on cutting it as it fits well in my frame. I don't
> have a manual for installation. Because I haven't dealt with carbon
> steerers before, I don't want to get the torque wrong.
>
> Couldn't find a manual at http://www.reynoldscomposites.com or
> http://www.reynoldsusa.com. Anyone know where I could find it?
>
> If not, can anybody provide torque settings for the top cap and stem,
> and any warnings on what to do and not do with a carbon steerer?
>
> TIA,
>
> Scott

No torque for the top cap as all it does is adjust/load your headset.
5NM for the stem bolts.
Also max number of spacers under the stem for this fork steerer is 1
inch(25mm).

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > I've picked up a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork with a 1" carbon steerer.
> > There's already a wedge inside the steerer (as opposed to a star nut),
> > and I'm not planning on cutting it as it fits well in my frame. I don't
> > have a manual for installation. Because I haven't dealt with carbon
> > steerers before, I don't want to get the torque wrong.
> >
> > Couldn't find a manual at http://www.reynoldscomposites.com or
> > http://www.reynoldsusa.com. Anyone know where I could find it?
> >
> > If not, can anybody provide torque settings for the top cap and stem,
> > and any warnings on what to do and not do with a carbon steerer?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Scott

> No torque for the top cap as all it does is adjust/load your headset.
> 5NM for the stem bolts.
> Also max number of spacers under the stem for this fork steerer is 1
> inch(25mm).

Thanks, gentlemen. BTW: saw that handy little Ritchey 5NM torque wrench
gizmo from another post of yours. Is 5NM consistent when installing
other carbon parts, like seat posts, stems, etc?

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Scott Gordo wrote:
> > > I've picked up a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork with a 1" carbon steerer.
> > > There's already a wedge inside the steerer (as opposed to a star nut),
> > > and I'm not planning on cutting it as it fits well in my frame. I don't
> > > have a manual for installation. Because I haven't dealt with carbon
> > > steerers before, I don't want to get the torque wrong.
> > >
> > > Couldn't find a manual at http://www.reynoldscomposites.com or
> > > http://www.reynoldsusa.com. Anyone know where I could find it?
> > >
> > > If not, can anybody provide torque settings for the top cap and stem,
> > > and any warnings on what to do and not do with a carbon steerer?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Scott

> > No torque for the top cap as all it does is adjust/load your headset.
> > 5NM for the stem bolts.
> > Also max number of spacers under the stem for this fork steerer is 1
> > inch(25mm).

> Thanks, gentlemen. BTW: saw that handy little Ritchey 5NM torque wrench
> gizmo from another post of yours. Is 5NM consistent when installing
> other carbon parts, like seat posts, stems, etc?
>
> /s

yessir-good all around torque for squeazing carbon stuff

Max 25 mm spacers, be sure to use the Reynolds-supplied brake bolt. I
think the plug uses 75 inch-pounds to hold it in the tube.