Ribble - any good?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thinking about having a bike built by Ribble. Are they any good?

    D.

    Tags:

  2. the last time i used ribble i got terrible customer service - they're OK if nothing goes wrong but a
    total bunch of A**holes when things do

    news:mU2Da.1368$%[email protected]...
    > Thinking about having a bike built by Ribble. Are they any good?
    >
    > D.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In news:mU2Da.1368$%[email protected], Dave <[email protected]> typed:
    > > Thinking about having a bike built by Ribble. Are they any good?
    > >
    > > D.
    >
    > Search urc under "Ribble" on Google Groups for the answer
    >
    > Tony

    I've only bought handbuilt wheels from them, not a complete bike. The wheels (Record/Open Pro) were
    the cheapest around, came with Mavic wheels bags and were excellently built. I did request Sapim
    spokes however, but they were only willing to build on the spokes they use. £179 for a pair of
    quality wheels though, can't complain.

    --
    Mark

  5. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 16:12:06 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thinking about having a bike built by Ribble. Are they any good?

    Good bikes, lousy shop to deal with. Some people get lucky, all too many didn't. They're on my "I
    don't care how cheap the advert is, I'm never dealing with them again" list.

  6. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    I've had frames, wheels & tyres as well as groupsets from them with no problems at all. I think that
    when they're busy the Ralph Nader Friday syndrome appears to kick in though. All the best Dan G

  7. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<mU2Da.1368$%[email protected]>...
    > Thinking about having a bike built by Ribble. Are they any good?

    Depends - if you live in the North-West and can easily visit the shop in person, you should be OK.
    Mail order best avoided, though.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  8. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I agree with many of the posts about Ribble - especially their customer service; they're not the most compliant bunch.

    Anyway, I had a bike fitted with their measuring system over the web and it was a little too big. If you can, make a journey to the shop in Preston and get a bike fitted and then they can send it on to you - it costs £20. It's the only way to be sure.

    On the plus side, the bikes that they make are excellent - especially in terms of value. If you look around at other makes, you'll have to pay £200-300 more to get the equivalent quality of bike.

    I had mine stolen but I'm going to get it replaced with another Ribble soon.

  9. kittaen

    kittaen New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2003
    Bought a bike from them toward the end of last year,amazing value for the spec I ordered as I more or less picked each component individually,they were great to deal with,delivered on time and the bike was immaculate.Slight problems noticed after 8 months of light use but took it up with them on the phone(I live quite a long way away) and they payed to have the bike picked up,fixed it promptly for me and delivered it back free of charge.The bike cost me just under £600 initially and I have recently spent a further £200 with Ribble on upgrades.Will definately be dealing with them in future.Maybe I had better luck with them than some because I'm a girlie ???:D