RH Campy Ergo Lever -> Friction Conversion?

To most I'm quite sure this will seem like quite an odd question. I
have been wondering about, though, for quite some time. Main thrust is
that I'd like to know if it is in the realm of possibility to convert a
current generation righthand Campagnolo ergo lever to friction mode, as
the left lever.
I have always liked the Campy Ergo levers, but cannot see locking
myself into having only modern Campy hubs/cassettes/derailleurs. I have
a large collection of frames and older equipment, including dozens of
old Suntour freewheels, and several Phil Wood and Suntour
freewheel-based wheelsets. I constantly interchange these, and thus it
is just not realistic to outfit all my bikes with all modern Campy
set-ups. Besides, I rather like the old 7 speed freewheels for the
level of gear customization I can get (show me a modern all-campy
set-up that will give me a 50,36 double chainwheel combo and a
13,15,17,20,23,26,28 cogset).
I have never before taken apart an Ergo lever, but I understand it to
be a do-able task. I certainly do not know the details of the way the
lever works, but it seems to me it ought to be possible to replace the
ratcheting mechanism of the RH lever with one for a LH lever. Unless,
of course, the mechanism is shaped specifically to the direction it
faces.
I'd be damn interested in hearing of anyone's experience with servicing
Ergo levers.

[email protected] wrote:

> To most I'm quite sure this will seem like quite an odd question. I
> have been wondering about, though, for quite some time. Main thrust is
> that I'd like to know if it is in the realm of possibility to convert a
> current generation righthand Campagnolo ergo lever to friction mode, as
> the left lever.

I don't think so.

> I have always liked the Campy Ergo levers, but cannot see locking
> myself into having only modern Campy hubs/cassettes/derailleurs. I have
> a large collection of frames and older equipment, including dozens of
> old Suntour freewheels, and several Phil Wood and Suntour
> freewheel-based wheelsets. I constantly interchange these, and thus it
> is just not realistic to outfit all my bikes with all modern Campy
> set-ups. Besides, I rather like the old 7 speed freewheels for the
> level of gear customization I can get (show me a modern all-campy
> set-up that will give me a 50,36 double chainwheel combo and a
> 13,15,17,20,23,26,28 cogset).
> I have never before taken apart an Ergo lever, but I understand it to
> be a do-able task. I certainly do not know the details of the way the
> lever works, but it seems to me it ought to be possible to replace the
> ratcheting mechanism of the RH lever with one for a LH lever. Unless,
> of course, the mechanism is shaped specifically to the direction it
> faces.

They are, you'd need a mirror image front disc.

However, there's good news too! There's a lot of Campagnolo 8-speed
stuff out there on the used market, and Campagnolo 8-speed spacing is 5
mm, same as everybody's 7-speed, so any 7-speed freewheel will index
with 8-speed Ergos.

Sheldon "Where There's A Will..." Brown
| In theory, there's no difference between theory |
| and practice; but, in practice, there is. |
+---------------------------------------------------+,
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Thanks, Sheldon. I'd thought to just email you first--not surprising
you're the first to reply. I'd suspected as much about the mirror-image
problem. I wonder what the odds are I could machine one up on my
handy-dandy desktop mill...
I'd heard that about the 8 speed levers. I guess I will go ahead and
score a set. I see them all the time on ebay. Question, though: I have
heard the pre 9 speed levers had severe problems, mechanically, and
just basically stopped working after so many miles. True?
Too bad they don't make a friction option for the RH lever. I think
it'd be a big seller. I, for one, would probably buy at least 4 sets
right off the bat. Ah, well.
Thanks again.

[email protected] wrote:
> To most I'm quite sure this will seem like quite an odd question. I
> have been wondering about, though, for quite some time. Main thrust is
> that I'd like to know if it is in the realm of possibility to convert
> a current generation righthand Campagnolo ergo lever to friction
> mode, as the left lever.

Even though the left lever is not indexed as such, it does not work like a
friction lever. It has a ratchet mechanism similar to the right lever's,
providing a micro-indexed function. It clicks and moves the front
derailleur in small steps, but these cable-pull steps would be too big to
fine-tune a rear derailleur.

However, either lever with worn-out ratchet springs (or certain parts
broken* or missing**) does behave like a friction lever, with no clicks,
except with not very much friction!--not enough to use safely as gears are
then prone to slipping. But perhaps a way of increasing the friction
could be worked out.

* Spring carrier?
** Ratchet springs??

~PB

[email protected] wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I have heard the pre 9 speed levers had severe problems,
> mechanically, and just basically stopped working after so many
> miles.

That is Shimano levers not Campy. The Campy ones go on forever and when
they do get weak you can rebuild them for a few bucks.

michael-<< Main thrust is
that I'd like to know if it is in the realm of possibility to convert a
current generation righthand Campagnolo ergo lever to friction mode, as
the left lever. >><BR><BR>

No. The left and right disc are mirror image so it's not possible to put a left
in a right or anything else.

michael-<< I have always liked the Campy Ergo levers, but cannot see locking
myself into having only modern Campy hubs/cassettes/derailleurs. I have
a large collection of frames and older equipment, including dozens of
old Suntour freewheels, and several Phil Wood and Suntour
freewheel-based wheelsets. I constantly interchange these, and thus it
is just not realistic to outfit all my bikes with all modern Campy
set-ups. >><BR><BR>

Well get some friction down tube or bar end shifters and then use any
rear/front der with any cogset/freewheel/hub. Altho lever mounted shifting is
'nice' is just that, 'nice' but not essential to the ride.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

michael-<< Question, though: I have
heard the pre 9 speed levers had severe problems, mechanically, and
just basically stopped working after so many miles. True? >><BR><BR>

I answer-not true for Campagnolo. The innards of the levers are the same,
essentially, 8s/9s/10s and all are servicable, fixable, most are convertible.

Ya must be thinking about shimano-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

>I'd heard that about the 8 speed levers. I guess I will go ahead and
>score a set. I see them all the time on ebay. Question, though: I have
>heard the pre 9 speed levers had severe problems, mechanically, and
>just basically stopped working after so many miles. True?

The right hand shifter springs wear and must be periodically replaced.

The G-springs which engage the ratchet need replacement most often
and the thumb spring lasts a bit longer. I seem to get about 3 years out of
those parts. My front right return spring disappeared after 9 years.

--
9/11 was a premptive attack

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:57:22 -0700, [email protected] (Drew
Eckhardt) wrote:

>The G-springs which engage the ratchet need replacement most often
>and the thumb spring lasts a bit longer. I seem to get about 3 years out of
>those parts. My front right return spring disappeared after 9 years.

I've had poor luck with spring carriers. They don't seem to last me
more than the springs. I am using the newer version with the
reinforced post but they still split where the post attachment to the
ring is. I'd really like a steel part.

paul-<< I've had poor luck with spring carriers. They don't seem to last me
more than the springs. I am using the newer version with the
reinforced post but they still split where the post attachment to the
ring is. I'd really like a steel part. >><BR><BR>

Dremel the spot on the back cap just above the EC-RE-=111 post and also make
the 'notch' in EC-RE-057 flat instead of square shaped..or throw it away.
Geatly reduces post and center section breaks of the spring carrier.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302