Ric Stern -- info wanted on article

antoineg

Jun 13, 2003
Ric -- you published an article in May of 1998 in Cycling Weekly titled "Is it time to legalise drugs?"

What was the gist of this article?

antoineg said:
Ric -- you published an article in May of 1998 in Cycling Weekly titled "Is it time to legalise drugs?"

What was the gist of this article?

i was asked to play 'Devils Advocate' and to write an article on why taking drugs in sport should be legalised (or not banned). the article gave a host of reasons why it should be okay to do so.

of course, it goes without saying that in practice i'm vehemently against drug taking, and detest doping (and drug taking in non sports situation).

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
i was asked to play 'Devils Advocate' and to write an article on why taking drugs in sport should be legalised (or not banned). the article gave a host of reasons why it should be okay to do so.

of course, it goes without saying that in practice i'm vehemently against drug taking, and detest doping (and drug taking in non sports situation).
Is the article online?

ric_stern/RST said:
no. it was actually published in July 98 in the middle of the Festina affair.
was there anything you particularly wanted to know about it?
Nope....I just thought it might have been a good read.

cheers

Anyone heard about the Tyler Hamilton scandal? According to this weeks cycling publications he tested positive for a test but denies any drug use.
David Millar also claimed he was almost roughed up by French police in his Bordeaux flat.

Carrera said:
. . . roughed up by French police . . .
Aaaahhh, Ha Ha Ha Ha!! That's too funny. :D Thanks Carrera, that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Here's an article on Hamilton:
http://www2.townonline.com/marblehead/schoolSports/view.bg?articleid=95589

Cyclist Tyler Hamilton, a hill climber extraordinaire, may have conquered his toughest summit Friday when the International Olympic Committee ruled the Marblehead native and winner of the time-trial event at the 2004 Athens Games will keep his gold medal.

That is, unless the Russian Olympic team has its way. The Olympian and Tour de France veteran tested positive for signs of blood doping in an initial sample following his victory in Greece in mid-August. Hamilton also tested positive during the Tour de Spain earlier this month.

The Russian Cycling Federation criticized the IOC's decision to drop its doping probe of Hamilton, filing an appeal on Tuesday.

It amazes me the Russians should be so fussy. When I trained over there in 97 I was literally treading over hyperdermic needles. They used to leave them on the wooden gym floor in the stadia. Then there was the cost of the stuff. Russian Dianabol is dirt cheap, although I never used the stuff or any drug.

Yes, this is true about David Millar as there's an interview with him in a cycling magazine. The police burst into his flat, located his stuff and one of them apparently said:

"Just give me one excuse to knock you down."

Millar said he kept his cool but felt that if he'd shown any actual resistance they'd have wacked him. As it was he was very roughly handcuffed.

Armstrong also had a few problems which is why he moved over to Spain. People used to watch his house and look through the rubbish in his bins, trying to find evidence of drugs.

Doctor Morbius said:
Aaaahhh, Ha Ha Ha Ha!! That's too funny. :D Thanks Carrera, that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Here's an article on Hamilton:
http://www2.townonline.com/marblehead/schoolSports/view.bg?articleid=95589

Cyclist Tyler Hamilton, a hill climber extraordinaire, may have conquered his toughest summit Friday when the International Olympic Committee ruled the Marblehead native and winner of the time-trial event at the 2004 Athens Games will keep his gold medal.

That is, unless the Russian Olympic team has its way. The Olympian and Tour de France veteran tested positive for signs of blood doping in an initial sample following his victory in Greece in mid-August. Hamilton also tested positive during the Tour de Spain earlier this month.

The Russian Cycling Federation criticized the IOC's decision to drop its doping probe of Hamilton, filing an appeal on Tuesday.

Carrera said:
It amazes me the Russians should be so fussy. When I trained over there in 97 I was literally treading over hyperdermic needles. They used to leave them on the wooden gym floor in the stadia. Then there was the cost of the stuff. Russian Dianabol is dirt cheap, although I never used the stuff or any drug.

Yes, this is true about David Millar as there's an interview with him in a cycling magazine. The police burst into his flat, located his stuff and one of them apparently said:

"Just give me one excuse to knock you down."

Millar said he kept his cool but felt that if he'd shown any actual resistance they'd have wacked him. As it was he was very roughly handcuffed.

Armstrong also had a few problems which is why he moved over to Spain. People used to watch his house and look through the rubbish in his bins, trying to find evidence of drugs.
I just had a mental picture of a bunch of twinks looking like Adam Ant wearing Bonaparte suits roughing some guy up. Here in the States the French aren't really known for their masculinity if you catch my drift. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Russians have no ground to stand on when it comes to *****ing about roids. The States is pretty bad too but not what you've described about Russia. Our open border policy with Mexico and NAFTA isn't making them any harder to get either.

I wouldn't say the French were effeminate, although guys tend to sip wine and coffee in French bars as opposed to tankards of beer. I used to live, more or less, on the French border and am aware they have the same kind of bull runs as in Spain. This consists of running for your life while a herd of bulls charges behind you, tossing anyone who gets in the way. I had a go myself but, the day I ran, they changed the bulls from small to heavyweights so when I looked behind I saw these huge monsters with horns right behind me. I heard John Kerry was tossed but I assume he was lucky and not seriously injured.
I guess the best place to cycle could be around Pamplona where there are mountains and quite close to France.

Doctor Morbius said:
I just had a mental picture of a bunch of twinks looking like Adam Ant wearing Bonaparte suits roughing some guy up. Here in the States the French aren't really known for their masculinity if you catch my drift. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Russians have no ground to stand on when it comes to *****ing about roids. The States is pretty bad too but not what you've described about Russia. Our open border policy with Mexico and NAFTA isn't making them any harder to get either.