Reynolds T-bone

Scsolomo

Guest
I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has anyone
had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be top of the
food chain.

Do a google "groups" search in this group for "t-bone". There have been many threads on the topic.

Regards Chris

scsolomo wrote:
> I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
> features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
> wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has anyone
> had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be top of the
> food chain.

I've done a Google search and found most everything posted about the T-bone. One thing I haven't
seen is the overall length of the bike (26/20). Does anyone have that dimension?

Thanks, Chuck Davis

"Chris Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Do a google "groups" search in this group for "t-bone". There have been many threads on the topic.
>
> Regards Chris
>
> scsolomo wrote:
> > I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
> > features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
> > wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has
> > anyone had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be
> > top of the food chain.

Beautiful bike and I agree it is near the top of the food chain for recumbents. The T-Bone is light
fast and rides smoother than the Wishbone it replaces. I like the USS bars on the T-Bone better than
any other steering arangement I have tried. George if great to work with and he must be getting
swamped with work as it appears he has stopped building full bike and only builds frame sets (which
is his speciality), though he still manages to find time to develop and test improvements such as
his splitter. I have tested a couple different Wishbones and T-Bones and if I were in the market for
a new fast bike the T-Bone would be at the top of my list. Craig

[email protected] (scsolomo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
> features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
> wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has anyone
> had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be top of the
> food chain.

I did do a google search, but was hoping for more elaborated details. Sorry about the typo
(Campagnolo).

Also, anyone had any experience with Hyperon vs. Ghibli wheels?

Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Do a google "groups" search in this group for "t-bone". There have been many threads on the topic.
>
> Regards Chris
>
> scsolomo wrote:
> > I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
> > features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
> > wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has
> > anyone had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be
> > top of the food chain.

Below is a reply from Marc Webb. He asked me to post this because he's having trouble posting for
some reason.

Chuck Davis

Hi group, I have had a 26/20 T-Bone for about 5 months now. I built it up with Dura Ace components,
Avid disc brakes, Wheels have Pantour hubs, Velocity Razor rims (front now with 1" travel and
waiting for the new 1" travel rear hub to be released very shortly). My experience is excellent. I
only experienced a few problems.

1) I had to replace the lower seat mounting bolts with slightly longer ones as the ½" ones kept
getting loose as the self locking nuts did not go on the bolt far enough to lock and they kept
getting loose.

2) The offset for the steering pushrod on the handlebar needed more offset as the "steering
sensitivity" was too slow. My offsets are now 2 3/4" at the handlebar and 2 1/8" at the fork.
This gives you a faster steering and the ability to make sharper turns. For example, DF bikes
have a steering ratio of 1:1. When the offset at the handlebar on our remote steering bikes is
greater than the offset at the front fork, the steering ratio is greater than 1:1. Mine is now
1.29:1 where I got the bike with a ratio of 0.76:1. The steering was less responsive and I could
not make sharp turns. A higher ratio makes the bike easier to handle.

3) The drop outs on the front fork had a defective weld. George replaced the fork quickly as he is
excellent with customer service.

4) The only problem in the bike seems to be a slight play in the steering pivot for the handlebar.
Not a big problem as it does not affect the steering precision at all. I think a redesign needs
to be done in that area.

I can sincerely say his products are well designed, the frames are excellent. The alignment, welds,
the finish, service all top notch. The bikes are priced right.

...Marc <-------a happy customer

"scsolomo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
> features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
> wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has anyone
> had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be top of the
> food chain.

thanks for your reply. what other recumbents do you like?

[email protected] (cbb) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Beautiful bike and I agree it is near the top of the food chain for recumbents. The T-Bone is
> light fast and rides smoother than the Wishbone it replaces. I like the USS bars on the T-Bone
> better than any other steering arangement I have tried. George if great to work with and he must
> be getting swamped with work as it appears he has stopped building full bike and only builds frame
> sets (which is his speciality), though he still manages to find time to develop and test
> improvements such as his splitter. I have tested a couple different Wishbones and T-Bones and if I
> were in the market for a new fast bike the T-Bone would be at the top of my list. Craig
>
> [email protected] (scsolomo) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've been wanting to buy a recumbent for about seven years, but never saw one that had all the
> > features I wanted until recently. Money was really no object, but I wanted USS, titanium, and I
> > wanted it to be fast. I went with a Reynolds T-bone with Campagnola Record components. Has
> > anyone had much experience with this bike? I've looked at a lot of bikes, and this seems to be
> > top of the food chain.

[email protected] (scsolomo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> thanks for your reply. what other recumbents do you like?

Since you asked :) I find I like laid back bikes. I bought my Optima Baron just before the T-Bone
became available and I have been very happy with it for a fast bike on the open road. The
Challenge Jester is very similar, maybe a little faster but slightly less friendly on the Road
(lower seat height). Another interesting USS bike that would smooth the bumps out is a Challenge
Huricane with USS, somewhat heavy but still fairly fast and USS with rear suspension. In hilly
areas I would go with a lighter bike like the T-Bone or Aero. In general I am a big fan of
hardshell seats and large reclines.

However I have recently found that as my pratical bike useage (and work hours) have increased I ride
the Baron much less than I did last year (after a recent move). I am now considering selling the
Baron to buy a more pratical bike that I could enjoy every day. I just need to figure out what that
bike/trike is for me.

Craig Optima Baron BikeE for commuting/groceries/around town

Isn't the Optima Baron OSS only?

[email protected] (cbb) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (scsolomo) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > thanks for your reply. what other recumbents do you like?
> >
> Since you asked :) I find I like laid back bikes. I bought my Optima Baron just before the T-Bone
> became available and I have been very happy with it for a fast bike on the open road. The
> Challenge Jester is very similar, maybe a little faster but slightly less friendly on the Road
> (lower seat height). Another interesting USS bike that would smooth the bumps out is a Challenge
> Huricane with USS, somewhat heavy but still fairly fast and USS with rear suspension. In hilly
> areas I would go with a lighter bike like the T-Bone or Aero. In general I am a big fan of
> hardshell seats and large reclines.
>
> However I have recently found that as my pratical bike useage (and work hours) have increased I
> ride the Baron much less than I did last year (after a recent move). I am now considering selling
> the Baron to buy a more pratical bike that I could enjoy every day. I just need to figure out what
> that bike/trike is for me.
>
> Craig Optima Baron BikeE for commuting/groceries/around town

Yep, I said I liked USS not that it was a requirement for me. The T-Bone is probably the fastest
unfaired USS bike available but I think the Baron is probably faster except in steep hills. But as I
said I bought the Baron before T-Bones were available. Craig

[email protected] (scsolomo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Isn't the Optima Baron OSS only?
>

> [email protected] (cbb) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (scsolomo) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > thanks for your reply. what other recumbents do you like?
> > >
> > Since you asked :) I find I like laid back bikes. I bought my Optima Baron just before the
> > T-Bone became available and I have been very happy with it for a fast bike on the open road. The
> > Challenge Jester is very similar, maybe a little faster but slightly less friendly on the Road
> > (lower seat height). Another interesting USS bike that would smooth the bumps out is a Challenge
> > Huricane with USS, somewhat heavy but still fairly fast and USS with rear suspension. In hilly
> > areas I would go with a lighter bike like the T-Bone or Aero. In general I am a big fan of
> > hardshell seats and large reclines.
> >
> > However I have recently found that as my pratical bike useage (and work hours) have increased I
> > ride the Baron much less than I did last year (after a recent move). I am now considering
> > selling the Baron to buy a more pratical bike that I could enjoy every day. I just need to
> > figure out what that bike/trike is for me.
> >
> > Craig Optima Baron BikeE for commuting/groceries/around town

- "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yep, I said I liked USS not that it was a requirement for me. The T-Bone is probably the fastest
> unfaired USS bike available but I think the Baron is probably faster except in steep hills. But as
> I said I bought the Baron before T-Bones were available. Craig

I just bought a Baron and so far haven't missed USS yet although it is good to have on my old
Vision R50