Ribble Road Bikes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Robert Duley, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Robert Duley

    Robert Duley Guest

    I am thinking of buying a new road bike and have been playing around with
    the bike builder function on Ribble's web site. What are they like as a
    mail order company? Has anyone had any particularly good or bad experiences?

    Rob

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Robert Duley wrote:
    > I am thinking of buying a new road bike and have been playing around
    > with the bike builder function on Ribble's web site. What are they
    > like as a mail order company? Has anyone had any particularly good or
    > bad experiences?

    I've had several bad experiences, ranging in severety from being sent
    mis-described inner tubes to what felt like attempted theft: They charged
    my debit card for goods I didn't order, plunging my bank account into the
    red (for which I incurred charges). It took five weeks of phoning, letter
    writing and emailing to get my money back, except they never did
    compensate for all my expenses.

    ~PB

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Robert Duley wrote:
    >> I am thinking of buying a new road bike and have been playing around
    >> with the bike builder function on Ribble's web site. What are they
    >> like as a mail order company? Has anyone had any particularly good or
    >> bad experiences?

    > I've had several bad experiences, ranging in severety from being sent
    > mis-described inner tubes to what felt like attempted theft: They charged
    > my debit card for goods I didn't order, plunging my bank account into the
    > red (for which I incurred charges). It took five weeks of phoning, letter
    > writing and emailing to get my money back, except they never did
    > compensate for all my expenses.

    I've had bad experiences too - wrong stuff, damaged stuff and missing
    stuff. They were totally disinterested until my bank showed me how to
    cancel a cheque with a cheque guarantee number on it. Then they got
    irate because it was affecting them rather me for a change. Wouldn't
    touch them with a barge pole.

    A Google of urc with Ribble probably tells you all you need to know.

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Robert Duley wrote:
    > I am thinking of buying a new road bike and have been playing around with
    > the bike builder function on Ribble's web site. What are they like as a
    > mail order company? Has anyone had any particularly good or bad experiences?

    I have had good service from them, but only bought components and a
    frame; the frame did take a long time to arrive but have had no other
    problems. I personally would buy a bike from them; would just make sure
    I didn't need it for a while.

  5. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Sorry to hear about the previous poster's reply.

    I purchased a road bike from Ribble a couple of years ago. All things considered, the service was fine.

    However, I can't say I was convinced about the sizing method used. I remember spending ages tinkering around with tape measures and agonising over which size to go for. When it arrived, it was definitely a little too large.

    Personally, I wouldn't purchase a bike unless I had at the very least sat on it. Seeing as you're going to be riding it for long hours, comfort is the most important thing.

    However, I would say that I reckon that Ribble are very good value for money and it might even be worth making the journey there from wherever you are in England.