Reynolds Shadow 2011 wheelset

ManOnTheMoon

Dec 5, 2011
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to road biking as well. I would like to upgrade my wheelset and came across a really nice pair of Reynolds Shadow 2011 that would be a very nice fit for my bike. According to the specs from CRC, it says

"
The Shadow is designed to deliver solid specs and performance that rival any aluminium wheel, at any price. It features strong, and stiff, lightweight alloy rim with a low spoke count, internal spoke nipples, and a shallow-V profile, so it excels across a variety of conditions. The Shadow is hand-built, and loaded with quality for the long haul. It climbs fast, pulls through on the flats, and stands up to punishment mile after mile. If you’re looking for a value performer that’s way more than a training wheelset, Shadow is it.

Rim Depth: 31mm Spoke Patterns: Radial Front/2x-Radial Rear 20/24 Weight: 1633 g Hubs: Reynolds Front Spokes: DT Competitions Rear Spokes: DT Competitions

The Reynolds Assurance Program (RAP) allows you to ride with the confidence of knowing your wheels are covered by the best protection plan available.
"

But downside is I cannot find any additional review nor any information about it. It's not advertised on Reynolds website as well.

Has anyone tried these wheels? I am looking for something around that price range, USD 340. I know that the budget is very limited but that's all i can afford for now. I am around 92 kg if that helps.

Thanks for reading.

cheers

Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon .

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to road biking as well. I would like to upgrade my wheelset and came across a really nice pair of Reynolds Shadow 2011 that would be a very nice fit for my bike. According to the specs from CRC, it says

"
The Shadow is designed to deliver solid specs and performance that rival any aluminium wheel, at any price. It features strong, and stiff, lightweight alloy rim with a low spoke count, internal spoke nipples, and a shallow-V profile, so it excels across a variety of conditions. The Shadow is hand-built, and loaded with quality for the long haul. It climbs fast, pulls through on the flats, and stands up to punishment mile after mile. If you’re looking for a value performer that’s way more than a training wheelset, Shadow is it.

Rim Depth: 31mm Spoke Patterns: Radial Front/2x-Radial Rear 20/24 Weight: 1633 g Hubs: Reynolds Front Spokes: DT Competitions Rear Spokes: DT Competitions

The Reynolds Assurance Program (RAP) allows you to ride with the confidence of knowing your wheels are covered by the best protection plan available.
"

But downside is I cannot find any additional review nor any information about it. It's not advertised on Reynolds website as well.

Has anyone tried these wheels? I am looking for something around that price range, USD 340. I know that the budget is very limited but that's all i can afford for now. I am around 92 kg if that helps.

Thanks for reading.

cheers
At 92kg, I would skip any lowish profile wheel with 20/24 spokes. I might want to check out Rol wheels. I think they have some with higher spoke counts. I'd suggest you seriously consider a custom wheel set with a low profile rim and high spoke count. Such wheels can be had for about the same or better, and you'll likely end up with a better wheel set by going the custom route.

Thks alienator..

So, i should look into sthing like 24/28 then? The Rol wheels look nice but seem slightly pricey.

i wonder if i can get a custom wheel for about USD 350.

Trouble is it is hard to get something decent with that budget.

Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon .

Thks alienator..

So, i should look into sthing like 24/28 then? The Rol wheels look nice but seem slightly pricey.

i wonder if i can get a custom wheel for about USD 350.

Trouble is it is hard to get something decent with that budget.
If I were you I'd consider at least a 28/32 spoke count for wheels. With 105 hubs, some Mavic or other rims, I think it's possible to get a wheelset for yourself. If I were you I'd contact one of the following:

• Peter Chisholm at Vecchio's in Boulder. He's built as many wheels as most anyone. He's also on this forum and can be pm'd. His screen name is Peter@vecchios .
  • Dave Thomas at Speed Dream wheels. Another guy who's been in the wheel building game a long time: http://speeddream.com/
  • Peter White Cycles. Like the others, Peter White has built a lot of wheels and has done it for a long time. He has some pricing examples on his site, and some of the examples are right in your price range: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/

Your best bet would be to call, if that's possible. Two great things about getting a set of custom built wheels are that you get to talk to the builder about the sort of wheel that fits you, your riding style, and your budget, and you also get service that typically goes beyond what boutique wheel manufacturers offer.

Please note that to get the Reynolds Assurance Program coverage, you have to pay an additional $250. As I mentioned, a custom builder's services and warranty often go beyond what boutique wheel makers offer. I had a custom build set whose rear wheel, after about 1.5 years, started developing cracks at the drive side spoke holes. I contacted the builder, and he said that what I had found was starting to be seen with that rear wheel by others. The wheel builder not only rebuilt the rear wheel with a new rim for free, he also rebuilt the front so that the front and rear rims would match. Again, that was done for free.

thks a lot for all the advice.. I will surely check these out.

It does seem it's better for me to get a custom wheel in the long run

cheers