RFI:700c carbon fork - straight vs curved legs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kwalters, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Kwalters

    Kwalters Guest

    Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least expensive forks that I have
    found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering if those straight legs are going to pound
    me into discomfort, or is there no appreciable difference in ride between straight and
    traditional fork legs?

    So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on tire size, I ride 700c*25s.

    TIA. Ken

    Tags:

  2. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    kwalters <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least expensive forks that I have
    >found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering if those straight legs are going to pound
    >me into discomfort, or is there no appreciable difference in ride between straight and
    >traditional fork legs?
    >
    >So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on tire size, I ride 700c*25s.

    No difference. The "curved" forks are effectively straight in terms of loading anyway - you'd need
    a huge hydraulic press to get any "compression" along the length of a curved fork. Then you'd need
    a new fork!

  3. Mysterex

    Mysterex Guest

    Don't know anything about the Alpha Q fork but I've done many thousands of km on my trusty Colnago
    Master Olympic with straight (steel) forks and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

    Craig.

    "kwalters" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least expensive forks that I have
    > found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering if those straight legs are going to pound
    > me into discomfort, or is there no appreciable difference in ride between straight and
    > traditional fork legs?
    >
    > So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on tire size, I ride 700c*25s.
    >
    > TIA. Ken

  4. Mack Mad

    Mack Mad Guest

    "kwalters" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least expensive forks that I have
    > found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering if those straight legs are going to pound
    > me into discomfort, or is there no appreciable difference in ride between straight and
    > traditional fork legs?
    >
    > So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on tire size, I ride 700c*25s.
    >
    > TIA. Ken

    When did Alpha Q's become "the least expensive" option?

  5. Kwalters

    Kwalters Guest

    Mack Mad wrote:

    > "kwalters" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Building up a frame so will be needing a fork. One of the least expensive forks that I have
    > > found is an Alpha Q with straight legs. I'm wondering if those straight legs are going to pound
    > > me into discomfort, or is there no appreciable difference in ride between straight and
    > > traditional fork legs?
    > >
    > > So as to not start another ride quality issue, especially centering on tire size, I ride
    > > 700c*25s.
    > >
    > > TIA. Ken
    > >

    > When did Alpha Q's become "the least expensive" option?

    Performance Summer clearance catalog: Alpha Q EX $249.99

  6. Dookie

    Dookie Guest

    fyi,

    the 'older ones' that peter refers to were made by AME, who sold the brand & design to true temper.

    also, currently on rec.bicycles.marketplace there is a (claimed) as-new ouzo pro for $200.

    $0.02,

    dookie