RFI:SRAM twist shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kwalters, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Kwalters

    Kwalters Guest

    Does anyone know if any or all of these have a friction mode? And is there any reason they wouldn't
    work on road bars?

    Thanks. Ken

    Tags:

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    kwalters wrote:
    > Does anyone know if any or all of these have a friction mode? And is there any reason they
    > wouldn't work on road bars?
    >
    > Thanks. Ken

    If you mean MRX shifters, they self-destruct pretty quickly into friction mode, only there's no
    friction. The clip that gives clicks breaks off and you have to hold them in gear.

    Putting a bit of plastic under the shifter knob gives it enough friction to hold a gear until you
    feel like replacing it again.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  3. S. Bourne

    S. Bourne Guest

    I don't have an answer as far as new stuff goes, but your bars are too thick for ATB shifters. Back
    when SRAM was GRIPSHIFT a set was made just for road bars (larger inside diameter). I put quite a
    few sets on both tri bikes and touring bikes. I love mine and wish they were still made. Mine are
    for 7 speed and triple front. Anyone got some new old stock? How about in 8 speed?

    Stan

  4. S. Bourne wrote:
    > I don't have an answer as far as new stuff goes, but your bars are too thick for ATB shifters.
    > Back when SRAM was GRIPSHIFT a set was made just for road bars (larger inside diameter). I put
    > quite a few sets on both tri bikes and touring bikes. I love mine and wish they were still made.
    > Mine are for 7 speed and triple front. Anyone got some new old stock? How about in 8 speed?

    Yep. We've got 'em. See:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#roadgrip

    | Some of my brother's paintings may be seen at: | http://junila.com |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  5. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    >The clip that gives clicks breaks off and you have to hold them in
    gear.<

    Gee. Something to look forward to. I really like the shifters on the grips that click. What should I
    replace with?