Ribble Cycles: a warning

Pete Biggs

Guest
One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter, phone and
email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now seems like they are
deliberately winding me up and they have stopped answering my emails (I
know they still receive and read emails).

These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the misfortune
of dealing with. Dear reader, I strongly suggest you never order anything
from them. They cannot be trusted to correct mistakes and are clearly
extremely incompetent if not dishonest if not psychopathic!

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
> permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter, phone and
> email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now seems like they are
> deliberately winding me up and they have stopped answering my emails (I
> know they still receive and read emails).
>
> These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the misfortune
> of dealing with. Dear reader, I strongly suggest you never order anything
> from them. They cannot be trusted to correct mistakes and are clearly
> extremely incompetent if not dishonest if not psychopathic!

never had a problem, try phoning them

Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
> One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
> permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter, phone and
> email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now seems like they are
> deliberately winding me up and they have stopped answering my emails (I
> know they still receive and read emails).
>
> These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the misfortune
> of dealing with. Dear reader, I strongly suggest you never order anything
> from them. They cannot be trusted to correct mistakes and are clearly
> extremely incompetent if not dishonest if not psychopathic!

If you have a case, a small claims court action would probably be
quite effective. Cycle shops have lots of nice kit for the bailiffs to
go after & they know it.

Phil

MartinM wrote:

> never had a problem, try phoning them

Isn't that what Pete said he did?

Curious as to how they managed to take money out of his bank account
without permission though. Surely a matter for the bank to answer on.

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>>
>> never had a problem,

Your luck might not last forever.

> try phoning them
>>

> Isn't that what Pete said he did?

Yes indeed, as well as writing and emailing. They say they will "sort
this refund out" but nothing happens.

> Curious as to how they managed to take money out of his bank account
> without permission though.

I don't know how they managed it either. They charged my debit card twice
for an order and sent duplicate goods (several days after the initial
order), then refused to refund until they had the goods back, then failed
to fully refund once I did return the goods. After several requests they
only refunded /some/ of the money.

> Surely a matter for the bank to answer on.

The bank have told me it wasn't their fault so I should claim from the
company, but I don't think they should have allowed the debit in the first
place. I will get back to them again.

~PB

Phil Armstrong wrote:
> Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
>
>>One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
>>permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter, phone and
>>email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now seems like they are
>>deliberately winding me up and they have stopped answering my emails (I
>>know they still receive and read emails).
>>
>>These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the misfortune
>>of dealing with. Dear reader, I strongly suggest you never order anything
>>from them. They cannot be trusted to correct mistakes and are clearly
>>extremely incompetent if not dishonest if not psychopathic!

> If you have a case, a small claims court action would probably be
> quite effective. Cycle shops have lots of nice kit for the bailiffs to
> go after & they know it.

"If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
chap's bank account. Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version? If
it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business at
all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more remunerative.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

"Pete Biggs" <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven wrote:
> > MartinM wrote:
> >>
> >> never had a problem,

> Your luck might not last forever.

the only problem I ever had with them was a two month delay in getting a
frame, but that was because I ordered the wrong size. But I have heard a lot
of bad s**t about them. I still think it is more disorganisation than
dishonesty though. Good Luck with the claim if you do go down that road.

JLB wrote:
> Phil Armstrong wrote:
>> Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
>>
>>> One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
>>> permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter,
>>> phone and email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now
>>> seems like they are deliberately winding me up and they have
>>> stopped answering my emails (I know they still receive and read
>>> emails).
>>>
>>> These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the
>>> misfortune of dealing with. Dear reader, I strongly suggest you
>>> never order anything from them. They cannot be trusted to correct
>>> mistakes and are clearly extremely incompetent if not dishonest if
>>> not psychopathic!

>> If you have a case, a small claims court action would probably be
>> quite effective. Cycle shops have lots of nice kit for the bailiffs
>> to go after & they know it.

> "If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
> that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
> chap's bank account. Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version? If
> it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business
> at all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more
> remunerative.

I have heard enough about Ribble Cycles on various forums etc. to never
touch them with the proverbial bargepole.

Sam Salt

Pete Biggs wrote:

>> Surely a matter for the bank to answer on.

> The bank have told me it wasn't their fault so I should claim from the
> company, but I don't think they should have allowed the debit in the
> first place. I will get back to them again.

Assuming your bank account is in reasonably good order, suggesting to your
bank that you plan to walk to one which is more friendly towards their
customers might change their mind.

If dealing with a telephone bank, insist on speaking to a supervisor of the
call centre agent, though given the choice, I would suggest a branch visit
is the way to deal with them.

- Nigel

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/
Replies to newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

JLB wrote:

> "If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
> that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
> chap's bank account. Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version? If
> it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business at
> all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more remunerative.

Its not dissimilar to my one and only experience of Ribble. My bank
were very supportive and with their help reversed the position on Ribble
who were then not happy bunnies. Fortunately I don't intend to ever use
them again.

Tony

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:27:41 +0000, JLB <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
>that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
>chap's bank account. Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version? If
>it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business at
>all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more remunerative.

Well then lets put this in context: urc'ers know that Pete Biggs is a
reasonable and fair minded bloke, we also know that the web is stuffed
full of accounts of shitty service from Ribble Cycles.

--

Call me "Bob"

"More oneness, less categories,
Open hearts, no strategies"

JLB wrote:
> Phil Armstrong wrote:
>
>> Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
>>
>>> One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
>>> permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter, phone and
>>> email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now seems like they are
>>> deliberately winding me up and they have stopped answering my emails (I
>>> know they still receive and read emails).
>>>
>>> These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the misfortune
>>> of dealing with. Dear reader, I strongly suggest you never order
>>> anything
>>> from them. They cannot be trusted to correct mistakes and are clearly
>>> extremely incompetent if not dishonest if not psychopathic!

>> If you have a case, a small claims court action would probably be
>> quite effective. Cycle shops have lots of nice kit for the bailiffs to
>> go after & they know it.

> "If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
> that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
> chap's bank account. Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version? If
> it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business at
> all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more remunerative.

Pete explained above that they didn't just raid his account.

Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> MartinM wrote:

> Your luck might not last forever.
>> try phoning them
>>>

>> Isn't that what Pete said he did?

> Yes indeed, as well as writing and emailing. They say they will "sort
> this refund out" but nothing happens.
>
>> Curious as to how they managed to take money out of his bank account
>> without permission though.

> I don't know how they managed it either. They charged my debit card twice
> for an order and sent duplicate goods (several days after the initial
> order), then refused to refund until they had the goods back, then failed
> to fully refund once I did return the goods. After several requests they
> only refunded /some/ of the money.

>> Surely a matter for the bank to answer on.

> The bank have told me it wasn't their fault so I should claim from the
> company, but I don't think they should have allowed the debit in the first
> place. I will get back to them again.

Since it's a debit card, not a credit card, the bank might not
actually have any legal responsibility (I have absolutely no idea
about this).

Anyway. Given that your main beef is with ribble, I suggest you

1) Send them a letter by recorded delivery demanding payment within
two weeks and warning them that you intend to take the case to the
small claims court if they fail to pay. (lots of websites will give
you the best wording for this kind of letter)[1].
2) When they fail to make the refund, take them to the small claims
court.

It's very unlikely that they'll fail to pay after that -- they know
how vulnerable they are to having their goods taken by the bailiffs.

But if you're not prepared to follow through then they could keep
messing you around forever.

Phil

[1] My understanding is that you have to give a specific time limit
which has to be a reasonable time for them to make the payment,
otherwise the small claims court action will be more
difficult. Two weeks appears to be the consensus view.

MSeries wrote:
> JLB wrote:

>> "If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
>> that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
>> chap's bank account. Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version? If
>> it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business
>> at all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more
>> remunerative.
>>

> Pete explained above that they didn't just raid his account.

Yes, and that was helpful. At the time I composed the above his follow
up post had not appeared, so there was no information about the events
leading up to his problems. It's clearer now.

I will still hold to the general principle that if somebody I do not
know (I realise other people do know Pete and have vouched for him, but
I do not know him) announces that some business should be boycotted, it
would be excessively trusting to accept it without question. It would
also be an open invitation to malicious people.
--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:22:48 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>The bank have told me it wasn't their fault so I should claim from the
>company, but I don't think they should have allowed the debit in the first
>place. I will get back to them again.

On what grounds should the bank initally have rejected the debit? If
Ribble had your card details it would have been indistinguishable from
a legitimate one.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:15:41 +0000, Phil Armstrong
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Pete Biggs <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
>> One month ago, Ribble Cycles took money from my bank account without
>> permission. Despite contacting them numerous times by letter, phone and
>> email, I still have not been fully refunded. It now seems like they are
>> deliberately winding me up and they have stopped answering my emails (I
>> know they still receive and read emails).
>>
>> These people are the worst bunch of wankers I've ever had the misfortune
>> of dealing with.

>If you have a case, a small claims court action would probably be
>quite effective. Cycle shops have lots of nice kit for the bailiffs to
>go after & they know it.

Yeah but want a pain when all you want is a pair of tyres or whatever,
and should REALLY have have satisfaction in the first place.

I have ALWAYS maintained that generally company Customers Services in
the UK is ****. I buy a bit from Germany (non cycling stuff) and the
CS is terrific, as well as the quick postage and helpful enquiries
staff. Ooh and PRICE.

I am slightly suprised at Pete's comments (I don't know Pete from
Adam) but through the generally helpful, non patronising, non sniping
way he posts, I think I'd buy him a beer at the end of a long cycle
run.

I have had NO problem with Ribble at all (had nothing to refund
though) but have been VERY interested in all the Ribble posts, not
just here, but 'around'

I am now also 'minded' to steer (pun) clear of Ribble in the future.

MANY more cycling supply companies out there, so if you are 'looking'
in Ribble ........ YOU will be the losers.

MM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:22:13 +0000, Jack Ouzzi
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have had NO problem with Ribble at all (had nothing to refund
>though) but have been VERY interested in all the Ribble posts, not
>just here, but 'around'
>
>I am now also 'minded' to steer (pun) clear of Ribble in the future.
>
>MANY more cycling supply companies out there, so if you are 'looking'
>in Ribble ........ YOU will be the losers.

This is the puzzling thing. Even if they have no personal interest in
being nice it must cost them more in lost business from people who
know how to google than it would to give decent service in the first
place. I've not dealt with them and I'm not ever likely to because of
the impression I have of them. That is that they're great as long as
you don't hit a snag but a total pain in the bum if you do.

--

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>>MartinM wrote:
>>
>>>never had a problem,

> Your luck might not last forever.
>

>>try phoning them
>>
>>Isn't that what Pete said he did?

> Yes indeed, as well as writing and emailing. They say they will "sort
> this refund out" but nothing happens.
>

>>Curious as to how they managed to take money out of his bank account
>>without permission though.

> I don't know how they managed it either. They charged my debit card twice
> for an order and sent duplicate goods (several days after the initial
> order), then refused to refund until they had the goods back, then failed
> to fully refund once I did return the goods. After several requests they
> only refunded /some/ of the money.
>

>>Surely a matter for the bank to answer on.

> The bank have told me it wasn't their fault so I should claim from the
> company, but I don't think they should have allowed the debit in the first
> place. I will get back to them again.
>
> ~PB

Is it a 'restocking fee' or return postage they refuse to pay ? I
presume since they made the original mistake you see no reason why you
should have to fork out. I agree with you. I had a similar thig with
SJSC. They recommended a specific size BB, I bought one, they were wrong
and I didn't need it. I returned it and they refunded my money, BUT the
refund brought my order value to less than £50 so they refunded the
amound less £5 for original P&P. Nothing really wrong but I increased my
original order specifically to avoid paying P&P. I therefore had to pay
a couple of quid to return the BB to them then received about 1/4 of its
cost back. I try to avoid dealing with them these days, I wish I'd
flogged the BB on eBay.

MSeries wrote:

> Is it a 'restocking fee' or return postage they refuse to pay ?

They have not even fully refunded for the goods returned (that I did not
order), let alone all my expenses. They don't dispute receiving the
goods, don't seem to dispute anything, they just don't give me my money
back and offer no explaination whatsoever.

A refund for two items + expenses is still outsanding. All returned items
were completely unused.

I know they received the goods from Recorded Delivery tracking info and I
was eventually refunded for one of the items enclosed.

~PB

JLB wrote:

>> If you have a case, a small claims court action would probably be
>> quite effective. Cycle shops have lots of nice kit for the bailiffs
>> go after & they know it.

Do I need to use a court local to the company or local to me?

> "If" being quite a significant word. The story so far seems to imply
> that Ribble Cycles simply appeared out of nowhere to raid this poor
> chap's bank account.

That is what it felt like, that was the effect. They made a completely
unathorised charge to my debit card some days after an order for which I
was already charged.

The story is complicated by the fact that I returned two items for a
refund from the original order, but that doesn't explain or justify
sending the whole order again and charging again. It was either a bizarre
mistake or their idea of punishmment for daring to return (unused) items
that were not as described.

I did eventaully get a refund for those items but have so far only been
refunded for one of the three (unused, unsolicited) items in the second
lot I returned (all in the same parcel).

The matter is further complicated by £50 bank charges which resulted from
the unauthorised debit (as my account went into the red), for which I'm
trying to claim in addition. (Ribble said they would refund these on
receipt of proof but have not actually done so).

> Would Ribble Cycles contradict this version?

They have not denied it.

> If
> it's true, I wonder why Ribble Cycles bothers with the bike business
> at all. Emptying people's bank accounts at will is surely more
> remunerative.

It is true (not that I mind you questioning). I suspect they're happy
with the business they get from their weekly CW ad and can afford to mess
the odd person about for fun when they feel like it. Probably the number
of people influenced by bad reports on the internet is not enough to
bother them, sadly.

~PB