Reynolds Solitude vs Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
A minor wheel comparison is inducing way more angst than seems necessary...

I'm ordering a new bike from a custom framebuilder & getting the complete Ultegra build kit from him as well. His default wheelset with an Ultegra build are Reynolds Solitudes.

I have never used Reynolds Solitudes, but from every review I can find on line, these wheels absolutely suck.

A few of the reviews I've found compared the Solitudes to Mavic Ksyrium Elites, with the Mavics always coming out on top. Not even close. The basic gists of these comparisons was always essentially "Solitudes suck, Ksyrium Elites are bombproof!"

Here's the thing: I have used Ksyrium Elites. I still have a pair, that I got in 2006. I think Ksyrium Elites suck.

So...are these Solitudes gonna be even more sucky than the sucky Ksyrium Elites I've got? Or are my Ksyrium Elites a fluke, an anomaly, a rare lemon, and so these Solitudes will at worst be as bad as my (possibly unique) sucky Ksyrium Elites and possibly even better?

To put it another way, are Solitudes typical for ~$500 wheelset, or worse-than-typical?

Wouldn't get the Ksyriums, not familar with the Solitudes, but why not just get the wheelset you want? The point of having a custom bike is to get exactly what you want on your new frame, not accepting "defaults" from the builder.

For me, the choice would be either Easton EA90 for a race/performance bike, or a standard 32 spoke wheel with Ultegra hubs for an all-purpose touring and road bike. If you plan to do multi-day tours, or ride in rain or dirty conditions often, a strong rim, Ultegra hubs and standard j-bend spokes look like the way to go to me.

"Jack, I'm going to go off the board for $100." I'd choose neither and would instead have a custom set built to suit my proclivities and desires. The options for custom wheels approaches multitudinosity. The list of hubs from which you can choose is huge: Shimano, Campy (yes, they are Shimano compatible), DT Swiss, White Industries (just like a bad girl should), Chris King, Extralite, PMP (beauteous), Royce (metallic sex)....You get to choose the non-proprietary spoke of your choice and the number (DT Aerolite spokes are every so succulent). Likewise, there's a bevy of rims over which to drool: Velocity, Kinlin, DT Swiss, Mavic (maybe not drool worthy), Ambrosio (defines drool worthy).

I don't think any company offers a wheel (a non-aero wheel, i.e. one that doesn't have a deep rim) offers anything that can better what you can get with custom wheels. I rode Kryrium ES wheels for a little bit (they weren't mine), and they didn't do anything for me. I'm not a fan of hugemongous proprietary aluminum spokes. I'm not a fan of hubs that use a delrin bushing instead of a cartridge bearing, and I'm certainly not into buying a set of wheels with flash graphics. The Reynolds Solitudes do have a dodgy history according to some of its users, and that doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I used to own a set of Reynolds DV46 tubulars, and they were great, but the Solitudes are a completely different and less robust beast. Easton wheels? Like the others, they don't offer anything that outclasses a set of custom wheels. I'd take any of the hubs I mentioned earlier before I'd take an Easton hub.

Bob Ross said:
A minor wheel comparison is inducing way more angst than seems necessary...

I'm ordering a new bike from a custom framebuilder & getting the complete Ultegra build kit from him as well. His default wheelset with an Ultegra build are Reynolds Solitudes.

I have never used Reynolds Solitudes, but from every review I can find on line, these wheels absolutely suck.

A few of the reviews I've found compared the Solitudes to Mavic Ksyrium Elites, with the Mavics always coming out on top. Not even close. The basic gists of these comparisons was always essentially "Solitudes suck, Ksyrium Elites are bombproof!"

Here's the thing: I have used Ksyrium Elites. I still have a pair, that I got in 2006. I think Ksyrium Elites suck.

So...are these Solitudes gonna be even more sucky than the sucky Ksyrium Elites I've got? Or are my Ksyrium Elites a fluke, an anomaly, a rare lemon, and so these Solitudes will at worst be as bad as my (possibly unique) sucky Ksyrium Elites and possibly even better?

To put it another way, are Solitudes typical for ~$500 wheelset, or worse-than-typical?

Frame builders are all about OEM kits they get, at a great price, always with over marketed and poorly performing wheels as part of the package. Ask the builder for hubs only, like 6700 hubs, great hubs, then find a local wheelbuilder to design and build a set for you specifically for you and your needs. Way less than $500..DT, Velocity, Mavic rims, DT spokes..bob's yer uncle.

Peter, my frame builder here didn't push any OEM kits. In fact, he offered a large selection of components and wheelsets at OEM prices; a lot cheaper than I could buy them myself. Hey, maybe that's why he went out of business :)