Reynolds Weld Lab 26/20 T-Bone, handlebar pivot

Marc Webb

Guest
Hi group, Does anyone have a Reynolds Weld Lab bike with USS. My handlebar pivot has some play. How
can the play be reduced?

...Marc

e-mail: [email protected] AIM: kb1d

I have a Dual 26 RT Wishbone but it's still the same USS so try tightening the pivot bolt (mine
takes a 1/2 inch wrench on top and bottom) You might have to use some force to fix the top plate. If
extreme you can add washers to the top and bottom.

Fred C Wishbone Dual 26 RT

Marc My Wishbone had loose steering as you described when I purchased it used. I tightened it down
and a month later it was loose again.

The bearing housing had dug into the aluminum mount of the seat. I removed the seat and disassmbled
it, regreased the bearings. I added a thin stainless steel washer on each side of the bearing to
keep it from cutting deeper into the mount.

Seems to have done the trick and has needed very little adjustment since.

Be careful on sharp left turns. I have had one episode of steering reversal while turning around in
the road. It put me down instantly leaving a nice bit of road rash. I have tipped the steering
handles in close to my body to limit the steering lock now. Maybe your T-Bone has different geometry
and won't react the same.

Dave Wishbone 20/20 #102

"Marc Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi group, Does anyone have a Reynolds Weld Lab bike with USS. My handlebar pivot has some play.
> How can the play be reduced?
>
> ...Marc
>
> e-mail: [email protected] AIM: kb1d

I use a faucet washer that is drilled out to obtain the right diameter. The rubber removes all of
the play or chatter that you get from the steering rod/rod end bearing. If you are meticulous in
fitting the washer, you should end up with absolutely no play in the steering. The manufacturers
should adopt a similar mod for USS. There is no excuse for having any play in the steering setup for
USS. "Fred C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Dual 26 RT Wishbone but it's still the same USS so try tightening the pivot bolt (mine
> takes a 1/2 inch wrench on top and bottom) You might have to use some force to fix the top plate.
> If extreme you can add
washers

dave is here wrote:

> Marc My Wishbone had loose steering as you described when I purchased it used. I tightened it down
> and a month later it was loose again....

Dave,

My Wishbone had loose steering as Marc described when I purchased it used. Coincidence? ;)

> ... Be careful on sharp left turns. I have had one episode of steering reversal while turning
> around in the road. It put me down instantly leaving a nice bit of road rash. I have tipped the
> steering handles in close to my body to limit the steering lock now. Maybe your T-Bone has
> different geometry and won't react the same....

You must attempt a lot tighter U-turns than I ever would. I was aware that front wheel could go past
90 degrees [1], but I never thought this would occur during riding.

It is possible to tilt the handlebars in too much - I went for a VERY SHORT ride once
after doing so.

[1] As happened once when loading the bike into a hatchback.

On my Wishbone the leverage changes dramaticlly as you steer, letting the leverage change from 1.5
to 4.5 by the time the handlebars are turned 30° left, at about 40° the leverage ratio basicly hits
infinity. The front wheel will change much more angle as the handlebars are moved further from
center. The tab is mounted slightly behind the plane of the axle on my fork which may aggrevate the
problem. Right turns are limited by the control rod interfacing the fork thus dampening sharp turns
to the right, having the tab behind the fork centerline prevents the leverage from increasing so
much to the right before hard interference is met.

Keep in mind this is isnt a problem at speeds over 5 mph. it is only possible at low speeds. ...I'm
not *****ing about the design, just pointing out a limitation. I sure like the USS It really gives
me something to hang on to when I am cranking it up. One caveat is that I like riding all bicycles,
usually you won't find me whining about too hard a saddle or other ergometric type of problems that
other riders seem to complain about. I generally don't ride over a 100 miles which may contribute to
my lack of discomfort.

I am intending on riding R.A.I.N. this year. I think I will be on my recumbent but you never know. I
may even do it on my fixed gear. Dave